Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
that ship has sailed and probably had a load of Canadian oil in the hold!
The good ship Brick and Mortar Camera Stores has definitely sailed from North American shores, but it is very unlikely it left with Canadian oil in the hold. I couldn't find current statistics, but I believe less than 5% of oil exports are by ship. Most of the petroleum products shipped out of Come By Chance and Vancouver are moving from a refinery to Canadian destinations. Now if you had said that the train had pulled out of the station, it could very well have been carrying Canadian crude oil to American refineries.

Does anyone know if Ricoh Canada still has a Pentax sales rep calling on retail stores? My wife bought a K-30 for me in 2012 with the assistance of Doug(?) Collins, but I don't know if he still represents the Pentax line.

03-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I couldn't find current statistics, but I believe less than 5% of oil exports are by ship. Most of the petroleum products shipped out of Come By Chance and Vancouver are moving from a refinery to Canadian destinations. Now if you had said that the train had pulled out of the station, it could very well have been carrying Canadian crude oil to American refineries.
The majority of crude carried on ships comes into Canada, imported from the Middle East, Mexico, and Venezuela not exported. The imported product combined product from the Grand Banks is either refined by Irving, Come by Chance or Velaro in Quebec City for domestic market and the majority exported to the US East Coast either by train or by ship. Having said that there is a crude carrier shuttling western crude from the end of the pipeline in Montreal to the refinery in Quebec City but that is considered "Domestic" trade. That was part of the big stink raised by Montreal over extending the T/C pipeline to the east coast.
03-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
The majority of crude carried on ships comes into Canada, imported from the Middle East, Mexico, and Venezuela not exported. The imported product combined product from the Grand Banks is either refined by Irving, Come by Chance or Velaro in Quebec City for domestic market and the majority exported to the US East Coast either by train or by ship. Having said that there is a crude carrier shuttling western crude from the end of the pipeline in Montreal to the refinery in Quebec City but that is considered "Domestic" trade. That was part of the big stink raised by Montreal over extending the T/C pipeline to the east coast.
Source:- Markets and Transportation - Canada's Oil Sands
QuoteQuote:
Oil tankers have been moving safely and regularly along Canada’s West Coast since the 1930s. Each year, approximately 580 million barrels of oil are safely transported along Canada’s East and West coasts via tanker. Access to tidewater gives Canadian crude oil access to U.S. and overseas markets.
I have worked both in the "Tar Sands" and @ Irving in NB our problems being Canadian is we have shutdown or sold off our refineries to foreign ownership! All the refineries in Ontario, I believe are foreign owned!
03-08-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just talked with the photo department manager of the local London Drugs here. He said there was no chain-wide decision to stop stocking Pentax brand cameras in-store. Some stores have enough sales to keep in stock, many do not. He said that he heard that Ricoh will be re-branding the Pentax name. Pretty sure this is to do with the recent retrenching of the Pentax name. He also said that there is another Pentax camera coming out - likely the K1 II. The overall impression is that Ricoh/Pentax Canada has not been communicating with its distributors as much as it used to.

03-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
He said that he heard that Ricoh will be re-branding the Pentax name. Pretty sure this is to do with the recent retrenching of the Pentax name.
Can you please explain what you mean?
03-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This years CP+ exhibit had a big PENTAX banner rather than RICOH. Seems there is a move afoot to bring back the Pentax name for the former Ricoh camera brands.
05-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone heard any rumors about Henry's ebay site? It has been empty for a week now. Have they pulled out of ebay?