Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax vs .... a different take on things.

Hey there guys!
Hope all is well.
This thread is a mere chance to get your opinion and not bash one or another gear brand.
I am a bit confused. Let me explain.
Sometimes I get on Flickr to check out photographs from different systems. I enjoy skimming through all sorts of genres admiring how people frame and process their images. It gets me inspired. But lately I have been wondering. All the talk about Pentax k-1 being awesome in various aspects and having a great sensor has to show in the most important aspect - the images. Yet when I go to Flickr and type K-1 into search bar I get a whole bunch of OK shots. With a very good one here and there. Yet if I type sony a7r3 I am being blown away by the imagery. Now, don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy my Pentax gear but I would like to hear your take on this matter. And I do know for a fact that Pentax k-1 is a very capable camera.
Are we worse in PP than Sony users?
Are Sony users better photographers in general?
Do you think that it’s just because more talented Sony photographers use Flickr?
I can go on really but the main question for me is “what gives?”
What do you guys think?
Thanks a lot.

01-22-2018, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe there are just a lot of more those images from other systems, which will also translate into more good ones?
Pentax groups on Flickr don't seem to be all that big or active but the other brands seem to have a lot more brand enthusiast activity.
Also, other brands are definitely more popular with pros. That has to affect the quality of images being produced.

Maybe Flickr isn't a good measure?
01-22-2018, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
If you just search for "K-1," you're not necessarily getting photos taken with the K-1. You're getting photos with a K and a 1 in the name somewhere. I'm hardly seeing anything on page 1 of the results that was actually taken with the camera.

A better comparison would be between the group pools for the cameras: Pentax K-1, Sony A7Riii

I'm not seeing a troubling quality gap between those groups.
01-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
If you just search for "K-1," you're not necessarily getting photos taken with the K-1. You're getting photos with a K and a 1 in the name somewhere. I'm hardly seeing anything on page 1 of the results that was actually taken with the camera.

A better comparison would be between the group pools for the cameras: Pentax K-1, Sony A7Riii

I'm not seeing a troubling quality gap between those groups.

Yeah sorry, I should have specified it in my first post. I type
Pentax k-1 and Sony a7r3 respectively.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

01-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I guess I assumed you were already doing a camera search (which isn't intuitive in Flickr).
Try starting here at the Flickr Camera Finder and you will probably be more satisfied with the results. .
01-22-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
Yeah sorry, I should have specified it in my first post. I type
Pentax k-1 and Sony a7r3 respectively.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
If I'm at a workshop with Canon, Nikon and Sony owners, our shots end up looking the same, Racingsnake.

We're standing in the same place aiming similar lenses at the same subject.

Does that give you a hint as to what makes a memorable photograph?

Check out the Post Your K-1 Pictures thread right here rather than on Flickr. There is no reason you can't do better than all of us.
01-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Try starting here at the Flickr Camera Finder and you will probably be more satisfied with the results. .
And don't go to Pentax. Go to Ricoh...

Flickr: Camera Finder: Ricoh: IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. Pentax K-1

01-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are other places to look too.... Pentax K-1 / 500px
01-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

i attribute this to a few different factors:
1) the price for the sony A7rII/III/A9/A99 etc. because its a premium price tag, it will attract people who are very serious about photography. the K1 on the other hand is a very budget friendly camera. as such, it attracts the casual shooters or amatures more.
2) i've noticed the subject that people shoot their products more vary from product to product. ie, sony shooters usually (in my experience) shoot portraits. pentax shooters shoot astro and landscape. 2 VERY different things.
3) there are more of sony shooters, and canon, nikon, etc shooters thank pentax. pentax is a VERY VERY small group of people. their sample size is far larger than us.
01-22-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Maybe there are just a lot of more those images from other systems, which will also translate into more good ones?
I think this is correct. Moreover, most of the professional photographers are using Nikon/Canon/whatever, so maybe we can assume a pro can consistently output good images as compared to an amateur enthusiast.

However, I am not at all concerned with the quality of Pentax images and K-1 in particular. I'm not sure this is true, but I think I've read somewhere that if you do a weighted brand comparison, Pentax images end up with the highest average of likes on Flickr (or maybe it was 500px, not sure). I didn't check this out myself, but I came up with an explanation (if this is true). I noticed that most of the Pentax users are rational, pragmatic people and they choose the brand based on their needs and logical decisions, as compared to average Canon / Nikon users who base their decision on good (I admit) marketing. It's only logical that the first will probably get better results in anything they try, photography included. Also, noticed that many of them are engineers

You shouldn't be concerned about what others do. In the end, what matters most is that you yourself are happy with the pictures you take (for me at least)... although that's not such an easy goal to accomplish.
01-22-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And let's not forget that Ricoh Imaging of America cares so little about marketing that they haven't even added the K-1, KP, or K-70 to the Pentax Photo Gallery...
01-22-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also post images from time to time on Facebook and see the images posted by guys there the same day shooting beside me. The pictures are identical. Some are shooing with low end bodies and Sigma or Tamron 150-600s, some are shooting with $15,000 Canon or Nikon rigs. IN 90% of the images, it really doesn't make a difference. The shots look pretty much the same.

Last edited by normhead; 01-22-2018 at 07:27 PM.
01-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
What do you guys think?
If you can see a difference on flickr, that's certainly not because of the output of K1 or a7III because anyway both cameras far exceed the resolution that flick is capable to render. With K1 or A7III you could print 2 meter wide to get all the data coming out of the sensor to your eyes. When reduced to 1Mpixel for displaying on flickr, most of the image information from both cameras goes down the drain. So, my answer to you impression is: 1) the difference that you see comes from the photographers looking behind the viewfinder and 2) how the image is processes when downsized for flickr.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-22-2018 at 03:04 PM.
01-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
Forum Member

Searching isn't a reliable way to get a feel for a camera or its users. You need to look in groups. Searching is going to turn up popular images, and a camera that's selling far more copies is going to have a larger pool to pull great (thus highly favorited and commented) images to the top of your search. If you go into groups dedicated to the camera, the K1 has some nice images. I'd agree they don't really blow me away though. If you want to see a real sleeper camera with an outstanding image collection, look at the Ricoh GR II group.
01-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

for what its worth, i recently went to a photogroup for jason lanier. there were about 20-25 photographers there.
19 of them used sony a7/a7R/a7II/a7RII or other variations
1 used a nikon
1 used a canon
1 used a pentax.

does that say sony is the most popular camera? not really. canon and nikon are still far more out there. just that focus group was sony obsessed.