Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 03:34 AM   #1

What do you do with your photos?

Question is in the title really. Once you've taken your pictures and edited them, what do you do with them?

I love going out and taking pictures and do enjoy editing them but I dislike the fact that they then stay locked away on my computer, some destined to never be seen again. For family holidays I usually end up making a photobook and I've just opened up an Instagram account and re-accessed my forgotten about flickr account, which I intend to drip feed photos onto, but after nothing. Thus I thought what better way to get answers than to ask a bunch of fellow Pentaxians.

So.... what do you do with yours?

01-20-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Three things really: a) have selected pictures printed onto aluminium to hang as wall art, b) make photo books for holidays and 'year books', and c) crop selected images to 16:9 and use them as Win10 desktop backgrounds, changing randomly every minute. Got several hundred pictures rotating like that. I don't instagram, doubt if I ever will.
01-20-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do a lot of 8x10 prints and shots I really like I do 20x30 and frame them. I always have three of the big prints hanging on my walls and I rotate them every few months.

I have been putting them on Flickr but started a Smugmug because you can see full size images. I use them just as another form of backing up images I really liked or found interesting.
01-20-2018, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do all sorts of things with my images, really. A good number of the photos I take are aimed for projects which will become either thematic books or online presentations (the latter especially for things like science talks and newsletters associated with my job). Travel pics are sorted and worked into travel books, mostly for my own pleasure. I also keep a yearly, week-by-week photo journal. I've found that is a terrific way to both self-evaluate and share ideas on lighting and so forth with others. It also serves as a great index for my images as well. Finally, I maintain a website with images I feel like sharing with the world at large.

Over the past few years, I've begun to make single prints of more photos for framing (I stopped completely in 2002 and didn't print a single photo for 5 years). The only problem with prints is a lack of wall space!

01-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have our favorites printed, big and small; I make calendars for friends and family; I give away prints to friends and family, etc.... I wholly believe in the printed image and the satisfaction that it can provide, either on our wall or someone else's....
01-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: What do you do with your photos?

I mostly make prints. For myself I tend to go large, typically around 16x20, 16x24 or so, but I have made many 8x10s to give away.
01-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Other than posting here or flicker, not much

We don't entertain so not much " traffic " at house

Several have been " printed " and are at wife''s office

Stretched canvas and metal

I like the larger stretched canvas but those are not cheap

01-20-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

All posted on Flickr,some posted to Forums here,best 12 in the year make the calendar for the following year and a few are printed and framed for display in my home.

Edit.Oh and the odd one gets published in a local magazine.

Last edited by timb64; 01-20-2018 at 05:28 PM.
01-20-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Screensaver and Photoframe

I select best pictures and downsize them to screen resolution.
Then they run in random loop in digital photoframe in my house.
Also I have WallpaperChanger app on my android phone which randomly change background once a hour or so.
I've used to have screensaver/backround changer on my desktop computer
01-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A few things:
  • I make a yearly photo album, 200 4x6's with hand printed captions, for my parents.
  • A scant few make it to flickr (link below)
  • The occasional batch go on my website/blog thing (link below)
  • I've done a few talks for local groups, some camera related, some insect/plant related, so some end up on the big screen (ok, 10 foot screen)
  • I sell photo cards and a few prints at the odd farmers' market or art show
  • I've done a few displays of matted/framed prints in local spaces that have little galleries (libraries, a camera store, and one coming up in an artists' coop), this is always a good exercise
  • I do give away the odd print, but I have to know the recipient actually wants it
  • I have only a handful of prints on my wall, usually as temporary storage for prints that have another purpose
  • Some end up in local brochures or newsletters of groups I'm involved in
  • Some end up on Facebook for our business (not photography related)
  • I was entering photo contests for a few years, but I was on a progression of winning smaller and smaller gorillapods, so I gave up before I won a 'pod of a negative size
  • I keep pretending a book is in the works, but have made little progress
01-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I put the vast majority of keepers into albums on Slickpic for reference, and to link them here :-)

I've loaded several hundred onto my phone for show-and-tell occasions, and killing time - I should change them from time to time.

I have six 20x30 and twenty-one 8x12 canvases - all from vacations except for 5 of Griffith observatory at different time of the day/night - on the walls.

Oh, and three photobooks of vacations.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-20-2018 at 05:11 PM.
01-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Of course I do the usual - prints, flickr, donate to not-for-profits, and computer wallpaper.

But I also archive the good AND their corresponding bad image files for later use in photography courses/tutorials that I'll be developing.
01-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Similar to what others have said, enjoy using them for desktop backgrounds; print out the ones I really like to plaster on walls or just kick around to flip through/thrust into a friend's hands - here, look at these; and as gifts.
01-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Regrettably, not enough. Edited and stored on the computer. For sharing I make an album on Flickr and share that way. I haven't printed and one is used as the computer background. Sounds like from others that I might get some satisfaction if I printed more, but I'm really not well versed on that aspect. It seems like there is SO MUCH information on printing that I don't know where to begin - that sounds like a cheap excuse, doesn't it?

After a while, I go into each photo directory, organized by month and year, and delete photos. It is easy to see after a year or two that there are relatively fewer photos that are necessary to define the event or location, so I'll just keep those and still know that I have enough.

Good question, and thanks for asking.
01-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's the strange thing about digital photography. Back in my 35mm days, I'd send off the film, get prints back and show them off to friends and family members. Once in a while, I'd get one I really liked blown up to an 8x10 and frame it. These days, I'm pretty much my own audience. Probably 95 percent of the photos I take never get seen by anyone but me. I take them, look at them on the computer and say 'that's nice' and move on. Once in a great while, I'll share them with a friend or family member but usually only if they were there when I took the shot. I'm really just beginning to learn the art of digital post-processing, so it remains to be seen how that pattern might change once I begin to take greater control of things.