Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
No, you do not get it. Back in the day when I shot only JPEG as a matter of course I only worked on copies of the original JPEG's. SOP in that day and age, but even using lossless formats to work on will not give you back the data discarded in the original JPEG conversion. Eight bit format concerted to sixteen bit format does not result in more data.

Raw gets saved as jpeg before you print or before posting on the web. Nobody prints or posts raw files. Same loss of data.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-09-2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Rude comments removed.
04-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #107
PDL
Pentaxian

Really? so when Export a 16 bit TIFF from my software and send it to my outside print provider it gets changed to JPEG? On what planet. When I print directly from my my RAW converter to my local printer, you know, the one connected to my print server, it gets converted to JPEG? Just keep smoking what you have and it ain't very good.

I can export images as PNG "for the web" too, ya know the 16 bit version. When I do export JPEG's, I sure as heck don't go off and edit those at all. I do export JPEG's web use by the non-profits I shoot for, but those are pretty low res and going 16 bit format is overkill.
04-09-2018, 01:03 AM - 4 Likes   #108
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, let's keep this friendly and respectful. There is no need for anything other than that.

Any posts and replies that don't meet that standard, as mentioned in our forum rules, will be deleted and may incur infractions.

Thank you
04-15-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #109
PDL
Pentaxian

Another nail in the JPEG compared to RAW conversation.

Why shoot RAW? | Capture One Blog

Just saying: