Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you think photography is expensive, try owning a Boat.

01-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #17

I just want the 24-70mm lol
01-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
LOL! Two happiest days in a boat owner's life, the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Otherwise it is a hole in the water to throw money in.
01-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I resolve to sell more gear than I buy.

01-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I resolve to sell more gear than I buy.
I second that motion. The forums and Ebay make it difficult to hold to that resolution though.
01-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You should in participation in the Daily in or Single In challenges, you can easily go through your collection by shooting daily.
01-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
O.K., this subject has been kicked around more than my ex-wife's reputation...... but..... if.... IF I had to pare my current lens holdings down to ONLY five lenses, they would be:

1. Tamron SPAF Di 10-24mm
2. Pentax-DA 50mm f:1.8
3. Pentax-FA 100mm f:2.8 Macro
4. Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR
5. Sigma APO DG 70-300mm Macro (1:2)

With this line-up, I think I've got just about all the situations I'm ever likely to encounter covered pretty good.

Dang! That was a lot harder than I ever imagined! How could I possibly kick my best friend, the Tamron 28-200mm lens to the curb? We share some great adventures. And that wonderfully sharp Pentax-M 100mm f:2.8 prime.... to see it fading into the distance? Oh! The humanity of it all! And that superb Pentax-DA 18-250mm.... I couldn't possibly.... but, I must.... I must!

...... and my faithful old, looked-upon-with-a-jaundiced-eye-by-some, Sigma 28-80mm Macro (1:2) How could I possibly walk away from that great old trooper? It's been as faithful as any lens I've ever owned! One of those that imbues such confidence! We go back a long way, me and that old lens.

And, my collection of hand-selected Vivitar (Kobori, Kiron & Komine) lenses? Such sharpness, such quality of build. Oh my goodness! Say it ain't so!

.......and my collection of F- lenses? Oh, that one hurt! That little gem of a lens, the 35-70mm "stack of primes," gone? Ugh! I'm gonna' miss that slam-bang auto-focus!

How can I possibly wave adios to my first "real" macro lens.... the incomparable FA-50mm f:2.8 macro. Say it ain't so! But.... I've still got the FA-100mm Macro to lean on, so........

I think I'm gonna' sleep on this for a while before I start running ads!

---------- Post added 01-02-18 at 09:16 PM ----------

Been there, done that and I've got to agree! Especially if you're into bass-fishing! Same goes with the shooting sports! How long since you've priced a MOA bench-rest rifle? Heck, there was a time when my gun safes held over 100 firearms!

Of all the hobbies, photography might be one of the least expensive as long as you're not buying "strictly professional" equipment. And ESPECIALLY if you limit yourself to ONLY five lenses!

01-02-2018, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use the 10-24 for some astro or wide angle night landscapes. Get a kayak and use the 18-250 for all around shots from landscape to wildlife while out on the water.
01-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Use the 10-24 for some astro or wide angle night landscapes. Get a kayak and use the 18-250 for all around shots from landscape to wildlife while out on the water.

Believe me, that scenario has crossed my mind! It sure would simplify things, wouldn't it?
01-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are my photography resolutions this year:
  1. Take more time for each photo (and turn off continuous shooting when not shooting birds)
  2. Actually take some panoramas with the gear I bought to shoot panoramas.
  3. Finally build the stepping motor focus rail that I planned to build when I bought the parts to build a stepping motor focus rail.
  4. Figure out how to get money for two lenses out of AggieMom
Yeah, I have to agree. Last year our health issues (and weather issues) resulted in our boat being in the water a grand total of 6 days! But that bill for storage kept coming every month – and it's pretty pricey because it includes valet service to and from the lake.

Last edited by AggieDad; 01-03-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: correct my grammar
01-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #26
Forum Member

As I'm just getting back in to photography after a long absence I'm keeping my resolutions fairly basic.
1. Allow for a lot of mistakes.
2. Aim for one print-worthy photograph per week.
3. Focus on a point of view. While I adore landscape photography, and would give many things to excel at it, I am not a landscape photographer. My strength lies in seeing/capturing the abstract of a given scene. Perhaps once I have explored that more fully I can move on to the bigger picture, so to speak.
4. Don't fall down the rabbit hole of 'needing' more equipment than I already own. Camera, filters, shutter release cable, tripod; I'm good to go.*

*That being said, my computer is in need of an upgrade to handle an expanded PP program.
01-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
1. I WILL shoot most of my photos below ISO 800! I've gotten used to shooting at 800 and seem to be stuck there for no practical reason. At least 95% of my shots do NOT need the increased sensitivity. The overall IQ of most of my captures suffers from my continued use of ISO 800, so....
that's first on my list.
How about considering swapping out a couple of the DSLR bodies for a K-70? For P. Av, Tv or TAv Modes it could be set to Auto ISO (e.g. 100 to 3200) - the K-70 will keep the ISO as low as it can, and still give decent images through that sort of range. (See the K-70 review: Pentax K-70 Review - Image Quality Verdict | PentaxForums.com Reviews)
01-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
How about considering swapping out a couple of the DSLR bodies for a K-70? For P. Av, Tv or TAv Modes it could be set to Auto ISO (e.g. 100 to 3200) - the K-70 will keep the ISO as low as it can, and still give decent images through that sort of range. (See the K-70 review: Pentax K-70 Review - Image Quality Verdict | PentaxForums.com Reviews)

I think my K-50 & K-30 will cover that, plus I'm not the kind to "let the camera make decisions for me."
01-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #29
Pentaxian

My Resolutions are make a Lens Closet and possibly share more of lenses with Youtube.
01-04-2018, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I think my K-50 & K-30 will cover that, plus I'm not the kind to "let the camera make decisions for me."
My previous post was suggesting ways that you could work with the available technology, at little or no extra cost, to improve image quality: 1. There is no doubt that the K-70 is a good step forward in that regard. 2. With the camera set on Auto ISO, in good lighting it is highly likely that it would have selected an ISO value well below the 800 that you had set manually.

In the semi-auto modes, there is never an obligation to "let the camera make decisions" although, if we set up the user modes to suit our own photography, it can often get it right. One of the great features of the ergonomics of our Pentax DSLRs is that any setting suggested by the camera, that we don't wish to accept, can easily be over-ridden without taking our eye from the viewfinder.