Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2018, 06:33 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question for those who buy from KEH.

I used to buy quite a bit from them. Funds are low right now for me and I was looking at their new buy option with Affirm. Can anyone tell me their experience with this new option?

01-28-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suffer from LBA but I have my limits. If I don’t have the cash I will not buy it. If I were to start buying lenses or camera gear on credit, I’d be bankrupt in no time.
01-28-2018, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I suffer from LBA but I have my limits. If I don’t have the cash I will not buy it. If I were to start buying lenses or camera gear on credit, I’d be bankrupt in no time.
Well, that's nice you can control your spending but that doesn't answer my question about Affirm.
01-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had never heard of Affirm until this post. It seems they are targeting Millenials who mistrust credit cards...

Affirm Lets You Buy With Easy Payments, But Should You?

01-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I used to buy quite a bit from them. Funds are low right now for me and I was looking at their new buy option with Affirm. Can anyone tell me their experience with this new option?
I would probably apply for a line of credit on Paypal via a larger Ebay purchase before that. Paypal credit is usually 6 months same as cash and 12 months at a lower rate. Affirm seems to charge high rates and will cost you more in the end.

I needed a new propane heat system for the house and Paypal credit was the way I did it. It makes it too easy to buy lenses but is better than making a large purchase on a credit card. (That gets paid in full every month so no interest charges there either.)
01-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks boriscleto, I'd never heard of them either until I started looking at KEH and their offer. I'll read about from the link you provided.

SSGGeezer, I have PayPal credit, but thanks.
01-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like I should bypass this option. After reading the reviews, I'll just save my money and then buy the next camera I was looking at on KEH.

01-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
i looked into this and if you have a credit card or can get one with a 0% introductory offer you will be better off. it looks the lowest rate is 10%. and PayPal offers 6 months same as cash on anything over $100.00 i take advantage of this occasionally. my mother taught me to use the banks money whenever possible. bottom line is only you know what your situation is.
01-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second or third the Paypal option. If you already have a Paypal account and need a little extra credit it is a very good option. I think it is usually same as cash for 6 months on most items. I know nothing about Affirm.
02-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought a couple lenses from KEH using Affirm (21ltd and 40ltd) and it was painless. They're very cell phone based--I used an app to pay, they texted me when payments come up, etc. I'm not sure if this is usual, but my purchase was interest free. I assume its not standard, but I paid the straight up cost of the lenses over 5 months.