Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Archetype of the Manual 35mm Film Camera in popular culture

This I take to mean a single-lens-reflex camera which:

1) Has shutter speeds B, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, 500, 1000
2) Has a flash sync speed of 1/60 as a general rule (rarely 1/125)
3) Is typically seen fitted with a 50mm prime lens with marked apertures (1.4), 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, (22)

Non-essentials but usually seen:
1) Self-timer
2) Flash hotshoe
3) Cable sync for side-along flashbulb unit (if you're rocking it really old-school).

Inside the viewfinder:
1) +/- exposure at the very least; match-needle if you want to be fancy.
2) central focusing aid (whether split prism, fresnel, microprism circle or what have you).

Helpful extras for geeks in the know:
1) DOF preview (as a dedicated switch).
2) Mirror lockup.

What do you have which fits? My two candidates for best match are my Spotmatic F and my MX, the former probably a better pop-culture match because of the manual needle rather than the LEDs.

12-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As you mention popular culture, where would your camera be without a self-timer to take selfies and complete family groups? Or a flash hotshoe to take indoor party pictures? In fact what is the point of mentioning a flash sync speed if there is no hot shoe or PC socket, being merely options in your list?
12-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #3

Mine is a Praktica MTL5b. First SLR I had. No lock up or dual flash but it's as tough as old boots.
12-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sounds good, though there are plenty of historic examples to allow a little waffling even in popular culture and limiting to an SLR is a bit snobbish. I would suggest:
  • Some sort of visible dials or controls for exposure
  • Some sort of focus mechanism on the lens barrel or base (i.e. focusable)
  • An optical viewfinder, though not necessarily reflex
  • Provision for non-dedicated flash, including off-camera
  • Hand-holdable and small enough for one-handed shooting
  • Lever film wind (usually, but not required)

Readily identifiable examples?
  • Pentax K1000 or similar layout SLR
  • Leica-style rangefinder
  • Fixed-lens rangefinder

Examples from popular or classic media?
  • Pentax M-series (very recent, e.g. "Stranger Things")
  • Pentax K1000 and Spotmatic
  • Various Nikon models, both S and F mount
  • Exakta Varex (both in recent and classic media)
  • Zeiss Contax rangefinders and Kiev lookalikes
  • Various former Soviet cameras (particularly "no cameras allowed" signs world-wide)
  • Anything that might be taken for a Leica
  • Any fixed-lens rangefinder (i.e. '60s rich people's tourist camera)
Ask any theater prop manager what they use

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-08-2017 at 03:54 PM.
12-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
What do you have which fits? My two candidates for best match are my Spotmatic F and my MX, the former probably a better pop-culture match because of the manual needle rather than the LEDs.
Didn't the Beatles carry around Spotmatics? My vote would be the K1000, mostly because of its ubiquity. Sure, Nikon and Canon are more well known brands, but I don't think any particular one model from either brand has as many archetypal physical characteristics and the K1000 (or Spotmatic).
12-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the Beatles carried pre-Spotmatics at the time, possibly even with Auto-Takumar rather than Super Takumar lenses.

I haven't been following "Stranger Things" - which Pentax do they use?
12-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax MX according to the prop person. Photo in the link, but you might cringe if you read the text about the camera: The Stories Behind Stranger Things' Retro '80s Props | WIRED

12-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are two Pentax cameras so far in the series and much speculation about which models are shown. IIRC, the first is probably an ME and the second is an ME Super. Strangely, the prop guy for the series says MX, but the camera is obviously not that model in the shots where it is clearly seen.

Camera #1

Steve
12-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Didn't the Beatles carry around Spotmatics? My vote would be the K1000, mostly because of its ubiquity. Sure, Nikon and Canon are more well known brands, but I don't think any particular one model from either brand has as many archetypal physical characteristics and the K1000 (or Spotmatic).
I think the Beatles carried pre-Spotmatics at the time, possibly even with Auto-Takumar rather than Super Takumar lenses.
Both a chrome and black SV are present in various photographs for both Ringo and George. There is thought that one of the cameras may have been an S1a. There is also a photo showing Ringo, George, and John all with black Pentax cameras, though I could not make out the models.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-08-2017 at 10:47 PM.
12-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Three cameras that come to mind:
1) My original version Spotmatic, no hotshoe (flash must be on a bracket) and separate PC sockets for "X" and "FP"
2) maybe the best design in a lever-wind rangefinder 35mm, the Leica/Minolta CL
3) and best design in for stick-in-your-pocket super-compact, you-must-know-what-you're-doing 35mm camera, the Rollei 35.
12-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the Nikon F2 fit the bill as an archetypal movie prop.

