Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 219 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2018, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Why?" is a good question to put to yourself in many situations, and, from reading similar posts over the years of membership here, many people do so. I think it's fair to say that many of us find ourselves lacking motivation occasionally, so it's useful to examine the reasons why we do things.

Although it's possibly old hat to many who've been exposed to it, I still find Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to be a useful framework for thinking about such things, at least as a starting point. Unless you're using photography as a means to make a living, you'll be looking at the higher levels. So, in general terms, do you use it for affiliation (finding a like-minded group, even this one, or person), esteem (self or others) or self-improvement?

In my case, photography satisfies a number of areas of personal need, across those three levels of the Hierarchy. I'm not sure of which level my love of good machinery and equipment fits, but I suspect it exists across a number of them, and it dovetails neatly in with other aspects, because I find the tactility and functionality of my cameras and lenses draws me into using them, allowing me to satisfy affiliation, esteem and self-improvement in a way that my other past-times and abilities fulfill to a lesser extent. I imagine that's because photography is so useful across so many areas of life (documenting life or work, recording significant occasions or unusual events etc) and you can do it just about any time you choose. Being able to fix a tap or wire in a light fitting can do the same, but there's only so much of that available, let alone bringing the same degree of esteem or improvement.

Frameworks for thinking are useful things, though not in themselves an answer to anything. That lies within the individual.

02-10-2018, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
last week, a combination of illness and a death in the family kept me busy/exhausted
Very sorry to hear this news Dave, condolences to you and the family.
02-10-2018, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

I started photography for practical purposes, then noticed that some pictures happened to be pictorially pleasing. I got interested in what makes a good picture, and pursued this by looking at both paintings and photos, and I find it interesting how some of my pictures which I thought would be good seem dull afterwards, and others I thought would be dull turn out good - to me anyway. I don't share much with others.

I go to art galleries and read about both art and photography. Incidentally, I recommend any photographer to read E H Gombrich's book "The Story of Art" The Story of Art - Wikipedia which I believe is commonly an art course book and has much relevance to photography. I don't paint myself, life is too short, but I can take photos.
02-10-2018, 08:06 PM - 4 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography is a journey of the self...
It started for me when I was handed an Auto 110 in the late 70s. I had plenty to shoot growing up at the edge of a small town in the North Dakota Badlands. In the early 90s I taught myself how to develop film and photographs. For me, that was one of the highlights of my photography. At that time I started to make money with my photography, and it blossomed into being a large part of my income into the early 2000s.
During that time I owned a construction company, and although I made money with my photography, it was more of a release than anything.

Then, in 2005, I found myself a single father with a teenage daughter and two young boys. I had no choice but to slow down with my work to spend time with my children. Honestly it became an excuse to spend more time with my cameras taking my children to the beach, camping, sports and etc.

A few years ago, life turned on me so to speak. I was in a bit of a funk, like the OP, and I put my cameras away and even stopped coming here to the forums. During that time I made some major changes in life, including taking up a new profession, one which I always wanted to do since I was young. In my 40s I put myself through the police academy and became a Deputy Sheriff. While I love my job, I needed a release from the stress.

And I came back to photography. I still shoot a lot of film along with my digital. I no longer care what other people think of what I photograph, because it's primarily for me now. I look to get one image each week I think is worthy of being printed, and so far I'm not doing too bad. Once in a while I'll have an old customer of mine ask me to do some paid work for them, and I'll oblige, only if they understand I'm doing it for the enjoyment.

Photography is my Art from within, it's my connection to myself.

