Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2018, 07:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Forecast is clear here which is nice. I got clouded out last time.

01-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #17
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I got clouded out last time.

We will almost certainly be clouded out this time.
01-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
We will almost certainly be clouded out this time.
Of course the timing for me, in Virginia, is right during my morning commute. Bummer
01-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the current hourly forecast for Topeka KS indicate partly cloudy at the time the " action " is due to start,

The moon enters the penumbra at 4:51 a.m. Central Time and starts to turn reddish around 6:15 a.m. Central Time. Between 6:15 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. local time will be the best chance for anyone living in the Midwest to see the spectacle before the sun rise

Sun rise locally at 07:31

currently moon is visible but with a " haze " around it as it is in the eastern sky a bit north of due east

ENE perhaps

just shy of a true full moon tonight

Moon
4:59 PM
6:40 AM

waxing gibbous
97% of the Moon is Illuminated

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-30-2018 at 07:09 PM.
01-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Forecast is clear here which is nice. I got clouded out last time.
Aren't there like 100mph winds up there? It looks like I might get clouds, might not.
01-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I just want to add in this URL.
Eclipses visible in Tokyo, Japan - Jan 31, 2018 Lunar Eclipse

Hope it can be useful for some. Just input your city name and it will show pretty much anything you want to know except the weather. [The time, direction and how high up the moon will be from the ground in each timeframe.]

I have been research this since December last year. Because we have been having 3 super moon back to back since December. This one is the last of the 3 and the most spectacular one. But I don’t think I will take a photo to night. Well, I might try if I can be home by 7pm because the moon will be closer to the ground from where I am. By the time it turns orange it will be way too high up in the sky.
01-31-2018, 04:30 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
very nice thanks

01-31-2018, 05:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I found a good vantage point on my way to work, in St. Mary's City overlooking the St. Mary's River. Had the tripod, the K-3II, and the 55-300. Moon was perfectly placed, setting over a big old house on a bluff on the other side of the river.

But about 15 minutes before the eclipse started it went behind the clouds and never came back out. I got two pictures of a half-obscured moon and that's it.
01-31-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well I decided to play dumb [ per usual ]

this AM got out the gimbal that a fellow member had given to me free and got it mated to the tripod

set it up along with the K 3 + 1.4 rear converter and the D FA 150-450 and experimented with and without the 1.4 converter and various shooting modes

it did not go well, partly cloudy I had thought it was going be on the other side of the house with a clear view down to the horizon, it was in the back

physically saw the moon go gradually dark with a curved shadow but never saw any color change,

moon dropped out of view behind neighbor's roof well before totality

my high up deck did not give me sufficient height

photos did not turn out well, never got any details of the moon, just white disk and then white disk with the curved shadow and shots of branches with moon behind it

tried using live view, both auto focus, auto focus with manual adjustments and even manual focus and my IR remote shutter control

good news, gimbal and tripod works, didn't drop anything while setting up or moving set up while going up and down stairs

all equipment survived

some lessons learned and some relearned

hope others folks have practiced in advance, had better viewing and got great photos

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-31-2018 at 08:14 AM.
01-31-2018, 06:43 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aslyfox, I'm certainly no expert, but I've played around with moon photos a little bit. The moon is a lot brighter than you'd think, so I believe you overexposed a bit. I've had good results with something like ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1/100th. I tried to find an example, but the EXIF seems to have been stripped from the moon shots I have access to right now.
01-31-2018, 06:46 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The combination of timing and being on the East Coast was less than ideal. I did get to watch a fantastic moon rise over water last night, and that was pretty neat. I had not been thinking far enough ahead and grabbed cameras and lenses at a point where I got a few shots to play with, but it was a scramble that reinforces the need to go practice on a "normal" night. This morning, I just satisfied myself with a nice view out the window knowing that we would not get a color shift here, and it would be below the tree line at the best moments for viewing. Still nice, and I was up already. Take what you can get.
01-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Aslyfox, I'm certainly no expert, but I've played around with moon photos a little bit. The moon is a lot brighter than you'd think, so I believe you overexposed a bit. I've had good results with something like ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1/100th. I tried to find an example, but the EXIF seems to have been stripped from the moon shots I have access to right now.
i'm sure you are correct

i shot both jpeg and raw

trying to find a raw editor so I can see if anything can be salvaged
01-31-2018, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got clouded out! I even woke up at 5 and climbed a mountain to get a good view. At least we got a pretty sunrise.
01-31-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just so the thread has an eclipse shot. I had a decent view out the window of an upstairs bedroom, so I set up last night, opened the window and took some shots. I think this is the best I can get out of this lens combo, after a few eclipse attempts.
01-31-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Super Blood Moon in my area this AM at -17 C

5-shot bracketing to HDR Efex Pro 2

Pentax K-1 + FA*250-600 F5.6 @600mm

Super Lune bleue de sang / Super Blue Blood Moon

5-shot bracketing to HDR Merge in Lr

Super Lune bleue de sang / Super Blue Blood Moon

Last edited by Weevil; 01-31-2018 at 05:09 PM.