Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Pentax lens conundrum for professionals

Since I figured out that swapping from Canon to Pentax (with the K1 arriving tomorrow), I think I have read about every compatible FF lens there is. Geeked out.

But now I realise I'm going round in circles and I would like, if possible, some hands on advice or input.

I'm used to working with large format Sinar equipment, but since turning freelance this is no longer an option, nor is it needed. Obviously with this kit I've always used fixed lenses and move the camera. I'm a studio photographer, I've attached some work below, shot with a variety of cameras.

So first I went down the thought process of older fixed 'A' lenses, and found the ones I'd use, 24, 35, 50, 100...

Then I thought about the SMC FA lenses, in fact I have bought a 50mm macro from here. Obvious upside is AF, although I really only need that from between 24-50 range as I often shoot textiles from up a ladder, health and safety would not be happy.

My opinion is mixed, I'm quite an old school photographer and love the romance of using the old A series lenses but the K1 is anything but old school. So perhaps I should just save up a bit and get the chunk that is the D-FA 24-70 that was designed for the camera - I am a professional after all, and it does look pro! I'd probably only need that lens and the 50mm macro.

I was on a shoot last week, was actually using a Nikon D800E. I could tell that one of the people I was working for was a little 'what, you don't even have a medium format camera?' face on her. It made me think, if this Nikon can possibly be frowned upon what will people think with me turning up with a Pentax with old fixed 'A' lenses on!!! I know it shouldn't matter what people think, especially if clients are more than happy with the results (which they were), but it does in such a competitive market.

It's frustrating because for me, it's all about the lighting, inside or out.

Perhaps the answer is to get some cheaper old glass just for personal work, and have the D-FA 24-70 for pro work... (and sneak a A series image in when they're not looking)!

Thanks all, Jaron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Sinarback 54 FW, Sinar 4x5 
View Picture EXIF
Aptus 22  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Leaf Aptus-II 10(LI300325   )/Mamiya 64  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3  Photo 
02-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

I have a K1 and matched with the DFA 24 - 70 F2.8, its a cracking lens, well built and highly recommended, I've attached an image . hope its OK, its mildly NSFW

Chris
Attached Images

02-07-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaronjames Quote
...Perhaps the answer is to get some cheaper old glass just for personal work, and have the D-FA 24-70 for pro work...
That's a good answer. Build your system around the 24-70. When you need closer focus you've already bought the 50mm macro.

The 24-70 is "only" f2.8. Will you ever need thinner depth of field than that? If yes add one of the DA or FA Limiteds.
02-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the OP is going to be using the K 1, am I right? perhaps this info might be helpful

" Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses

The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings.

Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details,

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

or seek advice in the lens forum. . . .

Of the 15 current AF lenses, 5 are all-new for the K-1, 2 are macros developed during the digital era, 5 stem from the fim era but are still in production, and 3 are crop lenses officially deemed to cover the full-frame image circle. Those crop lenses have full-frame correction profiles in the K-1. We discuss all these lenses in more detail toward the bottom of this page.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

02-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
the OP is going to be using the K 1, am I right? perhaps this info might be helpful

" Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses

The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings.

Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details,

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

or seek advice in the lens forum. . . .

Of the 15 current AF lenses, 5 are all-new for the K-1, 2 are macros developed during the digital era, 5 stem from the fim era but are still in production, and 3 are crop lenses officially deemed to cover the full-frame image circle. Those crop lenses have full-frame correction profiles in the K-1. We discuss all these lenses in more detail toward the bottom of this page.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Yes you are right - read all this thank you!
02-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could always trade out for the 645z, that would solve your and your models medium format envy.

I personally lean towards a kit built around the 3 FA Limiteds (31, 43, 77), which are almost reason enough to get in to the Pentax system themselves. Several of the A lenses are great, particularly the A* lenses, but I like autofocus on digital.
02-07-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First... get a grip, man! That will make your camera look bigger to those who think pro cameras cannot be compact.

The 24-70 is also a good solution both from the standpoint of the "size matters" client crowd and from a faster workflow point of view of minimizing time spent swapping lenses, focusing, etc.

DeadJohn is right (and you are right) to split you lens collection into "pro" and "personal". Clients need never see the ancient tiny primes you buy for fun.

