Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canadian Pentax Retail Marketplace

As many Canadian Pentax Camera owners may already know or will quickly find out when they make their next Pentax purchase. The availability of new and current Pentax cameras, lenses & accessories along with many third party K-Mount lenses and accessories available for "Off the Shelf" retail purchase has all but dried up.
It seems Henry's probably Canada's largest Photo Supply retailer along with many regional Photo Equipment Retailers, once their current stock of Pentax Cameras & Lenses are sold they will no longer stock Pentax Cameras & Lenses. Pentax Equipment can still be purchased through these retailers but for most only as a "Special Order" with return policies that range from full or partial refunds to "You ordered it You bought it". For me personally this policy has caused and will cause me to have second thoughts or having a major leap of faith in ordering something without not being able to see and feel how, especially a lens will perform with current gear

This issue has been made all the more frustrating as Emails to Ricoh Canada from Pentax customers/users have gone unanswered and may of the same retailers stock and actively promote Ricoh Theta Cameras.

I am inviting all Canadian Pentax users and others that are members of this forum to weigh in on this issue either on this thread and a similar thread in the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/68-canadian-pentaxians/6936-new-g...ada.html?pp=15. Hopefully if enough pressure is exerted on Ricoh Canada and or Ricoh North America, the adopted supply management policy that prompted/forced Canadian retailers to stop stocking the Pentax Brand will be reversed, and the Pentax name will be more than a banner on the face of a shelf with Canon and Nikon cameras & lenses on it in the Canadian Retail Marketplace

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 02-22-2018 at 07:49 AM.
02-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Downtown Camera in Toronto has limited stock, and has a few demo lenses and bodies so you can see what you're buying. Staff there have been excellent.
Burlington Camera continues to have a good selection of used Pentax gear, and a few new items in stock, however its not a focus for them.
02-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Downtown Camera in Toronto has limited stock, and has a few demo lenses and bodies so you can see what you're buying. Staff there have been excellent.
Burlington Camera continues to have a good selection of used Pentax gear, and a few new items in stock, however its not a focus for them.
First off I see you are new member. Welcome to the forum from the East Coast (Halifax to be exact)

In major metro areas like Toronto it may continue to be possible to find a retailer that will stock Pentax Equipment but outside of that forget it!
Having said that Atlantic Photo Supply here in Halifax you will if you happen to go in there at the right time occasionally find some Pentax equipment. They also have staff that are both familiar and loyal to the brand, and a decent return policy on special orders which also helps.
02-20-2018, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brand experience is critical for brand engagement. Neuroscience research tell us that seeing and touching an item creates not only 70% higher brand recall but a higher motivational response to act. I shoot with a bag of 5 Limited’s and a D FA 100 macro WR. I usually buy at least one $600+ Pentax item a year but this has not been impulse buying, just deliberately building my arsenal. On that note I impulsively dropped $500+ at Henry’s in Halifax on a Sekonic Flash Meter and a camera backpack last fall. Earlier in the year I impulsively purchased my fourth Cactus RF60 and two Lastolite soft boxes. In each case I purchased items I had not planned on buying but justified after handling. I could have easily spent the cash from these impulse purchases on Pentax gear but sadly there was none to hold.

There are a number of lenses that interest me that I would most likely buy if I could touch and try them. These include; DA* 60-250, DA* 300, DA 10-17 Fish Eye, HD DA 16-85, DA 12-24. Also, My K-5II while a reliable workhorse, could use a higher resolution stable mate. I’ve been on the fence between K-3II and KP but feel no compulsion to act because I can’t handle either and that complicates the decision.

At the very least there should be a Travelling Pentax Roadshow in each provincial capital at least twice a year. The opportunity to try and buy. I could see it doing some serious damage to my wallet. When I held a K-100D Super - I bought it. When I held the K-5II I bought it. Nothing to hold = nothing to buy.

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 02-20-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added
02-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
The availability of new and current Pentax cameras, lenses & accessories along with many third party K-Mount lenses and accessories available for "Off the Shelf" retail purchase has all but dried up.
I think it has been a long time since Pentax equipment was available to retailers on a guaranteed turnover basis, where they could return inventory in the new year without a penalty. The brick and mortar camera shops have a cash flow problem; they have to pay up front for their main product lines and inventory turnover has been getting slower for some time now. Unless the distributor runs a special to get retailers to stock new models, once a slow moving item gets sold it doesn't get reordered. Bodies get replaced more frequently than lenses, there are only a few sku's per manufacturer to keep in stock and you only need one lens to demonstrate a body. New lenses come out less frequently (for all the complaining about the Pentax lineup, relatively speaking they are getting just as many, if not more updates than Canon and Nikon) and they are not exactly impulse purchases. When retailers see in-stock lenses celebrating birthdays, they also see money spent on an asset that can only be liquidated at small margins. It's a vicious cycle, buyers get frustrated when they can't buy that special lens they have been contemplating for several months from a local retailer without waiting for the retailer's special orders to come in, so why not buy online for a better price if you are going to have to wait for it, anyway?

