Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2018, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AI camera gadget... Sigh

Meet Arsenal, the Smart Camera Assistant

First, I am appalled to see this in general. Second I'm annoyed Pentax isn't supported.

Sigh.

01-07-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
First, I am appalled to see this in general. Second I'm annoyed Pentax isn't supported.

Sigh.
I understand the way you feel... The way I see it, this takes all the fun and skill out of photography. Any self-respecting photographer won't use this, except - perhaps - as a learning tool. I can see how it might be beneficial to compare the settings it chooses to those the photographer might use, then figure out why it chose those settings.

We already have full auto mode for those that need it, and that does a pretty good job in many circumstances. This product is, IMHO, A.I. full auto plus plus. It will find a user base, I'm sure, but it won't be enthusiasts like us...
01-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They do say, however, that they'll be adding Pentax to the list of supported cameras, although they don't say when or which specific cameras will be supported. I'm sure there will be a market for it, but it'll definitely take the fun out of photography!
01-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FAQ says additional, unnamed, models will be supported in the future.

01-07-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #5

I'm not offended. It deals with some of the most basic aspects of photography - you still have to get your ass there, at the right time of day (or night) and make creative decisions about where to shoot from, what to include etc.

2. It's a very good infomercial - better than anything I have seen from Pentax. I wonder how much Pentax could have boosted sales of their cameras or even accessories like the gps-thingy if they bothered to make something like this.
01-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
First, I am appalled to see this in general.
Why? This is super so we can all make exactly the same photo's and creativity can be reduced to sub-zero. Imagine how wonderful things would be if the "eye" of the photographer gets eliminated from the equation altogether and any benefit of knowledge and/or experience gets wiped out totally?

QuoteQuote:
Second I'm annoyed Pentax isn't supported.
Sigh.
I'm actually quite happy and relieved about that.
01-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It looks like a nifty assistant that can free up brain power of people who don't enjoy the more mechanical and technical aspects of photography.

If all I had was basic technical ability that could be replaced by a $150 gadget, I think it would be time to hang up my camera.
01-07-2018, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Perfect for the Tesla auto-drive-for-me demographic. But as other have said here, it certainly takes the photographer out of the equation...or rather, gives the 'user' a false sense of trust the technology, because it is smarter than you want to be.

Interesting it is called ARSenal and not ARTisanal. The kickstarter video is beautifully shot, but at 3:15 we have the are-you-kidding-me backward lens hood. I wonder if it can reverse the hood without the photographer?

01-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
you still have to get your ass there, at the right time of day (or night) and make creative decisions about where to shoot from, what to include etc.
With the right sort of vehicle platform (maybe multiples) and a few more comms and algorithms controlling the whole thing, even that component could be eliminated. The planet may soon be crawling with DSLR-toting camera-bots doing all the inconvenient stuff like international travel (cheaper in cargo, and no jet-lag) booking hotels (a locker and charging station is all you need) and managing crowds (obviously, a self-righting apparatus and a sturdy shell will be needed to deal with humans who resent your getting under-foot). Top it off with a VR-generated gallery of your bot's masterpieces and you won't have to move from your armchair to develop into an artistic genius.
01-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Top it off with a VR-generated gallery of your bot's masterpieces and you won't have to move from your armchair to develop into an artistic genius.
Will the AI post images to social sharing sites? Generate appropriate spam/"network building" to get attention? Register and troll camera fora? Maybe these will be included in a stretch goal for their Kickstarter campaign for the ultra lazy...
01-07-2018, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason why Pentax isnít supported is that Pentaxians already know what they are doing, ergo, no market :0)
I was watching a YouTube video earlier where the presenter was demonstrating how a nice view doesnít guarantee a great picture. Thankfully Photography is an art that requires vision which is unquantifiable. I use to play a musical instrument that was quite technical. Players fell into two camps, those who played with their heads (Arsenal) and those who played with their hearts (Genuine Photographers). The real music will always come from the heart!

Last edited by Cerebum; 01-07-2018 at 03:16 PM.
01-07-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The reason why Pentax isn’t supported is that Pentaxians already know what they are doing, ergo, no market :0)
I was watching a YouTube video earlier where the presenter was demonstrating how a nice view doesn’t guarantee a great picture. Thankfully Photography is an art that requires vision which is unquantifiable. I use to play a musical instrument that was quite technical. Players fell into two camps, those who played with their heads (Arsenal) and those who played with their hearts (Genuine Photographers). The real music will always come from the heart!
That's a very good response.

I have in mind a portraiture situation where the photographer wants a particular level of detail vs background blur, and maybe wants to intentionally under-or-over-expose certain elements of the frame. And maybe the sun is behind the subject, so flash or flashes are required to light the subject. If "Arsenal" can even handle that (and I believe it probably can't - it seems to be geared towards landscapes, or at least naturally-lit situations?), it would have an awfully difficult job guessing the photographer's preferences, not to mention setting the power level and physical distance of the flash units
01-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't feel blue...another Arsenal of cat photos captured with Canon glass will be unleashed upon the internet...will they be better than ever...only time will tell...

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 06-17-2018 at 07:06 AM.