Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In popular culture (that is non-photographers), I'd think the most archetypal elements would be the overall form:

1) black-and-silver rectangular body with cylindrical lens and central pentaprism hump
2) right-side shutter-button and winder-lever with a left-side spinning rewind crank
3) backside has a top-center eyepiece and a wide film-loading door with a right-side hinge

Photographers would add an ASA film speed dial somewhere in the mix.

P.S. I'd add the Olympus OM-1 to the list of cameras fitting the definition.

12-11-2017, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KX would be my choice as well for a 35mm SLR.

However there are many 35mm cameras from that period that look fairly similar from a distance, like on a TV screen or movie.

One Pentax camera that there is no mistake what it is is the 6x7, no missing it in a movie/TV show or in the field. Add the wooden grip and there is nothing else like it!

Phil.
12-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
As you mention popular culture, where would your camera be without a self-timer to take selfies and complete family groups?
Self-timers were used decades before this became a buit-in feature of camera bodies.
I remember when I got my "Agfa Clack" (Agfa Clack | Camerapedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia) in 1958, I opted for a birthday present of a mechanical "cable release" and an universal seperate self-timer. These were quite popular (a box half the size of a cigarette package with a buit-in clockwork, which was connected to the release cable).
12-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Popular mid-1960's to mid 1970's mostly metal cameras in chrome are what come to mind when I think SLR.
Pentax Spotmatic, Nikkormat Ft, Minolta SRT, Canon FT series models etc all fit the bill.

Chris

12-15-2017, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

I think there may be some confusion regarding the term "archetype". Literally, it is "the original pattern from which copies are made" (thank you Wikipedia). I am familiar with its use in writing as plot device. In simplest terms, an archetype (usually a character and/or motif in the story) is readily recognizable by the reader and fairly predictable in the story context with deep cultural roots. Archetypes can also be objects and when invoked should result in a consistent mental image for the reader/viewer.

In "Stranger Things" (recent Netflix production) or the Hitchcock classic "Rear Window", even short glimpses of a major character's camera provide clues regarding the character, their approach to photography, and expectations of what might be done with the camera. Both the camera and the character provide universal clues to the viewer.

Steve
By the Wikipedia definition then, I submit the Asahi Pentax AP is the archetype SLR Camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-16-2017 at 09:46 AM.
12-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I submit the Asahi Pentax AP is the archetype SLR Camera
The only thing missing that the general public might recognise is the self-timer lever.

Gawd, that KP is compact. I think I might have to try to handle one when I'm next abroad. It's definitely taller than the AP, but it looks significantly narrower (and the pre-Spotmatics are not large cameras).
12-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The only thing missing that the general public might recognise is the self-timer lever.

Gawd, that KP is compact. I think I might have to try to handle one when I'm next abroad. It's definitely taller than the AP, but it looks significantly narrower (and the pre-Spotmatics are not large cameras).
The KP is noticeably thicker than the AP, and deceptively heavy. Not ESll / K2DMD heavy, but not svelte either. But I mostly like using it as my casual camera. K-1 is for the important stuff, but KP with DA40 mounted and DA21 in my pocket is pretty fun.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-20-2017 at 02:07 PM.
12-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well it would be thicker, or else they would have made a digital version of the MX long ago. Is there anyone out there with both a KP and an *istDS or DL? I feel they might just be in the same general league.
02-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Following up on an earlier post...
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both a chrome and black SV are present in various photographs for both Ringo and George. There is thought that one of the cameras may have been an S1a.
I just happened across this listing of an S1a that belonged to George Harrison, that Bonhams auctioned off in 2012. The listing references this photo of George holding the same or similar camera while on a plane with Ringo.

Last edited by fotomarc; 02-26-2018 at 07:49 PM.