Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I am so proud of my wife. She has gone from 50% paralyzed to her current terrific state in a little over two years.
Congratulation - BIG achievement!

02-21-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1 congrats to your wife for the recovery

2 congrats to yourself and family for assisting her

3 have you tried to research locations and venues you plan on visiting to see how they are set up to accommodate visitors with disabilities

Here is a start

londan visits disabiity - Bing

Enjoy your visit, consider making photography a lesser priority

I would definitely bring some sort of camera " back up " if you can handle the weight

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-21-2018 at 04:59 AM.
02-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My own London trips confirm that research is a good idea, many venues have poor access to someone in a wheelchair. Quite a number of places have impossible to access via chair bathrooms etc. I find myself in Europe thinking about the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and the profoundly different reality there. (Edit: no I'm not disabled, but for several years my father was confined to a chair due to bad hips.)
02-21-2018, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My own London trips confirm that research is a good idea, many venues have poor access to someone in a wheelchair. Quite a number of places have impossible to access via chair bathrooms etc. I find myself in Europe thinking about the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and the profoundly different reality there. (Edit: no I'm not disabled, but for several years my father was confined to a chair due to bad hips.)
You think Europe is bad,you ought to try travelling in Asia.The pavements(sidewalks) there are often challenging even for the able bodied!

02-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Nice pictures,but why would you not want to crop out the speck on your sensor or otherwise deal with it in PP before displaying them?

Two minutes with Snapseed
Thanks for your kind words! Partly because it was getting late and I was in a hurry, partly because I was only displaying them to make the point that I find a longer lens useful on holiday, and why. But I've fixed them now...

On that trip I took 148 pics with the 55-300, 293 with the 18-55, and 344 with the 12-24, and on the Q-S1 13 with the 8.5mm (equivalent of 27mm on APS-C), 121 with the 5-15 (=16-47) and 43 with the 15-45 (=47-139). That's just me - if it were a straight choice between taking a long lens and a fisheye, the latter wouldn't get a look-in. But a decent wide-angle is pretty much a requirement for NY and the Kennedy Space Center, hence getting the 12-24 more or less specifically for that trip.

Cheers

Jonathan
02-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
PDL
Pentaxian

--snip

Only 6,000 images? That’s all? Why didn’t you spend at least a little time to take some photos?

What did you take photos of with your 50-135? Close-ups at ceremonies? Architectural details? Landmarks at a distance?

--snip
I hope you are joking.

Yes, only a little over 6K images. Why? because when we rented a car (France and Great Britton) I drove. Second, and most importantly, I was on vacation - not on assignment for someone else. I refuse to "remember" what was there to experience as if I were only looking at these places through a viewfinder. There were times when I left the camera in the room while I ENJOYED going out and about with my wife and seeing things and places I had wanted to see for a long time. I have never set a goal or judged the success of a vacation in terms of the number of images I took. I suggest that you really take some time out from your obsession with image counts and just be there with your wife. There is more to being together than just numbers of frames. Pray and spray is a quick route to photography Hades. If the total number of images taken for one "trip/assignment" is what you measure success by, then National Geographic photographers are the "best" - ya know 10K to 50K for one job. If you count just "keepers/published" ratios, then National Geographic photographers are the worst - 10K to 50K images with at most 12 published in the magazine for one story. Bragging about numbers does not impress me at all.

As for DA* 50-135mm use, building details, clock details (Rathaus-Glockenspiel Munich, Prague astronomical clock), Stonehenge - with Druids and Highland games at Loch Lomond. The majority of images I took were with the DA* 16-50mm.

The cities we were in: Munich, Ljubljana, Budapest, Vienna, Brno, Prague, Crakow, Sarlat-la-Canéda, Bayeux (and several villages we stopped off in while in France), Bath, The Cotswold's, Oxford, York, Knaresborough, Kircudbright, Inverary, Oban and finally Edinburgh. Two months of good times only a few hours of experiencing "issues" that are nothing compared to the memories that the images help keep alive.

We carried four bags, we started out with three, but we had to buy a little bag to keep our main bag from being so full we had to sit on it to close it, even when we started out. We traveled mostly by train from city to city using subways, trams and buses for intercity transportation. We used taxi's a few times and flew from Poland to France where we rented a cars to get to the villages. We took the ferry to England and rented a car for the English/Scottish trip. We are going to London/York/Edinburgh at the end of next summer and we will be using the train. No cars.

I hope you have a nice trip, but really, go on your trip to enjoy the trip and your wife's company. Photography is way down on the list of priorities.
02-23-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I hope you are joking.
The emoticon gave that away for me.
It seems to me that the OP's priorities are spot on, so your rant is misplaced.

02-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's an idea of how the tiny sensor of the Panasonic did in some darker spaces.

Notre Dame / St. Chapelle / Roman Ruins | Flickr

Bear in mind that while the lens is fast the sensor isn't. So imagine taking a shot that was f/2.3 at ISO 200 and switching it to f/4.6 @ ISO 400... or higher. These are also the SOOC jpgs. The RAW's provided more recovery of shadows and better detail. Still this is a small sensor camera with limitations. The idea is to show the kind of EV that you may be working with.
Those are great shots. You’ve eliminated my worry about having an F2.8 as my fastest lens. I will be at those locations that you visited.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 09:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
Ah, OK, your original post didn't mention a weight limit...

Obviously only you can judge, in the end; looks like the 55-300 weighs in the same as the 70+100WR, giving you more range and less lens changing at the cost of slower glass and no longer WR or macro. If the gorillapod (whatever its weight!) is in your limit then it may mitigate the impact of slower glass, or you might think it better to take a faster lens and rely on SR.

Here are some images I used the long lens for, while on trips (as opposed to going out solely to take photos); hence limited time, family with me, not likely to be able to go back and try again. Yes, I was gutted to notice the bit of fluff on the sensor for the NY pix... [Now edited to keep timb64 happy ]

See Flickr album here

Cheers

Jonathan
Those are good images. I am jealous.

The 100wr, 55-300, and the 50-135 are all too heavy. The 70 might be the only tele I can take.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 10:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would take the DA10-17 and DA*16-50. Leave the Sigma behind as it is bigger, heavier, and overlaps too much.

Definitely take a fast prime if you have one. I have found the FA31 and DA*55 to be very useful in dark places.

I think you'll really miss something longer. If you you have a smallish, lightish telezoom, make space for it. I found the DA55-300 indispensable on my recent UK and northern Italian trips.

Take the better tripod if you can manage it.

Some images which might resonate:

DA10-17 at Stonehenge

....and in Bath:

DA*55 in Venice

DA10-17 from the top of the campanile in St Mark's square

and in the Palazzo Ducale

in Rome with the DA10-17

and the FA31

Thank you for those pictures. They are wonderful! Those are just where I will be.

This is my non gorilla pod tripod:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/607842-REG/Giottos_MG_8240B_MG_8240B_...981&

It is very sturdy, however it is only steady if I hang a weight or not extend the bottom sections.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 10:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tmoses Quote
1) your widest zoom
2) your fastest normal range
3) 70-200 range

monopod, add a ballhead on top if you dont have one
a small but sturdy travel tripod like --- Befree Travel Tripod Collection | Manfrotto US

a Hoya Moose Peterson Warming Circular Polarizer Filter, for your biggest lens, just hold it in front of all your lenses
A blackrapid camera strap (so comfortable)
a sling style camera bag so you don't have to lay it down, like the Lowepro fastpack 250 (this video shows the sling in front feature - Lowepro Fastpack 150AW Camera Bag - YouTube)
Thanks for the reference on the befree tripod. It has the flip-lock legs as opposed to the twist-lock on my giottos. I dislike those twist-locks on the giottos. Does the head come off of it? I want to use my own.
02-23-2018, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Congratulation - BIG achievement!
She showed the doctors!

Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 11:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
1 congrats to your wife for the recovery

2 congrats to yourself and family for assisting her

3 have you tried to research locations and venues you plan on visiting to see how they are set up to accommodate visitors with disabilities

Here is a start

londan visits disabiity - Bing

Enjoy your visit, consider making photography a lesser priority

I would definitely bring some sort of camera " back up " if you can handle the weight
Thank you!

She has worked so hard. She has learned to walk, talk, swallow, eat, and a dozen smaller things all over again. I am so proud of her. Much of our research has centered on her comfort. It is in everything I check for her comfort.

Photography is priority #3 on my list.

I will bring a backpack that stays in the vehicle. It will have my tripod and my k5 as a backup to my k3 in the pack.

I appreciate the link.
02-24-2018, 12:58 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Luckily my wife has learned to walk again, so a wheelchair is not a concern. She just tires easily. My major concerns revolve around uneven footing that can affect her balance, her energy levels (it takes a lot of energy for her to walk), and stairs (even more so with uneven ones). I’ll have a firm grasp on her belt on stairs.

Luckily, we have planned 10 or 12 off days to rest or to make up for days that we have to drop out from our itinerary.

The planning and research is harder than I thought it would be. You are so right about that.

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 12:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I hope you are joking.

Yes, only a little over 6K images. Why? because when we rented a car (France and Great Britton) I drove. Second, and most importantly, I was on vacation - not on assignment for someone else. I refuse to "remember" what was there to experience as if I were only looking at these places through a viewfinder. There were times when I left the camera in the room while I ENJOYED going out and about with my wife and seeing things and places I had wanted to see for a long time. I have never set a goal or judged the success of a vacation in terms of the number of images I took. I suggest that you really take some time out from your obsession with image counts and just be there with your wife. There is more to being together than just numbers of frames. Pray and spray is a quick route to photography Hades. If the total number of images taken for one "trip/assignment" is what you measure success by, then National Geographic photographers are the "best" - ya know 10K to 50K for one job. If you count just "keepers/published" ratios, then National Geographic photographers are the worst - 10K to 50K images with at most 12 published in the magazine for one story. Bragging about numbers does not impress me at all.

As for DA* 50-135mm use, building details, clock details (Rathaus-Glockenspiel Munich, Prague astronomical clock), Stonehenge - with Druids and Highland games at Loch Lomond. The majority of images I took were with the DA* 16-50mm.

The cities we were in: Munich, Ljubljana, Budapest, Vienna, Brno, Prague, Crakow, Sarlat-la-Canéda, Bayeux (and several villages we stopped off in while in France), Bath, The Cotswold's, Oxford, York, Knaresborough, Kircudbright, Inverary, Oban and finally Edinburgh. Two months of good times only a few hours of experiencing "issues" that are nothing compared to the memories that the images help keep alive.

We carried four bags, we started out with three, but we had to buy a little bag to keep our main bag from being so full we had to sit on it to close it, even when we started out. We traveled mostly by train from city to city using subways, trams and buses for intercity transportation. We used taxi's a few times and flew from Poland to France where we rented a cars to get to the villages. We took the ferry to England and rented a car for the English/Scottish trip. We are going to London/York/Edinburgh at the end of next summer and we will be using the train. No cars.

I hope you have a nice trip, but really, go on your trip to enjoy the trip and your wife's company. Photography is way down on the list of priorities.
Please, don’t be insulted. The comment was offered in jest. That is why I put the “winky” face in the post. No insult was intended. You seemed proud of the 6000 number. That’s a good amount to cull from and post-process on rainy and off days.

