Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strap Me Better...

Help me work out a better strapping method than illustrated, being mindful of the following;

1) the strap is short because I am a prime shooter, I lens swap frequently, I like the camera to sit upper stomach/lower torso level, above the lens pouches that hang at the waist and allow for quick grabbing and swapping.
2) The straps are anchored on the left ring because even one on the right ring and the strap is in the way when I rotate the camera to shooting with the LV and portrait mode.

My issue is the straps are still in the way when I LV in landscape mode, thankfully I don't do this too often, opting instead for OVF use (sometimes it's unavoidable)...

How do you guys (and gals) strap hehehe?

Bruce

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Bruce, I have been toying with the idea of using a BlackRapid strap that uses the tripod socket for attachment. The benefit of this type of strap for me would be when using my DA* 60-250, I could attach the strap to the tripod foot to allow for less strain on the camera mount should I need to let the camera go and just " hang " around my neck for a short time. Good luck with whatever you choose mate.
01-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Bruce, I have been toying with the idea of using a BlackRapid strap that uses the tripod socket for attachment. The benefit of this type of strap for me would be when using my DA* 60-250, I could attach the strap to the tripod foot to allow for less strain on the camera mount should I need to let the camera go and just " hang " around my neck for a short time. Good luck with whatever you choose mate.
Nice. I have a generic Arcaswiss type plate at the bottom of mine, I prefer to leave it on indefinitely. I thought about trying to anchor my straps onto it but I'm not sure I can without it interfering with the actual mounting of the camera on the tripod. I do have a spare generic L Plate that I think has rings, I'm just not sure even anchoring them there would solve my issue, also that and the fact I was trying to do away with the added bulk of the L Plate on the K-1.

I'm now wondering if hand/wrist straps are the way to go, and whether a good one still allows for smallish prime lens swapping...
01-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Domke Gripper

Steve

01-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm now wondering if hand/wrist straps are the way to go, and whether a good one still allows for smallish prime lens swapping...
I'm sure when the folks " on the other side of the world " wake up, you will get lots of good information mate.
01-04-2018, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I'm sure when the folks " on the other side of the world " wake up, you will get lots of good information mate.
Ha! Any advice they offer won't work as all their solutions will be inverted/upside down
01-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I really like the Joby ultrafit sling strap. I have two of them now and after practicing for about thirty minutes and making small adjustments I got it just how I like it. I sometimes like to carry a smaller lens like a 70-200 2.8 when I'm out with my long lens incase I stumble accross wildlife thats just to close and really like how this strap can keep it close to my body and easy to move into shooting position.

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap For Men (Charcoal, M to XL) JB01257

01-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not a fan of hand straps, I don't find they work real well, and they give me rsi if they aren't loose enough to be basically useless.

I generally use the strap from both sides, left & right.

I carry the camera with the strap over my right shoulder (I'm right handed), and with the lens hump into my body and the lens in the small of my back, seems to balance alright there and I can grab it pretty easily.

If I need to brace the camera with one hand with the strap out of the way - how I do it (and yes, I had to get my camera out to check, this takes me about a second in regular usage - took me several minutes to work out how to describe it and I'm not sure I'll do a great job of that)

I tend to hold the camera with my left hand, then raise my right wrist in the middle of the strap (not grabbing the strap), then make a figure 8 with my hand starting up and anticlockwise, ending with my wrist raising up after clockwise.

Then the strap is wrapped around my wrist twice and it's out of the way, kinda braces from the bottom corners of the camera, so the straps a wee bit in front of the camera (catching one the front bottom corners) and the whole deal sorta braces itself - it must be a common technique, but I've never seen anybody else describe or do it - I learned that as a result of using a zenit for a year when I first started photography (1+kg camera needs some bracing if you want to be carrying it all day).

I'm not sure that made any sense
01-05-2018, 01:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I really like the Joby ultrafit sling strap. I have two of them now and after practicing for about thirty minutes and making small adjustments I got it just how I like it. I sometimes like to carry a smaller lens like a 70-200 2.8 when I'm out with my long lens incase I stumble accross wildlife thats just to close and really like how this strap can keep it close to my body and easy to move into shooting position.

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap For Men (Charcoal, M to XL) JB01257
I've seen that sorta thing before but (correct me if I'm wrong), you can't use a Arcaswiss or other connecting base plate with it?

Anyhow, I think I have DIY'd a sorta solution that first impression seems to be working for me (hard to really tell till you have an actual field test).