02-15-2018, 02:55 PM - 9 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone for your replies! I have emerged from my "depressive funk" thanks in part to all of you. I'd like to respond to everyone's comments individually in gratitude, and at the end I'd like to add a couple more comments or questions for further discussion.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
...I also really enjoy collecting old lenses (mostly Soviet), fixing and servicing them, and tinkering with them to see how they render and perform. I currently spend way more time on my lens collection than I do taking photos, although that bias swings back and forth over time. My motivation waxes and wanes every few months, and during those times where I'm not feeling all that motivated, I'm happy to read and learn rather than picking up the camera. I don't feel any pressure to spend more or less time on any single aspect of the hobby... after all, it's my hobby, and up to me how I enjoy it
That sounds familiar... I have done best as a collector, and enjoy being behind the camera moreso than in front of a photograph. Nevertheless, there's not much of the hobby I do not enjoy. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I assume no one wants to see my photos and I don’t show them. Cameras and lenses are toys that I play with and collect.
I've wanted to see your photos for quite a while! And that K2 is still getting plenty of use. And I have a very secure grip on the camera when I use it... I'll have to make a new post about that. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
....photography fills a need to be creative in a non-technical area, sort of a pressure relief valve...As for showing people my images, I do share prints with friends and sometimes make gifts of them if I have a theme or series I think someone would enjoy having. The positive feedback is nice when others like what I've done.
I have a similar background... besides the visual attractiveness of the equipment, and the feel of the stuff in use, I really liked the mix of tech and art. So, I enjoy the experience quite a bit, but I don't get much feedback on my stuff, which I suppose is neither here nor there. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I really don't care if anyone sees my photos from a personal perspective. I make a lot of images that no one ever sees, except my wife who politely smiles and tells me how great it is. I enjoy learning new techniques and processes, playing with lenses and cameras. On the other hand I do sell my photos and it is a significant part of my income.
Interesting! That's a strange dichotomy, but I guess it makes sense that you have confidence in your work in that you make a living (at least partly) off your skill. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
There was a great photgrapher, some would argue one of the best ever, called Vivian Maier....
What an interesting story! I guess maybe it's never too late to be appreciated? (or not if you believe in reincarnation) Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
...."other people wanting to see my photos" is really just another kind of sale or barter -- you show them a picture and you get paid in praise....I think there are lot of hobbies that are like this such as doing cross-word puzzles, gardening in the backyard, stamp collecting, or skiing. They are hobbies that are intrinsically fun for the doer and don't depend on outsiders to pay any money or complements.
I'm not sure really why I am "looking..." but I find that I am sometimes even though the experience really is "enough." And I get your point about non-productive hobbies.... I used to be addicted to World of Warcraft several years ago... talk about wasting your life! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
....Obviously there's some urge calling you "Go out and shoot". So as long as you have fun, why to question?
Great question, yet here I am! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
...here are some of the reasons I take photos... beauty... gratitude... sharing.
I'm definitely with you, and would add "fun" to that list. Sometimes just fiddling with the equipment and not even taking a shot brings some amount of joy. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
....Over the years I have evolved to finding that relaxation through the lens of the camera, at the beginning steps. I can sit in my backyard and work with a single leaf for over 20 minutes, trying a variety of techniques to create an image "I" like....
Sometimes I find the act of photographing relaxing. But if I'm in public (which I often am anymore), I end up feeling a bit of anxiety wielding the camera in front of curious eyes. I know I shouldn't, and I see plenty of others running around with cameras sans self-consciousness, but try as I might, I can't seem to shake that uncomfortable feeling. It doesn't bug me enough that I miss shots, if I really want them. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
For me, the way to avoid/escape the depressive funk is to do something positive. Sometimes that is taking a photo. It doesn't have to validate the cost of the camera gear or be art. Maybe I'll work up to art tomorrow, today I'm just getting off the couch.
I shall have to put that attitude to the front of my mind next time I start sliding into a trough. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
....I finally feel very satisfied with my "KEEPERS" and call myself an artist "Pictorial Writing Category" Not Yet a Nobel Prize Category but I keep Submitting !
Keep on keepin on! Thanks for the photos and comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I take photos of what I want. Other people seem to enjoy them. That's enough.
Does sentence number 2 matter to you? Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Someone once made an analogy that making an image is like having a child. You couldn't have done it by yourself, and once it's "born", it has a life of its own...
That's a great thought! I'm glad none of mine have turned to a life of crime, nevertheless, no doctors or lawyers either. Oh well... it was fun makin 'em! ;-) Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
None of my friends nor my family members care about the pictures that t take..... Photography is a moderately complex activity, and that complexity becomes a driver.
I'm not sure what my family thinks of my photographs. My wife says they're great without me knowing whether she actually looks at them. Few hang from the walls in my home, and those that do are photos of her family. Oh well.. at least she hasn't sold my equipment out from under me. And I agree with your latter comment too. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I don't do photography with the idea anyone else may/may not want to see my photos. Rather, I enjoy taking them, and enjoying them myself....
Interestingly, despite my whining, I don't either. It's only when I'm quiet, depressed, or otherwise bored that I think about whether any of my photos are worth anything, after the fact. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
I take photo's for work... and I take photo's of my dogs, landscapes, macro shots of things growing on old dead trees, birds on bushes, on rivers & in flight, interesting rocks (i'm a geologist), buildings, waterfalls, frost on windows, My name is Nick, and I take photographs ! :-)
Hi Nick. I'm Jason, and I also take photographs! :-) My dogs are a common subject, too. Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by HippyHippo Quote
Photography is a language, like any other art form. If you go inside yourself and find out what it is that you really want to say it is hugely rewarding to learn how to then express that in photographs. Your authentic self has a voice. It doesn't matter if anyone else likes it or not (no, it really doesn't matter, I'm not saying that as a mental shield in case nobody buys it!). It opens a door to understanding yourself better. It is empowering to dare to say it in an image. Good luck in your photographic journey.
This is fantastic! I think all the time I've been photographing, it has largely been of things I've happened upon, or of family/friends/dogs, etc. Sometimes, it's a challenge I found online or a photo-of-the-day exercise. Although I do have a few, I have found it difficult to "tell a story" with my photographs. It's something I'm working on to some extent, and hope to improve upon. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Photography is my attempt to capture what [becomes] a human moment of shared experience....
A beautiful way to think of it. I wish I could say that this goal was foremost in my mind more often, but I can say that sometimes it is. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Just needed somewhere to spend my vast fortune
Mission accomplished! Well, almost. Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In a single simple term, "creative outlet".... OK...I confess, I also like the technical aspect, the craft, and working with good tools.
The stuff I've been reading (metaphysics/philosophy/spirituality) says that creativity is the point of existence. What do you think of that? Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
The act of creativity in itself is spiritual, anything after that is inconsequential.
I swear I didn't read ahead when I wrote the post just above! i guess you would agree with my statement? Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
...Depression is such a demon and it sucks the life right out of you to the point that nothing seems interesting.... Where does your joy come from? Seeing what I've captured, the story it tells... Why do you think anyone else wants to see your photos? Honestly I don't. In fact it amazes me when people do say nice things about them... Depression is an awful feeling. It is hard for folks who've never had to deal with it, to understand how it sucks the joy right out of everything. In doing that, it makes you question why where you ever interested in the hobby in the first place. I lost the desire for photography so much that I stopped visiting the forums and checking the threads I used to participate in regularly. I stopped paying for Flickr Pro and stopped the automatic payment to the Forums (sorry Adam, but I will keep up the annual donation). At the time I couldn't see the point in paying for something I wasn't participating in. My black cloud is lifting, but it's a slow process. At least I can see some improvement.
I especially appreciate your response, Stevi. Thanks for that, and for trading PMs with me. I'll PM you again later. This too shall pass.

