Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On Line Photography Courses

Hello All,

I have recently stirred up an old hobby of photography since retiring and purchased a new "DSLR" camera, Pentax K-70 to be exact, didn't think there would be such a huge learning curve since my last Pentax (SP1000) back in the 70's...hahaha.

Boy, was I wrong! So started my hunt to learn all over again in the Digital World. I went on line searching for "Photography Courses" to enhance my abilities and learn how to use "this computer with a lens" my first choice was to buy the book by Yyvon Bourque available through this forum.

While checking out local colleges and resources near me, finding a lot of information but being retired I did not want to get into a 4 year program or become a "Professional Photographer" I thought "I will check out the Pentax forum" for reviews of what is available, no info on here so i sent a message to Adam and he suggested I start a thread here for information and reviews for "Online Courses" for learning about Photography.

Please see my attached Quote of that message.

Feelings? Interest? Please comment and post your replies, I as well as others may appreciate any input?

Attached Images

01-28-2018, 08:26 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought about something like that also but I have learned so much just by watching YouTube videos. There are so many good photographers that put out really informative stuff.
01-28-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend checking out Creative Live on line. They have lots of photography related courses, from introductory to those intended for folks attempting to make a living through the lens.
01-28-2018, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

YouTube has many wonderful free tutorials.

Also try Creative Live -- www.creativelive.com. You can watch a course free when it first airs and if you like it then decide to buy it. They have courses that run the gamut from beginner to advanced and cover everything from camera to lighting to software, even business of photography classes. I've bought a few classes on Creative Live and enjoyed all of them.

There are a few other companies that run classes -- some work on a monthly subscription model and you can pay for a month or a year and access as many classes as you'd like. Take a look at Lynda.com or Kelbyone.com or Greylearning.com

01-28-2018, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I like You tube for Post processing videos that reduce the learning curve. I have considered several courses on actual photography online but have not yet made the leap. I am re-reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I like books and experimenting before paying for unknown content.
01-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I thought about something like that also but I have learned so much just by watching YouTube videos. There are so many good photographers that put out really informative stuff.
True there is a lot of info available but I was looking for something a little more "one stop shopping".
01-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t know what they charge these days, but the New York Institute of Photography is still in business and offer their courses on-line. If you sign up for their news letter they will email tips now and again.

No I’m not affiliated. It does seem simple courses that are trustworthy can be hard to come by.

01-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
YouTube has many wonderful free tutorials.

Also try Creative Live -- www.creativelive.com. You can watch a course free when it first airs and if you like it then decide to buy it. They have courses that run the gamut from beginner to advanced and cover everything from camera to lighting to software, even business of photography classes. I've bought a few classes on Creative Live and enjoyed all of them.

There are a few other companies that run classes -- some work on a monthly subscription model and you can pay for a month or a year and access as many classes as you'd like. Take a look at Lynda.com or Kelbyone.com or Greylearning.com
I have signed up for a course through iPhotography, I have just completed module 1 of 18 when I am complete I will post my review.
Cost for the course varies greatly and I was able to find a coupon for $49.00 for what is normally $749.00!
Online Photography Course, Classes and Training by iPhotography?

---------- Post added 01-28-18 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I like You tube for Post processing videos that reduce the learning curve. I have considered several courses on actual photography online but have not yet made the leap. I am re-reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I like books and experimenting before paying for unknown content.
You may want to check out this course, so far I am impressed!
https://www.groupon.com/deals/iphotography-16-boston

I have no affiliation!
01-28-2018, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #9

Photos: Albums
Belong to a club photo. Participate to the workshop. Participate to the photo critique. Participate to the competition and get inspired by the other members . You will progress fast.
01-28-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photography Courses | Coursera
Coursera has Photography classes I have taken some other courses on Coursera. They are tailored for working people who want to learn something on the side. Inexpensive. Almost like non-profit.

Digital Photography Tutorials
This site very detailed info and also guy knows how to explain.

PTAssembler Tutorial
This is for Panorama.
01-28-2018, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I've taken various on-line photography classes. My favorites are on Udemy.com . Their prices are low, no ongoing monthly fees like Lydia.com, and their quality is much better than YouTube. I especially liked their courses on making videos.
01-28-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't pass those college courses by too quickly. Many (community) colleges have "Intro to (Digital) Photography" courses (I taught a couple of such sections here at Northern Arizona University a few years ago). You can probably take just a course or two, you don't have to sign up for a degree program. Many universities and colleges (especially public ones) offer reduced- or even no-fee courses to seniors. Talk to the admissions offices.
01-28-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I second this idea. Spend hours and hours watching Youtube videos. There are so many it's not even funny.

It all depends on what you want to learn and where you think you are lacking. If it's something gear related you will get much more pointed answers specific to your camera here. Say for example you want to learn about metering. This will all be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. IE Canikon's system and Pentax won't behave the same.

For stuff like that I would definitely tap into the collective brains here on the forum. They can tell you on your camera which mode meters how and so on and so forth.

For other things such as composition or thousands of other topics Youtube can give you a big head start.

I personally have a set of books that I bought that I constantly refer to and get ideas from.

While I have never taken a class, I think you will gain a lot more for your money if you can get the basics out of the way first, gain some general concepts, then define what kind of photography you want to do. IE Macro or Landscape...

Once you get to that point at least in my opinion you could then take a course if you desire. If you are active on the forum here and ask a lot of questions to the right people while also watching Youtube videos you can get a pretty sound foundation for free before you go to a class.
01-28-2018, 10:33 PM   #14

Harvard offers a open course free online with 12 modules for digital photography it seems very interesting.
01-29-2018, 03:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonver Quote
Harvard offers a open course free online with 12 modules for digital photography it seems very interesting.
I could not find any links to a "Free Course" from Harvard on Photography, do you know the link?

All I could find was a "cease & desist" order to Alison.
QuoteQuote:
Update on 1/18/17: We’ve heard word that Harvard has sent a cease and desist order to ALISON, instructing the service to take down this free online course. If you’ve enrolled, you supposedly have until February 15th to complete your course materials on ALISON before the course is withdrawn. As we’ve mentioned before, you can find the free official Harvard course materials on this website.

---------- Post added 01-29-18 at 05:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tonver Quote
I could not find any links to a "Free Course" from Harvard on Photography, do you know the link?

All I could find was a "cease & desist" order to Alison.
QuoteQuote:
Update on 1/18/17: We’ve heard word that Harvard has sent a cease and desist order to ALISON, instructing the service to take down this free online course. If you’ve enrolled, you supposedly have until February 15th to complete your course materials on ALISON before the course is withdrawn. As we’ve mentioned before, you can find the free official Harvard course materials on this website.
https://alison.com/courses/photography

Last edited by SharkyCA; 01-29-2018 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Additional Information