Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are You Guy's Borrowing Funds....

from one hobby to finance another or do each get equal love? I plan on getting the K-1 II after I finish third road bike build(major $$$'s)and still have to tweak the other two to my liking.

02-11-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #2

That's an interesting question. For me, there's a hobby budget. My camera, Mrs. Rookie has her crocheting, and the kids have their interests, and our garden. So really, it's kind of rare that I'll need a lens at the same time Mrs. Rookie needs a sewing machine and the kids need ___ and the garden needs a new tiller. Part of why that works is that none of us really get hobby gear just for the sake of getting it. We have what we need for now. As we individually need something, we can usually afford it this way. That's how we balance hobby funding. But I fully expect everyone else's mileage to vary wildly.
02-11-2018, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just sold a flute to pay for my camera repair. Trouble is if I need anything else I have nothing left to sell, unless it is something I really want in which case I can spare a kidney.
02-11-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a photography budget, plus anything that I sell off I keep towards the next lens/body/accessory...

02-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I decided it was cheaper to return to shooting film than to invest in a full frame camera.
02-11-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I just sold a flute to pay for my camera repair. Trouble is if I need anything else I have nothing left to sell, unless it is something I really want in which case I can spare a kidney.
I would never sell an organ to fund a hobby. You may need that kidney for a relative or loved one. When I was in Egypt, I was told people came from poorer African countries just to sell spare body parts to send money home. First world comedy, third world tragedy.

But coming off my horse now, I can say some hobbies (like car repair or maintenance) are not money pits, but rather save me hundreds of dollars a year. And when I spend on photography, if it isnʻt a business expense, I consider it ʻprofessional developmentʻ as a photography teacher.

Yes, I do have a few true hobbies like collecting Matchbox cars, but even that I see as a mini-investment. Even with inflation, the value of miniature toy cars (and even more so, the box) has gone a bit crazy. 25 cent cars from the 60ʻs are now worth $50+.
02-11-2018, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I would never sell an organ to fund a hobby. You may need that kidney for a relative or loved one. When I was in Egypt, I was told people came from poorer African countries just to sell spare body parts to send money home. First world comedy, third world tragedy.

But coming off my horse now, I can say some hobbies (like car repair or maintenance) are not money pits, but rather save me hundreds of dollars a year. And when I spend on photography, if it isnʻt a business expense, I consider it ʻprofessional developmentʻ as a photography teacher.

Yes, I do have a few true hobbies like collecting Matchbox cars, but even that I see as a mini-investment. Even with inflation, the value of miniature toy cars (and even more so, the box) has gone a bit crazy. 25 cent cars from the 60ʻs are now worth $50+.
OT:

You chose matchbox over Hotwheels? Shocking!!!

02-11-2018, 03:37 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
from one hobby to finance another or do each get equal love? I plan on getting the K-1 II after I finish third road bike build(major $$$'s)and still have to tweak the other two to my liking.
There is of course a connection between bikes and cameras.

The correct number to own is N+1, where N is the number you currently have.
02-11-2018, 03:42 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I realized it was far less expensive to get weight off the rider than off the bike it freed up a lot more resources for cameras... 🙂

-Eric
02-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OT:
You chose matchbox over Hotwheels? Shocking!!!
OT: Started as a kid in 1965: Hotwheels didnʻt exist until ʻ68. I preferred MB because they were all pretty much 1:64 scale of actual vehicles. When HW came out, they were mostly fantasy rods. Now, they are both owned by Mattel and so my taste is leaning more toward Tomica or Maistro 1:64.

You chose Hot Wheels over Matchbox? Sacrilege!!! Of course by the ʻ80s, Hot Wheels was IT and MB was for dorks. Sort of the same vibe why I havenʻt forgotten Pentax.
02-11-2018, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I divorced her, and suddenly there was money for hobbies and bills. Odd how that worked....
02-11-2018, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There is of course a connection between bikes and cameras.

The correct number to own is N+1, where N is the number you currently have.
Sez "The Enabler"!

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2018 at 15:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
When I realized it was far less expensive to get weight off the rider than off the bike it freed up a lot more resources for cameras... 🙂

-Eric
Working on that too.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2018 at 15:58 ----------

OT: Started as a kid in 1965: Hotwheels didnʻt exist until ʻ68. I preferred MB because they were all pretty much 1:64 scale of actual vehicles. When HW came out, they were mostly fantasy rods. Now, they are both owned by Mattel and so my taste is leaning more toward Tomica or Maistro 1:64.

You chose Hot Wheels over Matchbox? Sacrilege!!! Of course by the ʻ80s, Hot Wheels was IT and MB was for dorks. Sort of the same vibe why I havenʻt forgotten Pentax.
Haven't owned one since '73.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2018 at 16:21 ----------

Haven't owned one since '73.
02-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Getting towards the end of my working life now. I've been very frugal throughout, so now I can afford a hobby, even photography.
02-11-2018, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m not certain borrowing funds from is the right idea. All my life I’ve collected hobby gear over and above what I use day-to-day. The pursuit is the fun (and eBay is easier than hobby shops and newsletters).

I started trading cameras and lenses on eBay in 1999. Since about 2007 all the good stuff has already been put away or gotten crazy expensive. So - is this ‘borrowing’ funds from? Over the last five years I have:
  • Sold all my Fly Fishing rods and reels and my antique Hardy Perfects
  • Sold my brass HOn3 D&RG locomotives, finished rolling stock and models (+ associated signaling and detection) that had been boxed up since I got married.
  • Sold my extensive collection of Scouting patches and memorabilia
  • Sold my collection of Salmon Flies
  • Sold my knife collection
Borrowing funds? Hmmmm. I guess you could look at it that way. According to my records my Pentax gear doesn’t come close to what I received for the railroad stuff. Everything else is part of our retirement fund. (Thankfully I don’t do guitars).

My wife collects W. Britain Toy Soldiers and model figures. That’s pretty extreme. Her hobby of rescuing good furniture from Estate Sales doesn’t count. We either use it or give it to our children.

AFA Matchbox vs. Hot Wheels, my brother and I did Corgi Diecast vehicles. He has that collection.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-11-2018 at 06:15 PM.
02-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

No borrowing of funds, less worrying...

I cycle too, but I keep my bikes to a reasonable budget believing that the law of diminishing returns cuts in after the mid priced or low-mid priced stuff.

My hobbies rotate in emphasis every few years, so I don't have a clash in the spending on them.