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
...Photography has so many different types and elements it is constantly giving me more things to learn it is a smorgasbord for me to choose from every day. But the bottom line is it is fun and I enjoy it and have done so ever since I received an instamatic 104 camera in the 60's.
Very true! When I got a bored/curious a few years back, I started shooting film. I remember the day I told my wife. I said, "Well, I've decided to try a new direction in photography," and she said, "As long as you're not going to shoot film.... [showing her my new KX which is now monochrome's KX]... Oh my god." Ha!! Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
If you enjoy it, the question is why not? ...Just enjoy that you can create images and that you are pleasing yourself.
Great question... why not?! I enjoy it still, and as long as no one gets hurt, I plan to keep on with it. Besides, I have so much stuff, just the thought of itemizing and selling it all makes me tired. :-) Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
...It's also effective therapy, for me anyways. Looking for, then capturing, the things I find beauty around me means I have to see the beauty around me.....
You know, thinking about your comment, it occurs to me that perhaps I should do more toodling about by myself in my photography efforts. My wife and I usually go for walks when weather and time permits, and I find myself feeling rushed sometimes to get the shot when that is not the case. So, unlike pcrichmond, I don't usually feel like I have 20 mins to line up a shot and experiment, even though I probably often do. Nevertheless, I think a solo excursion now and than for "me time" might help. I probably said too much.... thanks for the idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
....The process is enjoyable, and the results are tangible. Although I have never made a dime doing it, it has given me free pit access to hundreds of live music gigs I would otherwise have missed.
And knowing your work to some degree, having a good bit of skill doesn't hurt either. Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by Snafu711 Quote
...My satisfaction in photographing is to strive to become better. And to be happy when managing to take an exceptionally good picture or learn a new technique....
Keep climbing the neverending learning curve, and be happy doing it. Sometimes I get in a rut and let it get the best of me.... preventing that from happening is also a goal of mine. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
....I think after a more careful reading of all the various "reasons", they basically boil down to "I do it for me"
I came to the same conclusion. Actually I'm a little surprised but then again, not really. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
...I don't especially care if anyone else wants to see my photos. My sharing circles are small groups here, on Flickr, and I'll rarely stick a photo on Facebook. I would rather be asked a question about my photo - that might improve my photography or help someone else learn something - than have someone click "like" which does nothing.
I just dumped my Flickr Pro account. My wife has recently exploded onto the internet with a local blog, and she tells me Instagram is the place to be, so I'll try that maybe, just for her. "Likes" shouldn't mean anything, but yet they kinda do. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I love using precision machinery. My passions extend to firearms, woodworking, auto repair, flying airplanes. They are all precision machines. I make no money with any of it....
Wow, that's quite a list. I'm jealous about the piloting you do. Thanks for your comment!

