Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #1

Best lens for still life

I have a Pentax K5II and at the moment I mainly take still life picture. I do not have a major set up but enought for the moment but unfortunately I do not have too much space which i found a limiting factor. Besides a 18-135 which is giving me mixed results i use a Pentax M 85 F2 and a M macro 100 F4. I am satusfied with the resultas but i am thinking to buy the Pentax 50mm Macro. Not a fan of plastic though. The need for a shorted focal is due mainly to the limited space i have. Any thoughts on this lense and any other suggestion?
In the future i may get a full frame and possible a 645, which of the two you think is more suitable for still life photos considering also the price difference?
Here is an example of my photos.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
12-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great picture.
When you use your18-135mm, do you know what focal lengths you tend to gravitate towards?
12-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes between 35-70
12-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Obviously a 645Z would be a dream.

I really like the (plastic) 50mm macro on FF:

12-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sevilla Quote
I have a Pentax K5II and at the moment I mainly take still life picture. I do not have a major set up but enought for the moment but unfortunately I do not have too much space which i found a limiting factor. Besides a 18-135 which is giving me mixed results i use a Pentax M 85 F2 and a M macro 100 F4. I am satusfied with the resultas but i am thinking to buy the Pentax 50mm Macro. Not a fan of plastic though. The need for a shorted focal is due mainly to the limited space i have. Any thoughts on this lense and any other suggestion?
In the future i may get a full frame and possible a 645, which of the two you think is more suitable for still life photos considering also the price difference?
Here is an example of my photos.
The M 50 macro is not plastic. Have you considered one of those? SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
12-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think that for what you do, the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited would be perfect.
12-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #7

Nice setup with range of warm colors. The background wallpaper gives this traces of painting. In fact painting classes make students come up with such paintings. Regarding upgrade I suggest skip K1 and go for 645.
12-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sevilla Quote
i am thinking to buy the Pentax 50mm Macro. Not a fan of plastic though.
The 50 macro on your link is the DFA50. If you donít like plastic feeling in hand, F50 macro and FA50 macro are using the same lens design. The3 siblings are full frame capable and are extremely sharp. The F and FA version are mostly metal and glass. I have the FA version, the focus ring and the small clamp are the only 2 parts I can see so fare not metal. The problem is, they are not easy to find.

DFA50

FA and F 50 macro

12-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure the macro is needed with still life. What is your working distance?

I assume you are using a tripod? If so then manual focus should be no problem. If you do not like plastic take a look at the Pentax-A 50mm lenses. They are available in f/1.4, f/1.7 and f/2.8 with the f/2.8 being the macro one.

I shoot a lot of product shots, similar to still life and have used the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 and the f/2.8 as well as the Pentax-A 200mm f/4
12-07-2017, 01:03 AM   #10
pid

did you triy the FA77 or the FA31? both have dreamy bokeh and are sharp. The DA*55 is an good option too.
12-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DFA 50mm macro is sharp edge to edge. Better than any of my other primes. This allows me to do still life reliably in-camera, then I PP as required afterwards. Works a treat with Pixel Shift too. I find it's my most used lens across all uses. Yes the FA Limiteds have that extra something, but when reliability and accuracy is required, for me, I go for the 50 macro.
12-07-2017, 05:43 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers. I may check the M 50mm macro. I like the M i have. Strange, I did not think of that before!

Last edited by Sevilla; 12-07-2017 at 07:58 PM.
12-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think that for what you do, the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited would be perfect.
Another vote from me for that one as a consideration. Roughly 50mm-ish field of view (as a film camera would see it), but macro means it's optimised for flat field with no distortion, and if for whatever reason you have a mind to get close, the DA35/2.8 can get REALLY close (practically touching). That, as much as the macro aspect, is what makes this so useful for me.

Your concerns re. limited space to back up into would also be addressed with this lens; I chose it for my medical applications for that very reason. I had found the 100 far too narrow, and I thought about the 50 but feared that also would be too narrow a field of view.

Results with the 35 proved me right. I have the original SMC version and I'm happy with it; if you can find one second hand, there would probably be no need to buy a new HD version (unless you have the money and you really, really want it).

The inbuilt hood means it can also serve as a general purpose 35mm APS-C prime for outdoor use. Note that unlike the most modern iteration of the 100/2.8 macro, it is NOT weather resistant.
12-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For APS-C, definitely consider the DA35 Macro Limited, as others suggested above. Any fiftyish FL lens, if the available space allowed for it, should be a viable alternative. (In my kit that would be the DA50, which I would try without hesitation, but you stated that you find plastic not so fantastic.) Depending on the subject, even a moderate wideangle could yield interesting results.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The first thing I'd do looking at the image above would be test the camera you used to see if the lens needs calibration. It looks like there's a DoF issue to me.The sharp part of the images seems to be plane where the little tear drop cuts in the linen, well in front of, well everything.

The exif says you took this at É2.5. I'm not sure that kind of É stop is conducive to still life. Is there a reason for F2.5 and 1/30s. IN a similar situation I'd go to at least É8 and a tripod exposure on 2 second delay. The results are pretty good if that's what you were trying to achieve, but the softnewss is not about the lens. It's about DoF and focus.