Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 02:12 AM   #1

Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 announced

*Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 Art lens announced | Photo Rumors

It has some pretty outstanding MTFs, let's hope it will come to the K mount too.

02-09-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma would rather they build their lenses for a non existent market in their SD line of DSLR than a 5% market share Pentax
02-09-2018, 02:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see a lot of field curvature in the MTFs: also astigmatism, which will make the edges at wide apertures with this lens will look a bit mushy. @ f/8 the lens looks like a solid performer.
02-09-2018, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Even in the very unlikely event that this will be available in K mount, I think I'd stick with my DFA 15-30 f/2.8 anyway, as I'm very happy with it optically. The Pentax lens's main flaw is its size, but at 1,150g, the Sigma is actually 10% heavier than the DFA, so no advantage there.

02-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Jebus its 100g heavier than the HD 15-30/2.8!
02-09-2018, 03:49 AM   #6

Twitter
Kimio Tanaka, the famous photographer among Pentax users, said "Sigma will never make lenses for K-mount, and I've given up to hope".

Twitter
1 year ago, he asked A Sigma's PERSON about a plan of Sigma's K-mount lenses. (I think the person is the president of Sigma.) The person said "There is no plan that Sigma will make lenses for K-mount".
02-09-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to "General Photography", as the news isn't directly Pentax-related (until Sigma starts producing K-mount lenses again)...

02-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Moved to "General Photography", as the news isn't directly Pentax-related (until Sigma starts producing K-mount lenses again)...
Hurrah!
02-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I see a lot of field curvature in the MTFs: also astigmatism, which will make the edges at wide apertures with this lens will look a bit mushy. @ f/8 the lens looks like a solid performer.
... and no K-mount...
02-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really, a Sigma 14-28, when every one already makes a 15-30 2.8. Those of you trying to claim this lens fills a gap Pentax needs really are stretching the envelope on this one. No, this is an example where Pentax makes a good lens, and Sigma is just playing "me too" with a slightly different focal length. It's focal length is covered by every big company. This is Sigma trying to go head to head to steal business from OEMs. When they provide lenses like my 8-16 or 70 macro where there are no competing lenses, Sigma is great thing. For stuff like this, it would be better if they didn't exist. They just take business away from the guys who made your camera and most of your lenses. If what you want is Sigma lenses, then you shouldn't be shooting Pentax. That's not rocket science.

There are times when I sympathize when Sigma makes a lens others don't and we can't get it. This isn't one of those times. If this lens is of interest, man up and buy the DFA 15-30., which incidentally, I have only heard wonderful things about. There are times when you dance with the guy who brought you to the dance. Not the guy who wants to dance with you all night after someone else brought you.

My advice, Sigma doesn't support Pentax, stop supporting Sigma. If you want to support Sigma, change to another brand. it's that easy. But quit crying in your milk about Sigma not supporting Pentax. Personally, if I never buy another Sigma in my whole life, it won't bother me. They've made their bed, now it's time to go sleep in it.

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2018 at 10:29 AM.
02-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Heavier than Pentax 15-30, has no filter threads like the Pentax 15-30, doesn't appear to be WR like the Pentax 15-30, and lists only Sigma, Canon, and Nikon mounts. Not sure why we'd hope for it. What I do hope for is a FF UWA WR f/4 zoom that covers at least 18-24 and has 77 or 82mm filter threads. That would be the perfect lens to compliment the 28-105 for hiking.
02-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sigma is just playing "me too" with a slightly different focal length
This is Sigma trying to go head to head to steal business from OEMs
If what you want is Sigma lenses, then you shouldn't be shooting Pentax. That's not rocket science.
My advice, Sigma doesn't support Pentax, stop supporting Sigma. If you want to support Sigma, change to another brand.
I disagree, Norm, although I see where you're coming from...

Sigma might be playing "me too" and trying to take business away from OEMs... but maybe their product is (a) nearly as good yet way cheaper, (b) just as good and a bit cheaper, or (c) better, whilst still being competitively priced. Sigma has been turning out some excellent glass in the last few years... Why shouldn't Pentax users wish for those lenses in K-mount? A lot of people came to Pentax when Sigma was supporting that mount. You can't knock them for wishing that support was still there, and hoping it may return at some point. This has nothing to do with either camera or lens brand loyalty.

I own three Sigma lenses... the 18-300 "super zoom", 17-50 f/2.8 and recently acquired 30mm f/1.4 Art. All fantastic lenses in their own way, especially the last two. If Sigma decides to bring back K-mount on some other models, who knows? Maybe I'd end up with more...
02-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I disagree, Norm, although I see where you're coming from...

Sigma might be playing "me too" and trying to take business away from OEMs... but maybe their product is (a) nearly as good yet way cheaper, (b) just as good and a bit cheaper, or (c) better, whilst still being competitively priced. Sigma has been turning out some excellent glass in the last few years... Why shouldn't Pentax users wish for those lenses in K-mount? A lot of people came to Pentax when Sigma was supporting that mount. You can't knock them for wishing that support was still there, and hoping it may return at some point. This has nothing to do with either camera or lens brand loyalty.

I own three Sigma lenses... the 18-300 "super zoom", 17-50 f/2.8 and recently acquired 30mm f/1.4 Art. All fantastic lenses in their own way, especially the last two. If Sigma decides to bring back K-mount on some other models, who knows? Maybe I'd end up with more...
Because hell hath no fury like a Pentax user scorned.
02-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because hell hath no fury like a Pentax user scorned.
Some of them, sure... others are more rational. I wish Sigma hadn't abandoned K-mount, but I can guess there were sound business reasons for doing so. And if there are sound business reasons for supporting K-mount again, I'm sure Sigma will. Given the rate at which Pentax is releasing new glass, it could do with some more third party competition to keep it on its toes
02-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with Norm that this lens has no real purpose in k-mount land between the 15-30 and (hopefully, reviews and images telling) the upcoming DA* 11-18.

I also agree that, when Sigma shows up with a very good product, especially when it's one that doesn't have an OEM equivalent, it's a great thing. Not stuff like 70-300 zooms that don't perform that well or lenses where there's so many horror stories about inaccurate AF performance that it scares people away.