Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

photoalbums for weddings?

hey folks, wondering if you can steer me in the right direction here.

for my wedding, i had a photographer. did a great job (mostly) and i'm happy with the images. i didn't want him to make my photobook as at that time, i had a few books i made for my own clients from Adoramapix that was happy with.

he deals with Graphistudios. his books do look great. but rather than paying him, i figured i can just contact them myself and get my own books done.

but are there any other companies that make good photobooks that are highly customizable?

i'll be making two. one for my engagement shoots (i did my own engagement. dont really trust most photographers....) and another for weddings.

01-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know his rates, but it might be more cost effective to just pay for those books from the photographer. Once you factor in all the time you will spend researching, setting up the image files, driving to the print shop, picking up the order... and by paying the photog, you avoid any risk yourself (in case shop makes mistake or you don't like the final product).
I can't help you further, because I'm not from that part of the world. Good luck any way you decide
01-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't know his rates, but it might be more cost effective to just pay for those books from the photographer. Once you factor in all the time you will spend researching, setting up the image files, driving to the print shop, picking up the order... and by paying the photog, you avoid any risk yourself (in case shop makes mistake or you don't like the final product).
I can't help you further, because I'm not from that part of the world. Good luck any way you decide
these are all done online.
so the way it works is that these companies have an online building program that lays out stuff for you.
you pick your picture(s), lay them out in whatever format, and hit submit. within 1-2 weeks you get it in your mail.
in doing so, you get to see how the entire digital album is looking ahead of time. so you know exactly what you are getting.

the photographer charged us $4200 CAD for 2 day event.
then wants $2100 for an album with 20 spreads (10 pages).
01-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
these are all done online.
the photographer charged us $4200 CAD for 2 day event.
then wants $2100 for an album with 20 spreads (10 pages).
Wow, that's a bit steep on the album, but they are trying to make a little extra profit. I've used AdoramaPix, MPIX, and Shutterfly (they send out offers for freebies). I know there are others too, but I'm happy with Adoramapix and Mpix. I think most of the online printers make books.

01-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The book printing site Blurb may suit your needs. . [Blurb.com]

-Use their free software to make your book.
-Search online for a coupon which can get you anywhere from 20-30% off.
-Order using their highest quality paper.
-I print one book every year of my favorite photos-mostly family and whatever landscape photos I have taken that year interspersed in between. With the coupon I generally print a book of about 100 pages. That runs me about 75 dollars including shipping once the coupon is applied. I generally print using the 10x8 size, because its easy to thumb through. For a wedding album you may want to choose a larger size.
01-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
The book printing site Blurb may suit your needs. . [Blurb.com]

-Use their free software to make your book.
-Search online for a coupon which can get you anywhere from 20-30% off.
-Order using their highest quality paper.
-I print one book every year of my favorite photos-mostly family and whatever landscape photos I have taken that year interspersed in between. With the coupon I generally print a book of about 100 pages. That runs me about 75 dollars including shipping once the coupon is applied. I generally print using the 10x8 size, because its easy to thumb through. For a wedding album you may want to choose a larger size.
yeah, not too happy with blurb. they work if its just toss away projects, or very tight budget stuff. but i wont really call them 'premium' or 'high end' kinda thing.
ie, the adoramapix hudson quality is superb and heafty. it looks and feels luxury.

i'm just trying to find other options that are 'luxury'