Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
Veteran Member

a few different things:
1) send them to clients
2) upload them on instagram (select few that i like)
3) update them on facebook (the select few of the ones that ended up on instagram)
4) if its travel photography, make them into coffee-table books
5) gift them via photobooks

6) working on portraits, and once i have plenty, i will turn them into another book

01-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Holidays/days out/ family and friends nothing special but decent snaps printed to 6X4, and stuck in traditional album with photo corners, labelled with silver pen with place and date. Kept for memories of good times not necessarily good pictures, though I like to think they are pretty decent as snaps go. This can get very time consuming, I took hours sticking my Rome holiday photos in the album last February!
2. Good ones printed out to various formats up to 16X12 for place on wall. Rotated as new good ones get taken
3. Really special ones blown up as big as can be for format/size of living room wall, hand framed and stay on wall for ever - I have just 2 at present but keep trying to add to this number!
4. Calender each year as Xmas gifts for family and friends.
5. Have recently moved to a photographically more exciting location, so have taken many more pictures than normal. Will try a photobook covering 2017/18 this coming autumn.
6. Digital images stored on the SD card they were taken on. When the card is full I start a new one. I don't use my computer at all for storage. Good slides mounted and stored in boxes for occasional viewing on screen via a projector. The rest ruthlessly thrown away. Negatives only stored if they are good enough for printing bigger than 7X5.
Really interesting thread. I've often wondered why many of us take so many pictures as we so rarely look at most of the ones we've taken more than once!
01-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1. I share them with a friend.

2. I have a small Sony picture display on my desk at work that rotates through the best ones. That way the pictures are always there not just when the screensaver kicks in.

Really helps to have a moment of peaceful nature to look at while dealing with work issues.
01-24-2018, 12:44 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Browse through to revive memories of occasions and trips (my camera is my memory)
2. Use my garden photos for recording history of what flowers when, and progress (or otherwise) of my garden
3. Family pics occasionally printed for them
3. Occasional calendar
3. Plant and trips pics used for slideshow/talks to my local Australian Plant Society group
4. One day soon (lol) set up my printer and start up the learning curve for printing, to hang on the wall

01-24-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

I store them on my Readynas 2 Ultra NAS equipped with two 3TB hdd's (Raid configured), The server is DLNA enabled making it possible for other DLNA capable devices (Smart TV, iPhone/iPad, RapberryPi with Kodi/Openelec/Libreelec/??) to browse and see the Pictures whenever wherever as long as the device(s) are connected to my network.
But, nothing compares to having the pictures in an album.
01-24-2018, 03:29 AM   #36
Forum Member

Having posted my reply, it occurred to me to modify one word in the original question - What DID you do with your photos?

Back in the days when I shot transparencies, I'm not sure that they got any more public exposure than my shots today do. All that faff of having to set up a projector and screen, I just couldn't be bothered. I used a battery operated slide viewer to look at them but don't remember showing them off to many people at all. Even 40 years ago, it was the taking of the photo that I liked best. When I changed to prints, the photos probably got shown/given to family members. Mainly because a lot of those photos were of my kids, so grandparents were always a willing audience. And like now, some were turned into posters to hang on a wall at home. And while there are several albums of old photos, the vast majority of the pre-digital prints are still in their envelopes.

I wonder whether my reticence to show my photos was linked to being bored silly by other people showing me their photos - none of which were as good as mine, obviously!!!

And it might be that we are less likely to show off our photos today because we take so many. Remember the "good old days"? Going on a week's holiday meant taking several rolls of film. Meaning you'd take maybe 200 photos or so. Nowadays, I'll take 4 or 5 times that many. Maybe the answer is to take fewer, or to discard far more than I currently do when doing the PP.
01-24-2018, 03:38 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
Having posted my reply, it occurred to me to modify one word in the original question - What DID you do with your photos?

Back in the days when I shot transparencies, I'm not sure that they got any more public exposure than my shots today do. All that faff of having to set up a projector and screen, I just couldn't be bothered. I used a battery operated slide viewer to look at them but don't remember showing them off to many people at all. Even 40 years ago, it was the taking of the photo that I liked best. When I changed to prints, the photos probably got shown/given to family members. Mainly because a lot of those photos were of my kids, so grandparents were always a willing audience. And like now, some were turned into posters to hang on a wall at home. And while there are several albums of old photos, the vast majority of the pre-digital prints are still in their envelopes.

I wonder whether my reticence to show my photos was linked to being bored silly by other people showing me their photos - none of which were as good as mine, obviously!!!

And it might be that we are less likely to show off our photos today because we take so many. Remember the "good old days"? Going on a week's holiday meant taking several rolls of film. Meaning you'd take maybe 200 photos or so. Nowadays, I'll take 4 or 5 times that many. Maybe the answer is to take fewer, or to discard far more than I currently do when doing the PP.
I still shoot film, slide and B&W and waiting for some Ektar to arrive to play with, as well as digital, so I've not got out of the habit of being stingy with the shutter button. To my disadvantage when taking macro shots or hunting insects, which I almost always use my K3 for nowadays rather than film. I've none the less always been ruthless in discarding my photos either film or digital if I do not think they are good enough. A good habit o get into and keep.

01-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am doing a workshop course on photobooks. I have done annual year books and books based around trips in the past, using software that lets you compose the book and upload it so that it is delivered a few days later.
The workshop has been a revelation in terms of learning about the history and variety of photo - based books; the photographic methods, selection of complementary images for a particular page, the sequence, spacing and punctuation of the flow through the book, and the various binding techniques that can often be handcrafted. The process helps you see your collection of images in a new light - how themes emerge over time and how they can be presented in a new way.