Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it just me, or do others find this equally offputting?

I worry about what people thinking about getting into film for the first time will think regarding the company they'll potentially be keeping.

They do a lot of good work and they have a ton of valuable information, but the style of presentation makes me cringe.

12-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No different from the rubbish you'd find in Popular Photography, which also had loads of useful information. I only read it for the gear ads anyway.
12-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A lotta folks like the Super Hype presentation style, myself, ehhhhhh. After watching the video I will be looking for some Kodak 2254 Be great to say I shot ASA 1.6 once.
12-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Be great to say I shot ASA 1.6 once.
LOL what do you do on an older film camera where both the camera and the lens only have the formal full stops (no half-stop clicks) and standard shutter speeds? Overexpose by half a stop is my guess. 1 sec at f/16 in bright sunlight, wow!

On the other hand, if the reciprocity characteristics are merciful (and they had better be), you could forget about needing ND filters to capture that smooth-water look.

12-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed. Their presentation could use some polishing.
12-04-2017, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy their podcasts. I get very little actual useful information from them, but they've developed a loose ensemble style and a homemade ethos (even to the music they use) that's lots of fun. This clip is in their usual style. There are plenty of places to go for overly serious (and self-serious) photo talk; FPP is not one of them.
12-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I enjoy their podcasts. I get very little actual useful information from them, but they've developed a loose ensemble style and a homemade ethos (even to the music they use) that's lots of fun. This clip is in their usual style. There are plenty of places to go for overly serious (and self-serious) photo talk; FPP is not one of them.
Who knew marketing film THE WRONG WAY could get folks all hot and bothered?

12-04-2017, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Who knew marketing film THE WRONG WAY could get folks all hot and bothered?
On the one hand they're fighting to keep a medium from dying out and resurrecting the rarer species; on the other hand, as I see it, their jokey behaviour plays to such a specific demographic that I worry others might feel alienated.

It's one of the reasons I'm even a bit leery about (for example) Matt Day. His presentation style is far more mature, technical and competent, but the minute he starts talking about Leicas he's potentially shut out a huge swath of people who can't or don't see their way to anything more than a secondhand K1000. To most casual watchers who say "Wow, is film really back?", it might feel like it's a choice between unserious hipsters with instamatics and novelty films & a small elite using cameras that are (perceived as being) beyond the reach of most would-be film shooters. Not what you need for a medium that's been sitting on the brink for years and is only just starting to claw its way back.

If I had the time I'd do it myself and try to take a middle road, but time is something I don't have now that my children are old enough for their after-school activities to have metastasized well into the evening across the entire week. And it's only going to get worse.
12-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
LOL what do you do on an older film camera where both the camera and the lens only have the formal full stops (no half-stop clicks) and standard shutter speeds? Overexpose by half a stop is my guess. 1 sec at f/16 in bright sunlight, wow!

On the other hand, if the reciprocity characteristics are merciful (and they had better be), you could forget about needing ND filters to capture that smooth-water look.
Found a place selling it and they suggest set to lowest asa setting and subtract 5 stops. Then again I've got a Sekonic that should meter it
12-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Found a place selling it and they suggest set to lowest asa setting and subtract 5 stops. Then again I've got a Sekonic that should meter it
The issue I was getting at was more that Sunny 16 for this film falls in between two shutter speeds, and if you're shooting (for example) a Ricoh K-mount film camera (e.g. XR-1) there are no half stops on XR-series lenses (except on the full-open setting for the 50mm f/1.7, etc).

When in doubt, overexpose by half a stop, I guess. I have a battery-less Sekonic that goes down to 6 ASA, therefore two stops above that 1.6 ASA colour film, and anyone who shoots a film that slow is going to be taking things at a deliberate pace anyway.

Still, if you have an f/1.4 lens you get seven stops worth of opening, which makes 1.6 ASA hand-holdable in bright sunlight, and even f/2 lenses will manage that at a pinch. The camera whose fastest lens is an f/3.5 Asahi-Kogaku Tessar (I'm looking at you, Asahiflex) requires a much steadier hand at such low film speeds. For casual handheld work there, you need the blistering speed of Kodachrome 25.
12-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film Photography Project's TOP 5 Ultra Cool & Different 35mm Films! - YouTube

I worry about what people thinking about getting into film for the first time will think regarding the company they'll potentially be keeping.

They do a lot of good work and they have a ton of valuable information, but the style of presentation makes me cringe.
Apparently I'm in their demographic group because I'm a regular listener and don't have a problem with their style. I'm going to try some of the Vision 3 film based upon their characterization of it.
12-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Apparently I'm in their demographic group because I'm a regular listener and don't have a problem with their style. I'm going to try some of the Vision 3 film based upon their characterization of it.
If you're interested in the Vision 3 film, you might want to try the Cinestill 800T and 50D. Those are the Vision 3 500T and 50D, but with the remjet removed, for more available C-41 lab processing, and they come in 36-exposure rolls instead of 24.

---------- Post added 12-04-17 at 11:21 PM ----------

And Cinestill has those in 120 format now, as well.
12-05-2017, 04:01 AM   #13

Having a choice of shutter speeds & apertures at 1 stop increments is a modern luxury. IIRC my box brownies have a single speed & just 2 apertures to pick from. OLD cameras often don't have any shutter speeds, relying on the photographer to uncover/cover the lens at appropriate timing.

12-05-2017, 04:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dConvert Quote
Having a choice of shutter speeds & apertures at 1 stop increments is a modern luxury.
Granted, some old cameras make Holgas look pretty sophisticated, but the true point I was making is that even Super Takumar lenses have intermediate aperture clicks near the wide open end whereas later-generation K-mount Rikenon-P lenses did not.
12-05-2017, 04:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you're interested in the Vision 3 film, you might want to try the Cinestill 800T and 50D. Those are the Vision 3 500T and 50D, but with the remjet removed, for more available C-41 lab processing, and they come in 36-exposure rolls instead of 24.

---------- Post added 12-04-17 at 11:21 PM ----------

And Cinestill has those in 120 format now, as well.
OK, thanks for the heads up on Cinestill. Their 120mm format 50D film has interest for me as well.