Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a digital photo frame?
#1 Yes. 1434.15%
#2 No. 2765.85%
#3 If you voted "Yes" above, would you be more likely to buy a rectangular or a square photo frame? 1126.83%
#4 If you voted "No" above, would you vote yes if square photo frames were an option? 921.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital photo frame quick poll

Following the discussion in this thread, I've created a quick poll. Read more here: Digital Slideshows Suck. - PentaxForums.com

This is a multiple choice poll. You can vote for more than one option.

Question 3 was not well worded. Only tick 3 if you would prefer a rectangular photo frame.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-04-2018 at 02:12 PM.
02-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

This is a multiple choice poll. You can vote for more than one option.

Question 3 was not well worded. Only tick 3 if you would prefer a rectangular photo frame.
#1 is like asking if I would buy a Ferrari. If I was buying an expensive sports car - quite possibly. But I would answer no.

I did buy a frame, and I would have bought a square one had it been available, but I have no need for one...now. This scenario does not fit the poll questions.

Should only be 1 question: If you were buying a photo frame, would you want a square format where the image's long side is the same dimension regardless of image orientation, or rectangular format where portrait-orientation images are significantly smaller?
02-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Should only be 1 question: If you were buying a photo frame, would you want a square format where the image's long side is the same dimension regardless of image orientation, or rectangular format where portrait-orientation images are significantly smaller?
Questions about the image's dimensions is too complicated in my view. The starting point for me is whether there is a market for digital photo frames or not. If someone says they will buy one, then by asking if they prefer rectangular, conversely tells me whether they would prefer square. Likewise, asking if they'd change their point of view, after saying no, based upon the availability of a square frame tells me whether they can be swayed from a no answer to a yes answer, based upon the theoretical availability of a product not currently available.

In my view, no matter what the orientation of the frame, whether landscape, portrait or square, there will be "dead" real estate either way. And, as I have pointed out in the other thread; I'd not buy a digital photo frame myself because I have ample screens in my home to view photos on, should I wish to. But interested to see if there may be a market for Sal's invention.

So far the results are interesting and I look forward to sharing same after a week has passed.
02-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a digital photo frame that I received as a gift. It is currently in the closet, on the floor. It was sort of cool to begin with, but did not take long to become tiresome...sort of like slide-show screensavers.

As for format, the display is 3:2 and will fit to widest side or expand to fill. Square works just fine as long as one does not have a problem with the side bars.

Steve

02-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I do not need one more piece of electronic device.
02-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did.
Maybe they have improved...but I found the resolution lousy, too bright, too reflective, you want it on when you can see it but off the rest of the time for the sake of energy bills and polar bears, you want all of your images on it until your mother in law comes over then you just want the boring ones, you forget to update the content, then one day you just can't be bothered to turn it on and it ends up being an ugly empty frame sat there all the time until you put it away forever.

Or at least that's my experience.
02-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If I were able to get a square digital photo frame for a decent price (without the ugly frames that most manufacturers seem to favor) I'd personally buy a bunch.

Not for any of the reasons that the OP has listed, and definitely not for any type of utility - I'd buy it because I shoot square for most of the work I exhibit in galleries, and thus for square photos it'd be great.

I absolutely wouldn't buy one to display photos in my home as I have decent quality monitors already and I can't really see the point of that.

02-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Questions about the image's dimensions is too complicated in my view.
I thought that was the entire point of the original thread, and certainly a bunch of photographers should not be confused by "long dimension".

So now, you're getting spurious answers that do not address the question of frame format, But have fun - it's your poll. :-)

My Alzheimer-ish mom loved the frame I gave her after her hip replacement surgery.
02-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I thought that was the entire point of the original thread, and certainly a bunch of photographers should not be confused by "long dimension".

So now, you're getting spurious answers that do not address the question of frame format, But have fun - it's your poll. :-)

My Alzheimer-ish mom loved the frame I gave her after her hip replacement surgery.
The average buyer, in my view, simply won't care about frame format, aspect ration, optimal use of display area and so forth.
You're, of course, welcome to design your own poll.
02-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Perhaps I would buy one, if the quality would meet the size and the price. And the frames wouldn't be so awful, like they tend to be.
Most of the frames I've seen are just ugly, expensive junk.
02-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #11

I voted no. The last thing I need is Yet-Another-Gadget to plug into my already overloaded wall outlets.
02-06-2018, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've voted "no" to buying a frame.

In a household of three people we have multiple TVs, laptop PCs, desktop monitors, tablets and smartphones. All can be pressed into service for display of photos, and all except the TVs can do so on a portable basis. The tablets and smartphones can be rotated easily for landscape and portrait orientation as required.
02-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I need is a piece of wallboard, something to replace a whole 8' piece of sheetrock. The entire thing is a 4K display. Whatever image dimensions you have it will display in full resolution, with the rest of visible area of the device calibrated to match the color of the surrounding walls.
02-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
What I need is a piece of wallboard, something to replace a whole 8' piece of sheetrock. The entire thing is a 4K display. Whatever image dimensions you have it will display in full resolution, with the rest of visible area of the device calibrated to match the color of the surrounding walls.
The technology is not quite there yet. But almost.
Seventy Series LCD Display Wall (55") - LCD Display Wall - Products - Display Wall - MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC
Or better yet,
Samsung Unveils ?The Wall,? the World?s First Modular MicroLED 146-inch TV – Samsung Global Newsroom
02-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just wish my Amazon Fire TV would allow me to put photos on a SD card and do the screensaver thing when I am streaming audio only apps. I do not want to upload my images to Amazon or pay for the apps that are available through Amazons store.
So I voted yes, but it needs to be high resolution and have a nice border. most frames out there now are very low res and annoy me.

I think it is Adorama that has a large one that shows famous art work and it looks like a larger painting. With a subscription, (of course.) You can use your own images rather than paying for famous works using it though.
Here is one that displays in 4k and is cheaper than the Arty brands which are only 1080p. Memento Electronics 25" Smart Frame, Black