Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I use 1/2 inch polyester strap, which I can thread through the guide pieces that are used on the Pentax strap. I heat the ends of the strap after I cut it to keep it from fraying. I use approximately 80 inches for each strap. I have bought it at Strapworks.com.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-05-2018 at 04:14 PM.
01-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Peak Design Slide. There is a great review here on the forum. Connects with Arca plate at bottom so can still be used with tripod without having to remove bottom connection. I used to use a black rapids sling but when connected was unable to mount on tripod which became a deal breaker.
Yeah, compatibility with a tripod does limit the options, but I don't a tripod or monopod all that often. In fact rarely, and then typically a monopod. So I generally use one of two options I have: Either a Spider Pro belt (and still attaching a Black Rapid wrist strap) which has worked out well on recent day-hikes, or a cheap cross-chest sling I bought on Amazon, I think maybe a FastFire but I'd have to confirm. I've been know to use both at once with two cameras for a couple of photo ops so I could avoid field lens changes. They work surprisingly well together, staying out of the way of each other.

EDIT: Nope not a FastFire. Mine screws into the tripod mount.
01-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice. I have a generic Arcaswiss type plate at the bottom of mine, I prefer to leave it on indefinitely. I thought about trying to anchor my straps onto it but I'm not sure I can without it interfering with the actual mounting of the camera on the tripod. I do have a spare generic L Plate that I think has rings, I'm just not sure even anchoring them there would solve my issue, also that and the fact I was trying to do away with the added bulk of the L Plate on the K-1.

I'm now wondering if hand/wrist straps are the way to go, and whether a good one still allows for smallish prime lens swapping...
The BosStrap is a sling strap like the Black Rapid, but attaches to the lug, not the tripod socket. http://bosstrap.com
01-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
The BosStrap is a sling strap like the Black Rapid, but attaches to the lug, not the tripod socket. http://bosstrap.com
That looks pretty convenient. Thanks

01-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
I also recommend a Peak Designs Slide strap. Since it has 2 attachment points I find it swings much less than other similar straps.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
01-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Peak Design Slide. There is a great review here on the forum. Connects with Arca plate at bottom so can still be used with tripod without having to remove bottom connection. I used to use a black rapids sling but when connected was unable to mount on tripod which became a deal breaker.
My son gave me this Peak Design Slide strap for Christmas for my K-1 to use with D FA 24~70 and FA*300.

PROS
  • Easily detachable from traditional lug mount
    For portrait LiveView just detach ONE button, then easily re-attach
  • Easily detachable from tripod socket mount
  • Easily lengthened/shortened on-the-fly to suit neck (any length), shoulder or cross-body strapping
  • Heavy, wide webbing, grippy shoulder pad (Other side of pad slides easily for cross-body and neck). All day comfort with heavy gear
  • Very well made, HD components
  • Replaceable attachment buttons with wear indicators for safety
  • Extra / spare parts included in basic package
CONS
  • Large metal adjustment buckles potentially could scratch LCD
  • Initially, stiff shoulder pad difficult to fit in camera bag
  • Too large for small camera like KP (Slide Lite for MILC would work better).

As you can see, cons are immaterial except the metal buckles scratching the LCD. I recommend you try the Peak Design Slide. Everything they make is first rate.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2018 at 08:04 PM.
01-05-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

One of the Black Rapid range
BlackRapid | Sport Breathe
with safety tether
BlackRapid | Camera Safety TetheR
or my first preference
Carry Speed range
Carry Speed Fs-2 Sling Strap With F-1 Foldable Plate for DSLR Canon Nikon - Camo | eBay
plus safety tether
Joby Camera Tether | eBay

Reason for the safety tether both Black Rapid and their arch rival Carry Speed suffer from potential single point of failure where the joint is made to camera. It should be normally perfectly OK but the safety tether attaches to one of the camera lugs so if the bottom connection fails the camera should not hit the floor as it wil suspend by the camera lug. Leaving only the strap now as the main failure point.

I do not recall any issues with attaching to Arca Swiss style tripof fittings, but will double check if you want me to.

I have walked around quite happily using the BR with the 645Z (to use my CarrySpeed needs some alteration to the strap but it was good with my Nikon D800) for hours. Similarly with the Carry Speed and the lighter Nikon D800. My feeling being that the Carry Speed just pipped BR for comfort

As you have noted that buying from the UK will result in your camera hanging the wrong way i.e. it will tend to float up and above your head if you do not watch out

01-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Having used a lot of strap systems over the years, the best system I've seen, by far, is the Peak Design. Their strap is excellent, they also offer the Capture Clip which is wonderful (and has made me realize how little I want to use a strap, in fact...)

Here:

Peak Design Slide Strap and Capture Clip System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for chiming in, definitely some things to consider further down the line. I managed to solve my issue by re-purposing a lonely cheap L Plate rusting away in my drawer, so my solution cost me very little and at this time I am trying to save funds not spend more. But as I said earlier I haven't really field tested my 'solution' so we'll see further down the line.

I think where people may be stunned is how short I have my neck strap, and that means that when holding the camera and using LV mode in either portrait or landscape (when using the provided D Rings) just means the straps are completely in the way, I can imagine if someone is using a longer neck strap then the points I'm whittling on about are probably null. But my lenses are at my waist level, and I need comfortable room to get them out and make the swap so I shortened the neck strap (so much that the excess strap has to be tugged into buckles on the way back up the strap).
01-05-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I use 1/2 inch nylon strap, which I can thread through the guide pieces that are used on the Pentax strap. I heat the ends of the strap after I cut it to keep it from fraying. I use approximately 80 inches for each strap. I have bought it at Strapworks.com.
I use it as well but only when I can't source polyester strappage

polyester generally won't snag or fray as easily
01-05-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks everyone for chiming in, definitely some things to consider further down the line. I managed to solve my issue by re-purposing a lonely cheap L Plate rusting away in my drawer, so my solution cost me very little and at this time I am trying to save funds not spend more. But as I said earlier I haven't really field tested my 'solution' so we'll see further down the line.

I think where people may be stunned is how short I have my neck strap, and that means that when holding the camera and using LV mode in either portrait or landscape (when using the provided D Rings) just means the straps are completely in the way, I can imagine if someone is using a longer neck strap then the points I'm whittling on about are probably null. But my lenses are at my waist level, and I need comfortable room to get them out and make the swap so I shortened the neck strap (so much that the excess strap has to be tugged into buckles on the way back up the strap).
Seems like the Peak Design Slide would work perfectly. When I shorten up my strap the camera sits at the bottom of my sternum. The camera sits at an angle that seems to be perfect for changing lenses. When I bring the camera up to shoot in LV the LCD is 3 inches from my nose and the strap is not in the way in portrait or landscape mode.
01-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I use it as well but only when I can't source polyester strappage

polyester generally won't snag or fray as easily
I actually also use polyester strap, not nylon. Thanks for pointing that out.
01-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Domke Gripper

Steve
Better yet, Two Domke Grippers with swivels. One the 1 inch size the other the 1.5 inch size. With the swivels they swap instantly, I use the 1 inch for when I carry small kit with DA 21, 40 & 70 limiteds but switch to the 1.5 inch size when I am using larger lenses such as DA 16-85 and DA* 200. Both cost about $40 USD for the pair.
01-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

this is another thing I do for heavy rigs

it is fairly expensive 1/2 inch rope and 1/4 inch poly webbing
I make them long to go around my corpulent torso
then just tie a knot to shorten it when the need arises
very strong and quite comfy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-ZS50  Photo 
01-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I've used one of these slings for the longest time and I love it. The camera hangs by my waist and I can pull it up easily to frame a shot. I can also sling the camera behind me when I'm carrying kids so they can't reach it. I prefer this over the Black Rapid versions because of the plate that mounts to it having an offset hole to hook onto. I've found that by placing the hook on the mount plate forward (towards the lens) I get better balance and the camera hangs upside down without causing lens creep.

The only thing you need to watch for is over time the swivel can wear and fall out, but that's after a long amount of use, and the listing I linked includes a free tether that will 'catch' your camera if the swivel wears loose. I didn't like the tether getting in my way, so I use a carabiner to secure both halves of the swivel. It limits rotation to 180°, but if the swivel wears through it will catch it right away. I was worried about the tripod screw being a weak point, but after years of use I've never had it loosen during use, and if it did I would notice it swiveling before it unscrewed enough to drop the camera.