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I like to be where nice pictures are. The photography really is secondary. As for why do I think anyone wants to see my pictures? I harbour no presumptions in that regard....
Do you mean you travel a lot, or do you live in a beautiful place? I think my travel photos are some of my favorites, but photos of what has become "mundane" or at least common to me are sometimes more challenging to get something out of. Thanks for your thoughts!

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
(This thread provided a most enjoyable read during my ride home on the transit bus this afternoon. Thank you all.)
No kidding!

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
...Above all else, my greatest enjoyment comes during a photo outing, when I'm working my shot, playing with compositions, studying the light, slowing down. In those twenty minutes, I am free from life's complexities; in that instant when I trip the shutter, I've removed myself from everything except my subject....
Another guy with 20 mins per shot! Hahaha! I guess I'll pipe in with the notion that sometimes I get bored with digital, so I whip out the film unit (sometimes the K2) and do that for a while. It really is a different experience. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
...Due to my deep obsession with photography I've learned to ...see light differently. ...
Me too! I find that very often, I "see" things in terms of composition, lighting, and technicals since I started photography 10+ years ago. It's just a part of how I see, camera or not. Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...I haven't bought a new camera since the K-1 was released and ...In the end, satisfaction comes, not from pleasing someone else, and certainly not from acquiring more stuff, but from doing something that pleases yourself.
Same boat here. I did get a second K-1 just because it was silver and nobody was guarding the bank account at the time, but seriously I don't know if I'll ever buy another camera again. Unlike you, however, I am not a morning person, and wish I was. Cheers and thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I have loved photography since the first black and white image was developed in a friends darkroom, the process , the engineering, the art are all fascinating, digital manipulation and computer slideshows as well, family memories and history all keep me going. If someone was to see a photo and like it that is nice, however I do it for me. Oh and I do it with a Pentax
Something stirred [no pun intended] within me when I first developed a film, too. It's almost different enough that it's a different hobby altogether. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
Art is not necessarily about you.
True. But what I've learned so far from all of you is that is should necessarily be FOR you. Cheers, Batmon!