It ticks off everything on the list, except that you had to use that adapter to hot shoe a flash.

Being bigger than an MX, it didn't get hidden in the movie star's hands as much.
12-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are two Pentax cameras so far in the series and much speculation about which models are shown. IIRC, the first is probably an ME and the second is an ME Super. Strangely, the prop guy for the series says MX, but the camera is obviously not that model in the shots where it is clearly seen.

Camera #1

Steve
That camera and flash looks identical to the MESuper kit I chose as a Sales SPIFF in 1984 (but not the lens). The MESuper + ER case, M50/1.4 + hard case and AF200s + soft vinyl case came individually boxed, packed in an outer gift-set box in the silver and red scheme.

As I opened them at my desk, my partner (who is now my boss) commented, “Oh. You got a fast lens.” I still own everything, though the MESuper has been retired due to internal corrosion. We had a basement flood and the humidity did the damage.

FWIW, I nominate KX as the Pentax archetype to fit the OP’s qualifications but K1000 being ‘The Icon’ I’ll be labeled an iconoclast.

monochrome

Last edited by monochrome; 12-09-2017 at 11:16 AM.
12-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
This I take to mean a single-lens-reflex camera which:

1) Has shutter speeds B, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, 500, 1000
2) Has a flash sync speed of 1/60 as a general rule (rarely 1/125)
3) Is typically seen fitted with a 50mm prime lens with marked apertures (1.4), 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, (22)

Non-essentials but usually seen:
1) Self-timer
2) Flash hotshoe
3) Cable sync for side-along flashbulb unit (if you're rocking it really old-school).

Inside the viewfinder:
1) +/- exposure at the very least; match-needle if you want to be fancy.
2) central focusing aid (whether split prism, fresnel, microprism circle or what have you).

Helpful extras for geeks in the know:
1) DOF preview (as a dedicated switch).
2) Mirror lockup.

The MX and Spotmatic F are nice enough, but its probably best to firstly decide whether you want to go for bayonet or screw mount. If the former then look no further back than the K series. The K1000 is popular with students, but lacks dof preview plus some other nice touches. Taking your last two criteria to heart - and all the rest - there are only four manual focus cameras you need to consider:
  1. KX; modes M B, with aperture window, 1/60 sync, match needle exp, black or silver, affordable: This if you want manual exposure only.
  2. K2; modes Av M B no aperture window, 1/125 sync, match needle exp, black or silver, affordable: This if you want manual and Av exposure.
  3. K2 DMD; modes Av M B with aperture window, 1/125 sync, match needle exp, black only, quite expensive and hard to find: This if you're a collector.
  4. and the lovely LX; modes Av M X B with aperture window, higher spec, e.g. 1/75 sec flash sync, LED + needle exp, 1/2000 shutter speed, WR, interchangable viewfinders, etc, black only, price quite high but good value for money i.m.o. This if you want the best.

The K series are similar sized to the Spotmatic, the LX is slightly smaller, and all are distinctly larger than the your MX.

There are other nice cameras out there, but I tend to limit myself to Pentax. My favourite manual focus ones from the many I have are the three Xs: KX, MX, and LX. Taking your criteria to heart, and for the sake of simplicity, I would plumb for the KX (although my alter ego wispers, "LX - you know you want it!).

Hope you find what you're looking for.
12-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I already have all I need, see my signature line.

I was asking what others had which fit the bill.

Not limited to Pentax.
12-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I already have all I need, see my signature line.

I was asking what others had which fit the bill.

Not limited to Pentax.

I think there may be some confusion regarding the term "archetype". Literally, it is "the original pattern from which copies are made" (thank you Wikipedia). I am familiar with its use in writing as plot device. In simplest terms, an archetype (usually a character and/or motif in the story) is readily recognizable by the reader and fairly predictable in the story context with deep cultural roots. Archetypes can also be objects and when invoked should result in a consistent mental image for the reader/viewer.

In "Stranger Things" (recent Netflix production) or the Hitchcock classic "Rear Window", even short glimpses of a major character's camera provide clues regarding the character, their approach to photography, and expectations of what might be done with the camera. Both the camera and the character provide universal clues to the viewer.

Steve