I wish I could take a long lens or tele zoom with me. But that would be too much weight. My longest might be my 70 limited or a tele extender (Tamron 1.4x) on my 16-50. Which do you think would be best for the tattoo festival and architectural details?
02-24-2018, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My longest might be my 70 limited or a tele extender (Tamron 1.4x) on my 16-50. Which do you think would be best for the tattoo festival and architectural details?
I would definitely opt for the DA70 limited. The faster aperture will be handy, and the IQ will be better.
It looks perfect. Very similar to my Sirui T-025X, which has no trouble holding my DFA15-30 steady on the K-1
02-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

--snip

Please, don’t be insulted. The comment was offered in jest. That is why I put the “winky” face in the post. No insult was intended. You seemed proud of the 6000 number. That’s a good amount to cull from and post-process on rainy and off days.

I wish I could take a long lens or tele zoom with me. But that would be too much weight. My longest might be my 70 limited or a tele extender (Tamron 1.4x) on my 16-50. Which do you think would be best for the tattoo festival and architectural details?
Sorry, I don't really speak iPhone/AOL all that well. My reference to the number of pictures was not clear on my part, meaning that even with a low day of six images (first day) to a day with three hundred and thirty two images (Highland Games i.e. guys throwing balls, rocks on a stick, small poles etc. in the rain), it does add up.

As for your lens choice, take what you can carry around for long periods. My bag did seem to get heavier as we walked around, good days and not so good days. I did take quite a few sequential images to create panoramas, so remembering that trick can save you a little time and effort if your perfect lens is at home. Traveling with zooms is the way to go from my perspective. I have primes, but I do try to frame the image as needed rather than shoot the stop limits on the lenses. Having the ability to shoot from 16mm - 135mm at f/2.8 if necessary is a lot easier to do than take along the primes and be in the situation where you are limited to that one or two points of view. I did take my 8mm fisheye along and I did use it when inside buildings when the 16mm just could not cut the field of view I wanted. I eve made a few panorama images with the fisheye. Technique is the key, don't be afraid of high ISO and use SR and leaning on something as necessary.

As I said, have a good time but, remember that the wife and doing this together is the important part. Photography is secondary and you will end up with more pictures than you expect. Don't worry about editing in the field, just get the images off the card and onto a hard drive - or two. One thing that will happen, is that when you get home and are looking through the images, you will wonder - When we were here/there; why didn't I take a few more of this/that/theotherthing. Happens too us all.
02-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are great shots. You’ve eliminated my worry about having an F2.8 as my fastest lens. I will be at those locations that you visited.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 09:47 PM ----------

Those are good images. I am jealous.

The 100wr, 55-300, and the 50-135 are all too heavy. The 70 might be the only tele I can take.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 10:05 PM ----------

Thank you for those pictures. They are wonderful! Those are just where I will be.

This is my non gorilla pod tripod:
Giottos MG-8240B MG Classic Carbon Fiber & MG 8240B B&H

It is very sturdy, however it is only steady if I hang a weight or not extend the bottom sections.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 10:36 PM ----------

Thanks for the reference on the befree tripod. It has the flip-lock legs as opposed to the twist-lock on my giottos. I dislike those twist-locks on the giottos. Does the head come off of it? I want to use my own.
I don't remember, on my model (not at home right now). I don't remember if center column is standard size, then you could replace that with one from your current or buy one allowing interchangeable.
02-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The museums you speak of, are they the British Museum, Museum of London, British Library, Churchill war room? Those are on my list. We will be in Kensington our first for days.

Kensington also has the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum. All are good if they coincide with your interests, pick up brochures when you arrive for more detail and/or try their web sites.
02-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
The museums you speak of, are they the British Museum, Museum of London, British Library, Churchill war room? Those are on my list. We will be in Kensington our first for days.

Kensington also has the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum. All are good if they coincide with your interests, pick up brochures when you arrive for more detail and/or try their web sites.
Not curated, edited, or pp'd. JPG's SOOC from my LX-7 Panasonic. The raw files can be manipulated a bit more.
Churchill War Rooms | Flickr