Finally, you mentioned going up ladders, etc. One of the amazing features of the K-1 is the stilty-legged tilty screen. In liveview, with the screen tilted in the right direction, it's very easy to hold the camera high over your head in either landscape or portrait orientation and get those kinds of high-angle shots. It may not replace all the ladder work, but is does let you get a quick preview of the high-angle perspective.

02-07-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I Had a Pile of Money and a K-1 and Needed Lenses, by pres589;

Here's what I would do, and really it's the full-frame flavor of what I'd tried to do with my crop kit. I would base it around a good all-around zoom, with key focal lengths covered by high-quality primes. So, to start off with, the D-FA 28-105. Then, the Three Amigo's, the FA 31, 43, and 77 Ltd. The kind of wide, the perfectly normal, and the sorta-tele / portrait lens. Round that out with a nice wide prime. This is sort of a sore spot in k-mount land right now for the full framers. I would probably go with a Samyang 20mm. *I have not used this lens, I only go by reputation, and it's good but grain of salt*.

If I didn't have a pile of money, I would still get the 28-105, find a used F 28 f2.8, a DA 40XS, and a DA 70 OR an M 85 f2.0 but only if you are okay with not having autofocus for that sort of focal length. I have found that I don't, at least on my semi-modern crop DSLR.
02-07-2018, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I already have the Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 which is considered reasonably sharp, so when I went for a macro, I got a Tamron 90mm f2.8 which gives me a lens in the longer focal length range and allows me to shoot from a bit further away than a 50mm. It still achieves 1:1 and is incredibly sharp. You can probably land a Tamron for somewhere around $150US in great condition. Just another option to the 50mm macro to throw out.
02-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I already have the Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 which is considered reasonably sharp, so when I went for a macro, I got a Tamron 90mm f2.8 which gives me a lens in the longer focal length range and allows me to shoot from a bit further away than a 50mm. It still achieves 1:1 and is incredibly sharp. You can probably land a Tamron for somewhere around $150US in great condition. Just another option to the 50mm macro to throw out.
I like my DA FA 100mm 2.8 macro ( no WR )

It will do 1:1

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DFA-100mm-F2.8-Macro-Lens.html

It can be found used at decent prices

Check the market place, that is where I found mine

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.
02-07-2018, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaronjames Quote
It made me think, if this Nikon can possibly be frowned upon what will people think with me turning up with a Pentax
They will either think "why is this person not a sheep like the rest of us" or "what does he/she know that we don't"

Surely your images should speak for you, not your equipment.
02-07-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
They will either think "why is this person not a sheep like the rest of us" or "what does he/she know that we don't"

Surely your images should speak for you, not your equipment.
One would hope that was true.

Alas, many clients find it easier to judge the size of the camera than the quality of the image.
02-07-2018, 02:47 PM - 6 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Get the biggest, most impressive looking medium or large format camera being sold for 'parts' that you can find. Hide your K-1 inside of it.
02-07-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you are shooting static studio subjects, they will be ideal pixel shift fodder.
Just blow your clients away with file sizes so large that their computers slow down and the lights dip when they open them
Also, a one main lens solution sounds liberating.
02-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If I Had a Pile of Money and a K-1 and Needed Lenses, by pres589;

Here's what I would do, and really it's the full-frame flavor of what I'd tried to do with my crop kit. I would base it around a good all-around zoom, with key focal lengths covered by high-quality primes. So, to start off with, the D-FA 28-105. Then, the Three Amigo's, the FA 31, 43, and 77 Ltd. The kind of wide, the perfectly normal, and the sorta-tele / portrait lens. Round that out with a nice wide prime. This is sort of a sore spot in k-mount land right now for the full framers. I would probably go with a Samyang 20mm. *I have not used this lens, I only go by reputation, and it's good but grain of salt*.

If I didn't have a pile of money, I would still get the 28-105, find a used F 28 f2.8, a DA 40XS, and a DA 70 OR an M 85 f2.0 but only if you are okay with not having autofocus for that sort of focal length. I have found that I don't, at least on my semi-modern crop DSLR.
I think you’re right with the 28-105 and add the Ltds as I can get them. Thanks pres589 - I’m not bothered about autofocus, but the ltds are great.