Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll find the 24-70 to be a very useful tool - I wouldn't just buy it for aesthetic impact on clients

That said, you should definitely dip your foot into the vintage glass pool. There is some magical rendering on those old under-corrected lenses.

02-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going say pretty much the same thing about pixel shift. If you're doing static product photography, that's pretty much the ideal use case for that. In which case you may really want to look at what are the very sharpest lenses.
02-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day Jaron,

I'm with Peter mate, your images are what's important here and you've posted some excellent work in this thread. Having said that I'd love to see what you could create if you hired a 645Z and 90mm macro too.

As you already have the K-1 I can see you will get a lot out of pixel shift with the types of subjects you shoot, so that new D-FA*50 lens might be one for you to try out as I expect it will be the new pinnacle of sharp for Pentax (an opinion only of course but judging by the latest D-FA* zoom lens I reckon that's a reasonable expectation). Hopefully we'll find out when the D-FA* 50 is coming to market soon.

You've done your lens research so you may be across this already, but just in case you weren't I thought I'd make mention of some less obvious lens choices. You seem cool with manual lenses which should mean you'd be cool with using Zeiss. There are ZK mount options, they are limited to some but not all the Zeiss 'classic series'. There's about 20 on ebay at the moment (only in 25/28/35/50/85). The prices are all over the place but I use ZK lenses so can recommend them, especially the Makro Planar options if you can find them. But looking beyond ZK is really why I mention the Zeiss option as this takes you from nine ZK options, some of which are very rare and hard to find, to thirteen Classic and eleven Milvus options.

The extra options exist through the Leitax mount for the ZF/ZF2 series of Zeiss glass in Nikon mount. The adapter is added to the lens and is reversible should you want to return it to Nikon mount. The adapted lenses work like an M42 lens which is not as flexible as a straight K mount option but is very easy to use on the K-1 and the quality of the lenses means it's worth a mention, IMHO, YMMV etc There's some adapted lens shots in this thread: Carl Zeiss T* ZK mounts (Distagon, Planar, Makro-Planar) - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com the linked page is where the first Zeiss/K-1 images start with the ZK options.

Now to sound like an ad; 'But that's not all': Leitax adapters can also be used on some Contax Carl Zeiss, Leica and manual Nikon glass, which again opens up a new range of lens options that most people wouldn't consider when thinking shooting Pentax. The Pentax A mount lenses are likely to be cheaper and do all that you want them to do but if any of this sounds interesting you can check out Leitax adapters here: Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

It's always good to hear how people get on, so I hope you can share more of your work with us using whatever lenses you go with.

Tas
02-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a pro, but I do have a K1 with the 24-70, and it's an amazing combination. I had been using a Tamron 28-75 I snagged used while I contemplated what I wanted to do in that range, and finally picked up the 24-70 on the recommendation of a pro. Transformed the whole shooting experience with the K1. The balance and performance feels great. It works great and feels like that's the way it's meant to be. A few weeks ago shot an event at an art gallery in a neat historic building. The speed was perfect and so was the range. I can't help but think if it's your bread and butter, you'd want this lens as your primary work horse on a K1.

02-08-2018, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think you'll find the 24-70 to be a very useful tool - I wouldn't just buy it for aesthetic impact on clients

That said, you should definitely dip your foot into the vintage glass pool. There is some magical rendering on those old under-corrected lenses.
Thanks Sandy, yes, weirdly I'm more excited about experimenting with some old glass and finding gems (and duds) than I am new bells and whistles lenses. Being a photographer for a living means the fun of it is sometimes lost which is a shame.

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 02:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'day Jaron,

I'm with Peter mate, your images are what's important here and you've posted some excellent work in this thread. Having said that I'd love to see what you could create if you hired a 645Z and 90mm macro too.

As you already have the K-1 I can see you will get a lot out of pixel shift with the types of subjects you shoot, so that new D-FA*50 lens might be one for you to try out as I expect it will be the new pinnacle of sharp for Pentax (an opinion only of course but judging by the latest D-FA* zoom lens I reckon that's a reasonable expectation). Hopefully we'll find out when the D-FA* 50 is coming to market soon.

You've done your lens research so you may be across this already, but just in case you weren't I thought I'd make mention of some less obvious lens choices. You seem cool with manual lenses which should mean you'd be cool with using Zeiss. There are ZK mount options, they are limited to some but not all the Zeiss 'classic series'. There's about 20 on ebay at the moment (only in 25/28/35/50/85). The prices are all over the place but I use ZK lenses so can recommend them, especially the Makro Planar options if you can find them. But looking beyond ZK is really why I mention the Zeiss option as this takes you from nine ZK options, some of which are very rare and hard to find, to thirteen Classic and eleven Milvus options.

The extra options exist through the Leitax mount for the ZF/ZF2 series of Zeiss glass in Nikon mount. The adapter is added to the lens and is reversible should you want to return it to Nikon mount. The adapted lenses work like an M42 lens which is not as flexible as a straight K mount option but is very easy to use on the K-1 and the quality of the lenses means it's worth a mention, IMHO, YMMV etc There's some adapted lens shots in this thread: Carl Zeiss T* ZK mounts (Distagon, Planar, Makro-Planar) - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com the linked page is where the first Zeiss/K-1 images start with the ZK options.

Now to sound like an ad; 'But that's not all': Leitax adapters can also be used on some Contax Carl Zeiss, Leica and manual Nikon glass, which again opens up a new range of lens options that most people wouldn't consider when thinking shooting Pentax. The Pentax A mount lenses are likely to be cheaper and do all that you want them to do but if any of this sounds interesting you can check out Leitax adapters here: Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

It's always good to hear how people get on, so I hope you can share more of your work with us using whatever lenses you go with.

Tas
Thanks Tas, lots of information here for me to delve into. I'll be sure to share from my first shoot which is next week. Will be a hired lens for then I'm guessing but I like the sound of the Zeiss lenses.
A 645Z is what I'll be using when the clients are queuing around the studio...
02-08-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are some other 3rd party macro lenses that I don't think were mentioned yet, but as the OP seems interested in macro and generally high quality glass, these are a few that I've seen mentioned* that are probably worth bringing up again.

Sigma 70mm Macro
Sigma 180mm Macro
Vivitar/Lester Dine/ Kino Precision 105mm Macro

The last is a manual focusing only prime, and seems more rare in versions where the camera body can control the aperture. All seem to review very well and are full frame compatible. They are all available in K-mount without need for conversion.

*: I've not used these, I am only repeating what I've heard, and trying to offer up other options. Take this with a grain of salt.