Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #1
Marketplace Reseller

Any Newfoundland Pentaxians missing their camera?

Hey All, not sure if this is the ideal forum to post this however here it goes.

I came across this ad that appears suspicious, usually a camera would have at least a kit lens with it unless of course it was stolen with the 55-300 on it. I exchanged a few messages with the guy and he didn't seem to know what a kit lens was leading to more suspicion. Although Newfoundland does have Pentax photographers I'd suspect the number of Pentax photographers that don't know much about their gear is extremely few if any. The camera is a K100D BTW.

Pentax camera and lens | Cameras & Camcorders | Gander | Kijiji

I already checked with a Pentaxian I know in the region and he confirms its not his.

So just to recap, missing kit lens, not knowing what a kit lens is, hood mounted wrong and lack of details in the ad, region where Pentaxians may be few and those who are Pentaxians likely know what their gear is, especially if they're selling it. Also the person prefers to communicate through txts but that may just be personal preference.

02-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the photo, it seems like there is a hood for another Pentax lens sat inside the hood on the 55-300...
02-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Looking at the photo, it seems like there is a hood for another Pentax lens sat inside the hood on the 55-300...
Good catch, leads to more suspicion
02-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That strap looks brand new. It's not impossible that they bought it 12 years ago and forgot about the 18-55mm lens that's in the back of their closet, just behind where the k100d+55-300mm had been sitting for the past 11.5 years.

Nice of you to ask around in any case.

02-18-2018, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
That strap looks brand new. It's not impossible that they bought it 12 years ago and forgot about the 18-55mm lens that's in the back of their closet, just behind where the k100d+55-300mm had been sitting for the past 11.5 years.

Nice of you to ask around in any case.
I agree there there are reasons why it could be a completely legitimate ad. I hope it is, but this post is here just in case it isn't
02-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had a K-100D Super years ago and there's no mistaking a K-100D Series. Given the vintage of the the 6.1 MP camera - I'd bet someone gave this away after upgrading (or switching systems) or it was purchased used for a song. I suspect it may be a legitimate ad from someone who doesn't have a clue. Given the size of Grand Falls-Windsor with only 6,332 residential dwellings it would be downright foolhardy to unload hot merchandise on Kijiji.
02-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
I had a K-100D Super years ago and there's no mistaking a K-100D Series. Given the vintage of the the 6.1 MP camera - I'd bet someone gave this away after upgrading (or switching systems) or it was purchased used for a song. I suspect it may be a legitimate ad from someone who doesn't have a clue. Given the size of Grand Falls-Windsor with only 6,332 residential dwellings it would be downright foolhardy to unload hot merchandise on Kijiji.
I agree it would be foolhardy, unless of course it was lifted off a tourist or(and) held onto long enough that nobody is looking anymore. I do hopes its someone who just doesn't have a clue.

02-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote

I came across this ad that appears suspicious, usually a camera would have at least a kit lens with it unless of course it was stolen with the 55-300 on it. I exchanged a few messages with the guy and he didn't seem to know what a kit lens was leading to more suspicion. Although Newfoundland does have Pentax photographers I'd suspect the number of Pentax photographers that don't know much about their gear is extremely few if any. The camera is a K100D BTW.

So just to recap, missing kit lens, not knowing what a kit lens is, hood mounted wrong and lack of details in the ad, region where Pentaxians may be few and those who are Pentaxians likely know what their gear is, especially if they're selling it. Also the person prefers to communicate through txts but that may just be personal preference.
I'm not missing any equipment, so that eliminates one more person. pathdoc lives in central Newfoundland (I'm not exactly sure where), but this lens and body don't appear in his list of equipment he owns. .