Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To pack camera and 1,5year old daily stuff in one bag / backpack?

Hi guys,
I plan to go on a two week trip to Croatia with my wife and 1,5 year old son.
I have a concern on how to pack a camera and stuff for a everyday trip around the city/beach etc..

This is first time we will be going on this kind of a trip, and I have no idea how to pack everything and still be able to move.

We for sure need dippers and some cosmetics for kid, probably some blanket and some food + the camera.
I plan to take:
* K-70
* charger + spare battery + some accessories + peakdesign sling
* sigma 17-50 + pentax plm 55-300
or
* pentax 18-135 alone

I have only a small slingbag, this one: caden bag

Anyone got experience in traveling like this? I think it might be a little tiring to hold camera bag and kid back all the time so i was wandering if i can put all of the things into some one bag? backpack?

We plan to:
  • move quite a lot around the city
  • spend some time on a beach playing on the sand (or rocks, as there is not much sand in croatia)
  • go to a restaurant
  • visit some touristic places
  • drive around in a car to see some landscapes and places

Last edited by gelokrol; 02-13-2018 at 10:56 AM.
02-13-2018, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't assist, I'm afraid, but I just wanted to say that I *love* the title of this post At the very least, I'd suggest you'll want padded compartments for both your camera and son
02-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m using a Peak Design Everyday messenger for basically the same purposes and it works great.

The Everyday Messenger Bag | Peak Design

Bring the 18-135 and the rest is for the kid. it’s weather sealed, good IQ, relatively light, and no time spent changing lenses. Maybe bring a 2nd fast prime like a 35mm f2 or a 50 1.8 but the 18-135 will do most of what you need.

Last edited by skierd; 02-13-2018 at 12:20 PM.
02-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second the suggestion of the 18-135 as the only lens.

I would look to find a way to pack a holster style camera bag inside the larger bag (whatever form that takes) then use that as the padding to protect the camera when not out and about.

I would then get a clip like this:
Peak Design Capture Pro Kit at REI

To put either on a strap or belt.

Or... I would get a much smaller camera and a small belt pouch. The larger camera may just get in the way with that young of a child on a trip like this. When I took my two teenagers, my wife, and my father in law and mentally disabled brother in law on a trip to England and France I took a Panasonic LX-7 only. It was the right choice for that trip, but previous trips had me taking a dslr when it was just me and my wife. The degree of complexity of international travel and available space and weight are a big driver in my recommendation.

02-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the previous version of the Monfrotto backpack: Manfrotto Advanced Active Backpack II MB MA-BP-A2 B&H Photo

Camera equipment in the bottom and kid stuff in the top with a laptop compartment accessible from the inside. Separate access to bottom camera compartment from the outside is handy. I never carried a laptop, but it does fit one or more folders (9.25in x 11.75in) for paperwork nicely. Also, useful for kid's events when not carrying a lot of camera equipment.

I would consider the 18-135 as the only lens as well. Depending on the destination and traveling companions, I often only take a Panasonic LX-7 (or an Olympus TG-4 depending on weather) instead of a dslr and/or multiple lenses.
02-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
To pack camera and 1,5year old in one bag / backpack?
Me, I'd leave my wife and 1.5 year old son at home... then you could take all the camera kit.

Good luck we that... let us know how you get on.
02-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Find the smallest camera case you can to take necessities then put that case in somthing like a material aldi's bag so it looks like groceries that way thieft will hopefully be avoided and you have easy access on the move for accessing your camera case as everything will be in a bag.
02-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been trying to solve this problem over the past 11 years and 3 kids. I think I found a perfect bag, but it's not cheap. Mindshift gear rotation 180. rotation180 Professional: Outdoor Photography Backpacks | MindShift Gear

I'd love to have one of those...

02-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Over one shoulder sling bag is a good choice, you can sling it it front and rest the child on it a bit when walking around.

You will be too busy to swap lenses, The 18-135mm is a great walk around lens, and WR means you do not have to worry about sand, water, or other spills.