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Jason, for me the " why " is because it is the only ADVENTURE that I do solely for me. ...Good luck with your " depressive funk," and hope it clears away soon.
Thanks! And, I see some more solo journeys for me in 2018. Just short ones... don't want to make my wife nervous. :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
...I mainly shoot landscapes and cityscapes and its an opportunity for me to visit new places, explore, push me to find interesting spots, excite me to read up on things I haven’t paid attention to before. ...Be in the moment, feel it and live it!
I wish I had more time to travel... it would certainly give me a motivating kick in the butt, that's for sure. Be in the moment, indeed! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by photocles Quote
Yes it is a meditative experience. In fact, I think that's why I just can't find a way to enjoy photography (the actual photo-capturing part of it) with other people. I have to be in a meditative state that is too easily broken...
Wow, that's a unique way of thinking about the requirement for solitude in photography that I kind of just discovered while writing these responses. Reinforcement! Thanks for this great idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Photography is just a function of parts of my personality. I like to find things. I like to keep them, but I'm not a hoarder, I don't really like to own things. I like exploring, Pictures let me bring home digital trophies. My hard drives are the same amount of space, full or empty. But that's just the photography part..... That's actually pretty exciting.
This is a unique perspective so far in this thread. I have actually considered making a scavenger hunt type list for myself before.... never did, but the thought was there. I actually have an app on my phone that does that, however I haven't given it due diligence recently. Oh, and one more question.... did you pick up the dime? Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I shoot for me and only me - I shoot and try different techniques/lenses as a form of therapy, I suppose... all the likes/faves/etc are nice, it's always nice to be recognized, but if I don't get any recognition at all, I'm okay with it...
Thanks for your comments... and condolences for your loss.

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
That's indeed the advantage of having photography as a hobby (not being a Pro). Do what you want to do.
(I mean only few lucky ones do what they really want to do and (as a bonus) are paid for that...)
Yes, and I've always considered that once something becomes a job... it's no longer fun. I am now in position to look back on some jobs I hated at the time but would jump back into this afternoon if I could. Live and learn!

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
...Although it's possibly old hat to many who've been exposed to it, I still find Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to be a useful framework for thinking about such things, at least as a starting point.....
Frameworks for thinking are useful things, though not in themselves an answer to anything. That lies within the individual.
I've got the Wiki page on Maslow open now, and will do the research when I'm done (which is looking to be soon!). Thanks for another unique perspective!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
...I go to art galleries and read about both art and photography. Incidentally, I recommend any photographer to read E H Gombrich's book "The Story of Art" The Story of Art - Wikipedia which I believe is commonly an art course book and has much relevance to photography. I don't paint myself, life is too short, but I can take photos.
I'll follow that lead also. Thanks for your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Photography is a journey of the self...... A few years ago, life turned on me so to speak. ...I made some major changes in life, including taking up a new profession. ...I still shoot a lot of film along with my digital. I no longer care what other people think of what I photograph, because it's primarily for me now. I look to get one image each week I think is worthy of being printed, and so far I'm not doing too bad. Once in a while I'll have an old customer of mine ask me to do some paid work for them, and I'll oblige, only if they understand I'm doing it for the enjoyment. ...Photography is my Art from within, it's my connection to myself.
More new nuggets of gold! I've bolded a line in your comments that I think I'll try and make one of my new goals, too. Maybe not quite that ambitious (1/month?) but something like that. I do need to make more large prints.

Thanks again to all of you for reading my original post, and for the sincere responses that you've all given. Even if you are lurking, thanks for stopping in.