What I did was take an old generic $15 L Plate I had lying around that wasn't being used, and I used the Allen key to take off the side of the L Plate leaving just the bottom plate. Then I took a hacksaw and sawed off a sizeable part of the base plate of the L plate, too shorten it. I then filed it down around the edges to minimise hard sharp edges then gave it two coats of permanent black marker over the silver cut edges

When I attach and rotate the base plate as to how the pictures below show I can get my neck straps to anchor down here instead of up at the D Rings. Giving it a whirl and holding the camera out in front of me in either portrait or landscape in LV mode and the straps do indeed no longer obscure my vision towards the screen, success! An Added bonus I can still quickly slip the camera onto the tripod, it's a bit weird doing it from the side, I really need a lever and not a twisty knob, something to invest in the future.

My only gripe is lens swapping is a bit weird now as I am used to the camera nestling on my stomach with the lens mount pointing straight out ahead (like the same direction as how you would shoot a pic, which is actually a bad habit to get into as stuff can blow right inside the camera!), currently now the opening is towards the floor, prolly better but I'm just not used to swapping at that orientation so I'm a bit slow.

Anyway, problem fixed I think. I really need a neck strap as I shoot with two cameras, I like to reach for the other one quickly thus allowing the other camera to hang around the neck in the meantime, a wrist/hand strap solution to this issue wouldn't really help me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-05-2018, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm traditional, have one end of the strap on each side of the camera, it sits straight for me, rather than have both strap ends to the one side as pictured, that would be too uncomfortable for me. Use around the neck. Sling camera over one shoulder when not in use or walking around.
Lucky Camera Straps | Leather Camera Straps, Australia Made. The best gift for Photographers
Plain straps or Lucky straps are good, the shorter length is good for over the shoulder or around the neck, don't get grip type if you move strap around a lot, it's too grippy. Some of those double slings and other holster things, end up lookin' like errrr......&%$*ers
Check this bloke out
Attached Images

01-05-2018, 03:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I'm traditional, have one end of the strap on each side of the camera, it sits straight for me, rather than have both strap ends to the one side as pictured, that would be too uncomfortable for me. Use around the neck. Sling camera over one shoulder when not in use or walking around.
Lucky Camera Straps | Leather Camera Straps, Australia Made. The best gift for Photographers
Plain straps or Lucky straps are good, the shorter length is good for over the shoulder or around the neck, don't get grip type if you move strap around a lot, it's too grippy. Some of those double slings and other holster things, end up lookin' like errrr......&%$*ers
Check this bloke out
Haha

Um yeh well I think the whole issue centers around how you shoot and the event. At home I wouldn't care for a strap of any kind, and certain dates where one camera is needed and one lens is fine the strap isn't as much an issue. I do find it odd however that the D ring placements for all dslr means that using the LV mode in some manner means the straps can get in the way, the only way that I have found around this is to have them anchored at the bottom of the camera...
01-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there are several threads about this issue of slings, straps and hand grips

personally I use a set up partially similar to the OP except the attachment of the strap ends in a quick release latch so I can easily detach the strap when necessary -

Utility Strap™ - Sling and Utility Strap™ - Sling XL Quick Adjust

https://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.html

the utility strap quickly allows me to raise the level at which I carry the lens, although I usually carry it at hip level

I also attach, at the same attachment point, a hand strap with an ultra plate attaching to the camera base - Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate

https://joby.com/ultrafit-hand-strap-with-ultraplate

so I can use the hand grip to control the swing of the camera and lens should I choose or I could just release the strap and use the hand grip alone

my K 3 + battery grip and DA 16-85mm is shown in photo 1

my K 3 + battery grip and D FA 150-450mm is shown in photo 2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-05-2018 at 04:38 AM.
01-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow, you guys are creative! I just used the supplied original strap until it started falling apart/flaking. Then I got two cheap ones online and they are doing well so far (two years). They look fine, too. I shoot only primes and the strap is either around my neck (when i am changing lenses) or just simply around my wrist. I don't have much heavy gear and don't go to places where the camera could get ripped out of my hands (by nature or people).
01-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

looking at your original example I would find the clutter of plasticware problematic

since the connectors are probably standard you could replace everything below the strap proper with a length of webbing and two male ends
length would still be adjustable but "softer" giving you more flexibility while directing the strap out of the way when using live view

that mod would also work when attaching to your plate in the second example

I prefer a two-point attachment and use a product called the strap buddy
however that precludes the use of a tripod

I think when using a longer lens you will find the twisting caused by a single point of attachment unpleasant
if you attach one end to the body and one to the plate I believe your camera/lens will hang more comfortably

as to hand straps...I like and use them on all my larger point and shoots and occasionally on my k01
I find they work for me

I usually make my own but if I was spending your money i'd buy a gordy's
if you just want to see how one works get a length of paracord, knot it into a loop and attach to your camera body
01-05-2018, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #15

Peak Design Slide. There is a great review here on the forum. Connects with Arca plate at bottom so can still be used with tripod without having to remove bottom connection. I used to use a black rapids sling but when connected was unable to mount on tripod which became a deal breaker.