Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mannequin head on a stick, lol?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So... this will seem perhaps like a really daft question, but like... can you get such things as I describe in the subject matter?

Basically I want to practice, practice with a home studio set up, practice with lighting etc, see what happens when I apply certain light sources to certain places etc, but (and here's where it gets weird) also take the mannequin out to certain nature spots whereby I can set 'her' up, where a model might be and start firing flash outside at dusk etc and get more competent and familiar with my equipment in that kinda setting before advertising for real models/people etc.
I live right near some wonderful aussie natural waterholes etc, I would just like to practice more and I cannot always use the family as guinea pigs (they slow me down also...).

So i'm imagining I want the mannequin head to be able to be mounted to a tripod. It's not going to be ideal for all shots but most portrait work will focus on the face and eyes so yeh...

Is Bruce crazy?

01-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ha, not at all. I bought a mannequin head that I use for lighting set ups and it works great to see how different set ups change. I don't bring her out into the "wild" much though - not because I don't think she can handle it (), but because of the reaction I might get to a disembodied head on a stick might elicit... The idea of doing that when light is dim and people's imagination might be racier than in broad daylight might make me hesitant to be in a park doing this, but perhaps in a place that people don't frequent would be ok.

Personally, I'm looking for something that has more of the shoulders and bust so I can see how my hair-light might be spilling into areas that I don't want. And I think that would not look as spooky to someone who came up on me.
01-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something like this? Hair mannequin and ottoman for sale | Miscellaneous Goods | Gumtree Australia Melton Area - Melton West | 1161716905

Or one that would be light and easy to mount to whatever you want: Foam Head Short

Here's one with make up, if you know what I mean? http://www.thewigoutlet.com.au/mannequin-wig-head-display-stand/

Man, this got weird real quick: https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Hair-Makeup-Mannequins/177732/bn_1656630

Last edited by Tas; 01-19-2018 at 11:55 PM.
01-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I once bought such a head to practise manual focussing (getting focus right on the eyes then is not so easy with fast lenses), so generally it can make sense.

Carrying this outside into the public might cause the described reactions though.

01-20-2018, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Something like this? Hair mannequin and ottoman for sale | Miscellaneous Goods | Gumtree Australia Melton Area - Melton West | 1161716905

Or one that would be light and easy to mount to whatever you want: Foam Head Short

Here's one with make up, if you know what I mean? Mannequin Wig Head Display Stand - The Wig Outlet

Man, this got weird real quick: Hair & Makeup Mannequins | eBay
The weirder it got the more I liked the results
01-20-2018, 01:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Man, this got weird real quick:
If head on a stick is not weird enough, you can always choose head with a clamp But seriously: yes, the method makes sense, I used teddy bear for similar purpose.
01-20-2018, 02:08 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bruce, itʻs not a bad idea to start with a human substitute, just so you get your technique to a point you know where to start and what to change depending on conditions and results......but there is no substitute for the real thing and working with amateurs is harder than working with a pro model. (Family is usually the worst, as they will be the least patient.)

What Iʻm trying to say is that learning to work with real people is also a skill you need to develop and sometimes a quick dive into cold water is better than slowly tip toeing in. Any dog walkers or dog trainers in your area? Using a dog that is being trained to ʻsit-stayʻ (border collies, German Shepherd, Retrievers, Poodles...any of those obedient workaholics) make for great subjects unless the trainer/walker with the dog distracts you from your techniques.

Any taxidermists or hunters in your area with an old stuffed joey you could borrow? Imagine your mannequin posed next to a stuffed kangaroo!

Another idea is to get a full face mask to put on a tree or rigged onto a rugby ball attached to a tripod.

01-20-2018, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Any taxidermists or hunters in your area
Ah. Now memories of odd horror movies come into play.

Your friendly neighbor Norman Bates maybe could lend you his mother to tune the lighting.
He'd be quite helpful for sexy model shots under the shower as well.
01-20-2018, 04:01 AM   #9

I did exactly the same, mine was polystyrene so I made a hole in the base of the neck so it sits on a light stand, then you can also put a T Shirt on a hanger, suspend it from the light stand as well, close to the neck and use it as a 3/4 length dummy
01-20-2018, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

In the beginning when i was learning lighting in studio i also had this same idea. I just couldnt find a cheap mannequin. So I used my daughters doll.
I got boring very quick. I mean very quick. You can wrap a fabric around a tripod and get the same results. Dont waste the money and extra photography junk in your storage.
Interacting with human models is very rewarding. This can be hard of course. But there are a lot of young people who will like that you practice on them.
Especially your niece or nephews. A good friends daughter. Just make sure the parents or one of them come with her to your studio. She will love to get her pictures taken by a photographer for free.
01-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I immediately thought of this toy which my sister had over thirty years ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=girl+world+styling+head&tag=goo...pda9gbcd_e_p28
01-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
or you can take it to extremes... Suzanne Heintz - Recent Work
01-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Is Bruce crazy?
As you've already seen...no, you're not crazy. I learned studio lighting using one of those styrofoam heads that are used to store wigs. They're dirt-cheap...like less than $5. Almost all of them are white, but I suppose you could paint it if you wanted.
01-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
or you can take it to extremes... Suzanne Heintz - Recent Work
Wow...

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
As you've already seen...no, you're not crazy. I learned studio lighting using one of those styrofoam heads that are used to store wigs. They're dirt-cheap...like less than $5. Almost all of them are white, but I suppose you could paint it if you wanted.
Yeh, I thought about a white foam head but then I thought perhaps I'd not be getting enough feed back on lighting etc. I'm just gonna keep my eye out for a local deal on gumtree i think. A shop was closing down yesterday for example but was only selling body and no head pieces...
01-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a video --
-- by a guy who purchased a full-sized mannequin to practice lighting. It should give you a feel for whether or not you'd want to purchase a mannequin yourself.