Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New Year's Photographic Resolutions

I normally don't make any New Year's Resolutions, but this year, I've decided to make a couple pertaining to photography that are long over-due!

1. I WILL shoot most of my photos below ISO 800! I've gotten used to shooting at 800 and seem to be stuck there for no practical reason. At least 95% of my shots do NOT need the increased sensitivity. The overall IQ of most of my captures suffers from my continued use of ISO 800, so....
that's first on my list.

2. Use what I've got. I've accumulated several very nice (in my world) lenses that I have yet to use to any real degree, other than the obligatory attachment to the camera and shoot a few "test shots." They need to be used..... or at least I tell myself I MUST justify their existence. Case in point: A very nice Tamron 10-24mm lens that needs it's time in the saddle. Also, a splendid Pentax-K 400mm f:5.6 that's begging to be used for the spring elk activity. Or.... maybe the DA 18-250mm that's not been rightfully evaluated?

I suppose this is all, in some sort of subconscious manner, readying myself for the inevitable reduction of cameras and lenses that comes with advanced age. Over the years, I've managed to fill my Pelican 1550 with lenses that cover the focal length range from 10mm to 400mm pretty well. Not all are * lenses or "Limited" jewels, but for me, they have/will serve their purposes quite well. I keep asking myself, "O.K...... IF you could keep JUST 5 lenses, what would they be?" Such torture!

Last edited by Dewman; 01-02-2018 at 05:02 PM.
01-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only 5 lenses?
Yeah.
Not going to happen!
01-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Only 5 lenses?
Yeah.
Not going to happen!

Tony, you're no help at all!
01-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Tony, you're no help at all!
I apologize, but I gave up trying to beat the LBA beast a long time ago. I need to take a few lenses myself and find them a good home, but that will leave an empty space that needs to be filled. I tried saying I’ll just save to buy Limited and or * lenses, next thing you know, I’ve got two * and 4 Limiteds.

But that Tamron you have sounds like it needs some attention!

01-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

5 that's all. I have 50 and need them all!
01-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dewman;

I did the same thing as a photography resolution.
You can look in my signature line of all the lenses that I have.

Main set of bodies are the K5II and K5IIs (will keep).
DA* 16-50 / 50-135 / 300 (will keep)
DA 1.4x teleconverter (will keep)
Thinking of getting the DA* 60-250.
This will give me four DA* lenses and a 1.4x TC.

The other DA lenses are up for sale to thin the herd.
The K7 is up for sale but think will keep it for the odd macro work and all manual lenses.

Also have the Super Program to use with the "A" lenses.

So it continues, only getting rid of maybe two or four lenses and maybe one body.

We will see how the year goes.

I am trying really hard to thin the herd

Good luck Dewman.

Clarence
01-02-2018, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My New Year's Resolution is 24MP, courtesy of a K-3 II.

01-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My New Year's Resolution is 24MP, courtesy of a K-3 II.

I considered that..... but, it's going totally against my plan to "thin the herd"! I've got 2 K-50's, 2 K-30's, one Kx & one Km. So far, I've done O.K. with 16.4 MP, so.... as much as I'd like a K-1, I don't see it in my future.
01-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My new years resolution will be about 100Mp* - I recently placed an order for a Phase one IQ3 100MP Achromatic.

*11608 x 8708 to be exact.
01-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I considered that..... but, it's going totally against my plan to "thin the herd"! I've got 2 K-50's, 2 K-30's, one Kx & one Km. So far, I've done O.K. with 16.4 MP, so.... as much as I'd like a K-1, I don't see it in my future.
See, I'm "good" - I have only the K-3 II (which replaced a K-5 II) and K-01. 10 lenses, a handful of TC's. I might divest myself of a TC or two.

My New Year's Resolution should be to find new shooting locations. I'm getting stale.
01-02-2018, 07:52 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My New Year's Resolution should be to find new shooting locations. I'm getting stale.
Perhaps you should try the same locations, but try to see them differently. When we see the same thing everyday it be comes easy to trivialize it, but there is photographic interest in everything if we see it in a different way.

I recall a famous photographer(whose name escapes me at the moment) who took his students out on a trip to an exotic location...but he wouldn't let them go outside the parking lot without finding something of photographic interest.
01-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Perhaps you should try the same locations, but try to see them differently. When we see the same thing everyday it be comes easy to trivialize it, but there is photographic interest in everything if we see it in a different way.

I recall a famous photographer(whose name escapes me at the moment) who took his students out on a trip to an exotic location...but he wouldn't let them go outside the parking lot without finding something of photographic interest.
Shoot mindfully then? Sounds good to me, but I need to thin the herd also. I have 20 lenses and have had a DSLR for less than 8 months in total. That my friends is LBA! Are we ever going to start our 12 step program for it?
01-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I have 20 lenses and have had a DSLR for less than 8 months in total. That my friends is LBA!
20 lenses and a DSLR? and you call that LBA?
01-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

LBA

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
20 lenses and a DSLR? and you call that LBA?
8 Months, total, on retirement income that is not large. I had no camera other than my phone prior to June of 2017. Since some of the lenses are Limiteds and other more expensive (to me at least,) ones, I consider it LBA of the worst sort. That total is after I have sold a few also. How can I afford to travel around for photo opportunities when I have no cash due to purchasing lenses? You need to come to Maine and freeze while teaching me how to make some money with a camera! Yeah, that's the ticket!
01-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Buying lenses while hoping it will enhance your income is a lot like buying reloading gear, thinking it will lower your cost of ammo! Right..... THAT'S the ticket!