Enjoy the trip, and the time with your family. Kids grow up and time flies, take as many pictures as possible, do not worry about perfect shots.
02-13-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Renamed from: To pack camera and 1,5year old in one bag / backpack?
Renamed to: To pack camera and 1,5year old daily stuff in one bag / backpack?

@BigMackCam I laughted so hard I actually had to explain myself to co-workers This was a simple typo, as I was crating this topic already at work

@skierd I would love that!! but it is very expensive in Poland, it costs over 30% of average monthly income in Poland. My wife would kill me.. than probably resurrect me and kill me again..

@UncleVanya I do not have a smaller camera at this moment. I have a iphone 7 to use if I do not have anything other with me, but I would like to keep using the K-70 as much as I can, as difference in quality is huge I will consider using some simple small material cover for camera and throwing it in the kid bag.

@jbrill I will read about this backpack. Looks interesting.

@Kerrowdown unfortunately this is impossible as this trip was my wife idea :P

@Kombivan I guess it is similar idea to the one of @UncleVanya, I have a shoulder bag for kids things that is just another generic kid bag, so I might put camera in there is some light and thin cover

@IgorZ this looks interesting but it is almost two peak designs… way out of my league…

Thanks all for your ideas, I have to do some more reading and borrow a 18-135 from a friend to test it a little as I do not own one (yet)

Trip is yet to come in July, but I will update this topic after the trip so if anyone has same problem, there will be some feedback after testing my choice

Thanks a lot again
02-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I love the Peak Designs, any shoulder bag with easy access and good adjustable compartments to separate the camera from the kid's stuff should work. The Sigma you have is a fine lens, if you would prefer to buy the bag vs buying a lens.

If you are buying a new lens, I would consider both the 18-135 and the 16-85. Depending on where you're going in Croatia, the ability to go to really wide to 16mm may be more important than the ability to reach out to 135mm. Another option: I like to take my HD DA 20-40mm Limited because it's overall size and weight make it easier to travel with, plus I prefer the limited's rendering.

I'll add to the other's thoughts on going even smaller however, as I almost exclusively travel with my Olympus XA pocket camera or Olympus 35 RD fixed lens rangefinder. Since they're film cameras, its one less device to worry about charging and I don't spend my time worrying about lenses or chimping shots. I really don't want the bulk of a DSLR most of the time and it's not what I need for remembering a trip. For digital, I'm currently stuck between getting a used Fuji X100 or a new Ricoh GR but I may just stick with 35mm film. We also have an Olympus TG4, great camera for beaches and whatnot. I love my iPhone for vacation photos too, very much keeps it simple since I always have it anyway.
02-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look for a camera insert if you don't want to find a pouch. The reason I suggest a holster/pouch is that you can use it inside the kids bag AND you can wear it on your neck/belt/etc for easy access if you like that option.

Slinger Holster Camera Case - for Digital SLR's with lens, Black-Large

A clip can provide instant access but it can be a bit of a liability with no padding and open view to any theft minded folks.

As for a smaller camera - the cost of the 18-135 would cover an older one. I can't stress enough how useful it is to have a small camera with a big trip and hands full with little one's.
02-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #13

This could work for you:
Vanguard Reno 48 DSLR Backpack (Blue) RENO 48BL B&H Photo Video

It's $40, has a space for the camera and two lenses at the bottom and around 15 L of space in the top compartment + two side pockets for bottles / flash.
02-13-2018, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
I would minimize my photography gear to the camera and the 18-135mm lens. Most of what you will see will work with that lens. You don't want to be changing lenses and keeping an eye on your child and pickpockets all at the same time. I'd be inclined to pad out the camera and use a bag that looks as much like a bag for kid's necessities as possible. No one looks to steal a diaper bag the same way as a camera bag. I would also try and carry as little as possible in general. Look at what you need to keep your little one happy and not worry too much about things you can buy in Croatia (as long as the prices are similar). No sense in carrying what can be bought if needed.

And don't worry - have a great time .