Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Another trick with panos is to take a duplicate first and last frame of each set with a finger in the shot so you can work out where each series starts and ends (hope that makes sense!).
I use a similar marking device, generally a blank frame at start and end (hand or cap over lens). Helps me both locate and remember that I took them at all, sometimes difficult when you bring home 4,000 or more image files.

01-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mach Quote
Thanks! I'm using the K1 with the 24-70mm 2.4f

I'd be interested in doing panaramic photo. I've never done that. I tried, guessing I should buy an L-bracket. I have a manfroto tripod.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 06:00 AM ----------

I'm not sure.

I booked a flight to Honolulu. Jan. 25th through February 3rd. I'm trying like heck to hike the Kalalua trail but only got a permit for 1 night. Honestly 10 days isn't enough. I'd like to do the big island for some volcano shots.

In short I'm in the early stages of planning.
Did all my photos hand held, including a couple of panos. 94% of my images were captured using my 17-50mm Sigma on my K-3.

When you are on Oahu be sure to visit the North Shore area, as you may be able to get some good big wave surfing photos, if that interests you. 300mm or more would be best from the beach. And it is much less commercial than around Honolulu. We enjoyed the hike up and view from Diamond Head.

If you get to the Big Island, check on line to see if there are active eruptions of Kilauea. Otherwise you will see mostly smoke and steam. Night time viewing should show the lava cauldron fairly well unless fog or rain move in as it did for us. However, the lava fields landscape is amazing all by itself. Just be careful if you wander without a guide. Another great excursion is up Mona Kea, especially for the sunset and to see the astronomical observatories. It will be cold and windy at the summit.

I'm sure you will have a great trip - I know we can't wait to go back.
01-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
(The state thought Kaua'i needed a road around the island so set about building one. They changed their mind after all the construction equipment sank in the Alakai Swamp.)
That must've been a long time ago and I'm glad they failed. The Alakai on Mt. Waialeale is considered one of the wettest spots on Earth and every time I've gone, it's in a rain cloud. More rare and endangered plants and animals than just about any other place....very primordial. They've improved the trails to include a narrow board walk, but I've never left the swamp without being soaked, muddy, exhausted, and smiling with fulfillment.

Maui is the only island you can actually drive around (if you ignore the rental car agency's policy that forbids it). Many roads, trails, beaches, etc, in Hawaii are not as safety protected as you would see in most other first world countries. Every day there are tragedies of tourist (and sometimes locals) drowning, falling off of cliffs or into lava fields, etc. It's not Disneyland but as long as you follow precautions and know that lava rock is not strong, the ocean must be respected (currents, waves, sharks), and you know your own limits and experience, you'll have a great time.

BTW: Cell reception is often non-existent in the most beautiful places. AT&T has the best coverage in Hawaii.
01-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Remembering back from my trip in 2004 I wished I had a fast fifty when I visited Volcanos National Park on the big island. I was there after dusk and that was the only time we could see the lava flows on the mountain.

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-03-2018 at 06:46 PM.
01-04-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #20
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Maui is the only island you can actually drive around (if you ignore the rental car agency's policy that forbids it). Many roads, trails, beaches, etc, in Hawaii are not as safety protected as you would see in most other first world countries. Every day there are tragedies of tourist (and sometimes locals) drowning, falling off of cliffs or into lava fields, etc.
Hmm, back in '72, Bill, Dago, and I circumnavigated Oahu in Bill's Datsun. The southern side of Kaena Point was, of course, the fun part for us intrepid, 20ish doodleheads from Schofield Barracks (Army). Bill stayed in the car to drive, Dago was outside on the up-cliff side telling Bill how far up the cliff he could put the left tire, while I was outside on the down-cliff side telling Bill how far towards the 20 ft drop-off he could put the right tire. I wasn't mentioning all the pebbles, pushed by that tire, that were rolling off that drop-off to the rocky shore below. (Notice that I wasn't IN the car for this crazy endeavor.) Somehow, even Bill survived, and the circumnavigation was completed.

It was obvious that anybody would be an IDIOT to do this. So we didn't do it again.
In Hawai'i, you can easily take your life in your own hands. Pay Attention! Don't be a doodlehead.
01-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Hmm, back in '72, Bill, Dago, and I circumnavigated Oahu in Bill's Datsun. The southern side of Kaena Point was, of course, the fun part for us intrepid, 20ish doodleheads from Schofield Barracks (Army).
It was obvious that anybody would be an IDIOT to do this. So we didn't do it again.
In Hawai'i, you can easily take your life in your own hands. Pay Attention! Don't be a doodlehead.
I know up until 1947, there was a narrow gauge train that went around Kaena Point, and there was a gnarly jeep trail when my Dad was stationed at Lualualei Naval Ammunition Depot in the mid-60's during the Vietnam War. (We used to drive over the Kolekole Pass to go to shopping at the exchange in Schofield.)

However today, it would be impossible to drive around Kaena Point on the far northwestern point of Oahu. Even a mountain bike is probably forbidden because of an important albatross reserve/sanctuary at the 'lighthouse'. It's fenced in to keep out feral animals from harming the ground nests. The public is welcome to enter and you can still hike through to the North Shore.

Funny you mention a Datsun in '72. In '74 I drove my sister's chocolate brown Datsun B210 (95 horsepower), front wheel drive through jeep trails in Joshua Tree National Park. Great little car.
01-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm 38 so I hope to get back. Hawaii has been on my bucket-list. I got an alert for a round trip from ATL for $380 so I just booked it. I finally got the OK to take off work today.
I'm an outdoors guy, city life doesn't excite me. I wish there was more backpacking places. I got a permit for 1 night Napali Coast.
The plan right now is to do Oahu and the Island of Hawaii (the big island). If I can get that dang permit for another night on the Napali Coast I'd bounce to Kauai.

Those handheld panoramic shots are amazing. I need to practice that.