I've only got one more question I want to throw by you guys... art is about expression, and expression is a form of communication. A lot of you (and I agree) said that 'photography is for me,' or words to that effect. Anyone want to try and bridge that gap? I mean, sure there are those who are into the art 100% and don't care about cameras or lenses one wit. Then there are pure collectors who never use their gear. I'm thinking of a camera shop slash museum in a nearby town where I'm pretty sure the owner is only displaying his collection and isn't *really* interested in selling much of it. We are all somewhere in between (except maybe monochrome... just kidding!) so I guess my question boils down to, when you are shooting for yourself, who are you communicating with?

That's all for now.
Thanks again everyone!
02-15-2018, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

monochrome is somewhere between the poles - just way over toward the end labeled, “Ooohh. Shiny !! Me Want !!!”

I do use my cameras and lenses eventually, or sell those I don’t use - eventually. What I really enjoy is lending an old film camera to a curious friend and then - eventually - getting the PM -

Hi: About the K2 . . . I know you like KX’es. What would you think about . . . ?

It’s all good, right?

Last edited by monochrome; 02-15-2018 at 04:51 PM.
02-15-2018, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
so I guess my question boils down to, when you are shooting for yourself, who are you communicating with?

02-15-2018, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so I guess my question boils down to, when you are shooting for yourself, who are you communicating with?

Who am I shooting for (sometimes at)?

Why, my needy little inner geek, of course! Who else will think I'm always wonderful?
02-15-2018, 03:57 PM - 4 Likes   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very glad to hear you're feeling a bit more positive!

I've only got one more question I want to throw by you guys... art is about expression, and expression is a form of communication. A lot of you (and I agree) said that 'photography is for me,' or words to that effect. Anyone want to try and bridge that gap? I mean, sure there are those who are into the art 100% and don't care about cameras or lenses one wit. Then there are pure collectors who never use their gear. I'm thinking of a camera shop slash museum in a nearby town where I'm pretty sure the owner is only displaying his collection and isn't *really* interested in selling much of it. We are all somewhere in between (except maybe monochrome... just kidding!) so I guess my question boils down to, when you are shooting for yourself, who are you communicating with?
I currently have no desire to bridge the gap and reach anyone with my photography. But I reserve the right to change my mind whenever I please

Taking photographs, post processing, learning and mastering techniques and equipment, collecting, servicing, playing with gear etc. - for me, the point is personal enjoyment and indulgence... escapism, even. I don't look for praise, criticism, acceptance, approval or any other feedback on my limited achievements, though I frequently ask for help and advice to increase my knowledge and ability.

I do enjoy talking with other folks about photography and equipment, learning from them, and helping others by sharing what little knowledge and experience I have. That's probably the only bridge between my hobby and others, but I value it greatly

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-15-2018 at 04:54 PM.
02-15-2018, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I do use my cameras and lenses eventually, or sell those I don’t use - eventually.
I sell NOTHING! (Well, almost nothing...)

Steve
02-15-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does sentence number 2 matter to you? Thanks!
Sure. But it's probably the least important thing.
02-15-2018, 04:19 PM - 6 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I want to thank everyone for your replies! I have emerged from my "depressive funk" thanks in part to all of you. I'd like to respond to everyone's comments individually in gratitude, and at the end I'd like to add a couple more comments or questions for further discussion.
We're glad this thread helped and very much appreciate your replies. It's nice to have a good conversation on the forums.

That's all for now.
Thanks again everyone!
My attempted answer is two-fold.

First, maybe I'm communicating with my future self. All the photographs I've taken are reminders of where I've been and what I've seen. They may not mean much to most people (except my wife) but they say something to me.

Second, maybe photography (for me) is not entirely about expression. Maybe it's more about mastery -- like crossword puzzles or mountain climbing. It's a technical challenge. And contrary to what some say about putting down the camera and enjoying the moment, I think that photography actually enhances my experience of the present because it forces me to look a lot more closely at the scene to find the beauty and interest in it.

