Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My better digital and film photos are posted here under "post your photos".
They are then used as slide show screen savers on the PC.
The digital photos get printed in 4x6 format from my old Epson C88 and put in a photo album to look through and share with friends and family.
My film images that are developed by Darkroom are all 5x7 format and the keepers go into a photo album also.

01-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Mostly mine go on Flickr, but I also make directories/albums so i can show off some on my tablet, as well as making calendars, photo-books of vacations and a few wall prints.
01-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #18

Original Poster
It's cool to see just how many things people are doing with their photos!

It does seem that everyone is slightly different but getting them printed out and using them as PC wallpapers appear to be the most popular. Never really thought about printing them out and putting them in an album (really not sure why - seemed to stop doing that as soon as I went digital). As a linux user i'll have to have a search and see what wallpaper changers i can get my hands on.
01-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I regularly share the better shots on Picture of the Week (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/359328-weekl...ml#post4182889) - why not ? For those that don’t already know this is a ready-made and ongoing opportunity for forum members to post and view photos that have been taken or processed in the preceding 2 weeks using Pentax or Ricoh gear. This weekly challenge allows forum members to share and discuss photos they are pleased with, and see and read about what other forum members are doing. With few other restrictions this thread is characterised by the diversity of the photos shown and a community of regular, and one off, contributors and viewers.

photocles - do you print for your weekly/annual journal or is it digital? - if digital what software/platform do you use? - I like this idea.

Just thinking of getting a second hand viewer or tablet Vadik Toronto.

Hadn't thought of canvas Aslyfox! - nice idea.

Last edited by rjbrett; 01-20-2018 at 09:43 PM.
01-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
. . . .Hadn't thought of canvas Aslyfox! - nice idea.
my local brick and mortar photo shop offers many ways to spend money

not limited to cameras, lenses, tripods, etc, etc, etc, and so forth and so on

Main Categories - Wolfe's Photo Design Center | Photo Factory
01-20-2018, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

10years ago I used to make calender out of my pictures for giving it to friends. Now days I do not even get time to edit :-). I think it is easy to make calender now. Printing company(that accepts TIFF file) gives end to end solution. Check out Adorama. I used to get the pages for calenders printed in Adorama and then myself assembled them in to calender.
01-20-2018, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
a) At least once a year anything between 16x20" to 30x38" mounted and matted gallery exhibition (3-7 images).
b) Collaborate with a group for a 40-50 page 12x12" photo book (usually Blurb).
c) Post and share on Facebook.
d) Upload and share on Google Drive.
e) Mount and mat enlarged prints as gifts.
f) Maintain a private online gallery site.
g) All my work for hire, my rate includes the RAW files to the client on disk or USB flash or the cloud.

01-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
I make a hardcover "Family Yearbook" photo album and print one for each kid. When I die, they will know I wasn't such a schmuck after all (hey, they are teens now) and will remember the good times with a few spectacular photos of each family event, vacation, activity, etc. At least they won't have to go through shoeboxes containing a zillion slides and old photos like I did. The kids like photos of themselves in their rooms so I poster size a few of them playing sports, acting, or whatever and replace them every year or two. Photos for others (shooting a soccer game, regional theatre, etc.) are placed on SmugMug with a separate password.

Last edited by quant2325; 01-20-2018 at 08:05 PM.
01-20-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photo which I like most I put into dedicated folder on my computer. I use special program, which selects one of these photo as a screen background each time I unlock the computer. I often feel aha! factor at the moment of computer login or screen unlock. I even published some inscrutable regarding the program:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Changing-Windows-Desktop-Backgorund-from-Task-Sche/
01-20-2018, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #25

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Every year a selection of my favourite wildlife shots from the lake go into the family calendar which I give 2 copies to my parents - one for home and the other for the lake. Typically 6 of my best shots get made into 8x10 prints and are matted and framed and I give them to 2 charities I'm connected with and they use them as fundraisers. Some make it to Flickr but that is a small number. This year I might try selling a few prints but I am not sure. It's one thing for people to say they like my work its an entirely another thing to have them fork over some cash for a print.
01-20-2018, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I take the photos, then upload them on my computer and never look at them again. It is actually kind of sad

I find now I am getting way better at not taking 10000 photos because that means I have to sort through 10000 photos, which I absolutely hate doing. This aversion to sorting out keepers and editting has actually made me a better photographer. I think more about settings and composition, then take as few photos as necessary.

With time, I have also learned to not take a picture. Why take a mediocre photo (travel) when I can spend the extra time soaking in the moment? I am starting to carry my camera gear a lot less nowadays or letting others take the tourist photos.

In the coming months I will be spending a lot of time cleaning up the last few years of backlogged photos on my computer. I will probably print books of my travels and find a few "keepers" to hang on the walls.
01-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #27

Really good question....

(1) Favourite shots are pulled aside on computer and gone through to try and see how to improve/learn more

(2) After living with them on screen for a while the favourite favourites get printed at 11" x 16" but occasionally at 16" x 23" then rotated as wall space is limited

(3) 18 months ago asked myself the very same question as in "what am I going to do with my photos ?" and put on first ever local exhibition (14 images)

(4) Share favourite shots with friends and family
01-21-2018, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
. . . With time, I have also learned to not take a picture. Why take a mediocre photo (travel) when I can spend the extra time soaking in the moment? . . .
always remember to " take " photos first

with the " mark 1 " eyeballs and store in internal memory [ brain ]

then attempt to repeat with camera and lens and store in other media

IMHO, YMMV
01-21-2018, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two digital 18" photo frames in my living-/dining room that runs whenever my wife and I are in the room or have friends over for dinner. About a month ago I bought a new 55 " TV screen that I also use for displaying photos.
Viewing photos in this way also helps me deciding on post processing.
01-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #30
Forum Member

Like one or two others, most of my photos are just stored on my PC and used as wallpapers and screen savers. I think that is partly because I love taking photos more than I do viewing the finished article. Probably because my photographic skills in real life aren't quite as good as I think they are when taking the photo!

Some occasionally get made into calendars and some adorn the walls in my sitting room. I used to upload lots to Flickr but have got out of the habit lately. Similarly a number would appear on Facebook, especially those taken at gigs, and a few of those ended up in magazine articles about the band. I think the highlight was having some appear on the insert for a CD.

One of these days I intend to create a few photobooks covering holiday photos. One day ...