Thus is about successfully capturing and remembering what I've done & seen.
02-15-2018, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good question: I ask myself that same question all the time. There are a lot of great responses too, many of which I strongly identify (although I confess I haven't read them all yet.)

I share a small percent of my photos with family & friends and make decent ones publicly available on SmugMug, the link to which I share with people who might be interested. And of course there's posing them in appropriate threads here at PF. Fundamentally, I guess it's a way of savoring sights and indulging my aesthetic side.

There is one aspect of my photography which I think may have some impact though and that's when I shoot communal events and make the photos available to the participants. I've done shot several community activities and I think it has value in terms of community-building. Also it gives me license to do my very favorite kind of photography: people being people.

In the same vein, I shot most of my daughter middle and high school games and shared the photos with the coaches and parents. I think (certainly hope) that may have had a very positive effect (I only posted photos of the girls being competent* and I like to think that served as positive reinforcement.) These things can take a bit of work and discipline but that's ok (in small doses.)

* actually one coach requested that I make complete game shoots available for coaching purposes and I did (like, we were "in to win", right? ;~)
02-15-2018, 05:15 PM - 7 Likes   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

That's all for now.
Thanks again everyone!
Quality thread this, instead of all the negativity and shameful hysterics of the News and Rumours section. Genuinely moving to read the original post and responses, this is what PF can offer, wonderful opinions from wonderful members.

I love learning, JC, and give every style a go, and sign up for various workshops to push myself along. I love the collaborative nature of those, especially the portrait shoots. Having several good photographers beside you, a convenor, a model, a stylist, hair and makeup person, taking turns being each other's assistants and talking crap to each other in the downtime I find is great, for example. Being in a room with all that creative talent, something's wrong if some of it doesn't end up inhabiting your body too.

But looking through this thread, there are plenty of 'lone wolves' like Vivian Maier, shooting for no one else other than themselves, and I'm reminded of what the author of 'Eat, Love, Pray' wrote:

“I told the universe (and anyone who would listen) that I was committed to living a creative life not in order to save the world, not as an act of protest, not to become famous, not to gain entrance to the canon, not to challenge the system, not to show the bastards, not to prove to my family that I was worthy, not as a form of deep therapeutic emotional catharsis … but simply because I liked it.”

I guess if someone hits the equivalent of writers block, they can't expect to come out of it until they do something different. That's where giving yourself a constraint for the next month - one focal length, black and white, subjects that must have a triangle in them, replicating a Martin Schoeller lighting setup - whatever ... can drag the mind out of set routines which just yield the same old results again and again. The mini-challenges on this forum would seem to serve this purpose really well.

Last edited by clackers; 02-15-2018 at 05:33 PM.
02-15-2018, 05:34 PM - 3 Likes   #60

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
...But looking through this thread, there are plenty of 'lone wolves' like Vivian Maier, shooting for no one else other than themselves, and I'm reminded of what the author of 'Eat, Love, Pray' wrote:

“I told the universe (and anyone who would listen) that I was committed to living a creative life not in order to save the world, not as an act of protest, not to become famous, not to gain entrance to the canon, not to challenge the system, not to show the bastards, not to prove to my family that I was worthy, not as a form of deep therapeutic emotional catharsis … but simply because I liked it.”
This is wonderful, I love it. Thanks for sharing it.

So who am I communicating with? I guess myself. I do it because I like the challenge and I love to learn. When I get it right it feels good, when I don't then it's a learning opportunity.

My health leaves much to be desired and more often than I would like, the challenge for me is just being able to get up and out of bed. While there is a lot I can do (and have done) in my pjs, there isn't much I can do from my bed. Sometimes the chance to go and shoot is enough of a drive to get me moving and some days that can be worth more than a great image. So while I might not be considering who I am communicating with I'm certainly aware of the impact photography has on my mental and physical wellbeing.