Last edited by RGlasel; 02-20-2018 at 05:42 PM.
02-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it is the age old problem, of buyers visiting brick and mortar stores to handle and try out equipment, only to purchase from the least expensive, (lets be honest, . . . CHEAPEST!) online source. I think the manufacturer, (i.e. Ricoh Pentax) should support retailers who stock product, particularly demo equipment. However, . .

I'm sure margins complicate the picture. (pardon the pun. ) A retailer will promote a product where they can realize a greater margin, (profit). You can be sure the big boys (i.e. Canicon) are wheeling and dealing (volume discounts?) with the larger retailers such as Henry's. It is a fact of retail business. I very much doubt Ricoh Pentax (Canada) have the budget to play that game.

Lastly, Ricoh Pentax may not care where their equipment is purchased. As far as they are concerned, it may not make any difference whether equipment is sold on Amazon Canada, or a brick and mortar store. As regional distributor (i.e. Canada), I suspect they realize the same margin regardless of where the equipment is sold. They may get a little pissed at grey market sales, but they get even with no warranty coverage. Plus the low Cdn dollar makes U.S. purchases less attractive.

Just my 2 cents worth.
02-21-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As many Canadian Pentax Camera owners may already know or will quickly find out when they make their next Pentax purchase. The availability of new and current Pentax cameras, lenses & accessories along with many third party K-Mount lenses and accessories available for "Off the Shelf" retail purchase has all but dried up.
It seems Henry's probably Canada's largest Photo Supply retailer along with many regional Photo Equipment Retailers, once their current stock of Pentax Cameras & Lenses are sold they will no longer stock Pentax Cameras & Lenses. Pentax Equipment can still be purchased through these retailers but for most only as a "Special Order" with return policies that range from full or partial refunds to "You ordered it You bought it". For me personally this policy has caused and will cause me to have second thoughts or having a major leap of faith in ordering something without not being able to see and feel how, especially a lens will perform with current gear

This issue has been made all the more frustrating as Emails to Ricoh Canada from Pentax customers/users have gone unanswered and may of the same retailers stock and actively promote Ricoh Theta Cameras.

I am inviting all Canadian Pentax users and others that are members of this forum to weigh in on this issue either on this thread and a similar thread in the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/68-canadian-pentaxians/6936-new-g...tax-canada.htm. Hopefully if enough pressure is exerted on Ricoh Canada and or Ricoh North America, the adopted supply management policy that prompted/forced Canadian retailers to stop stocking the Pentax Brand will be reversed, and the Pentax name will be more than a banner on the face of a shelf with Canon and Nikon cameras & lenses on it in the Canadian Retail Marketplace
I live in SK and the only store is Don's Photo but very limited stock also. If Pentax want's a come back they need to be present in all stores. Can not see why Pentax can not get that right?

02-21-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

McBains in Edmonton and TheCameraStore in Calgary still stock Pentax
02-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Downtown Camera in Toronto has been excellent, has a limited stock of usually one or two of the most popular items. They don't want to carry inventory of the higher price items (eg 150-450mm). They will special order anything, and I think they are a bit frustrated by the lead times in the supply chain. I bought my K1 and 645z there recently, and the Super Program came from there back in the '80s.
Burlington Camera in Burlington has a large collection of used items and some new-old-stock, and are very knowledgeable, and will order for you as well.
Bell* Arte Camera in Hamilton has a decent amount of stock of common lenses and bodies. Good people.
Don's Photo in Winnipeg was good for a couple of mail order items.
BJ Photo in Waterloo has a small stock, and the people are knowledgeable.
I've found a big issue is clearly where is the product being warehoused/distributed from. Some things are apparently in stock at the "Pentax warehouse", yet it can take weeks for them to actually show up.
On the other hand, B&H in New York City has a lot of stock in their warehouse, and it shows up here near Toronto in a few days.
02-22-2018, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm glad there is traction beginning to build on this issue. I also feel that there is great information being shared as to where Pentax products can still be bought locally. Sadly this information does little good other than add to the frustration for those of us here in Atlantic Canada and other parts of the country where the possibility of walking into a local camera store, purchasing a new Pentax Camera or lens and using it right away just doesn't exist. Leaving Pentax users in many parts of this country looking to upgrade or someone new and unfamiliar with the Pentax name, making a major leap of faith, shelling out sometimes thousands of dollars and waiting for a Camera to be shipped to them. This leap of faith is made all that much greater especially when one considers a Kit Canon or Nikon Camera can be bought just about anywhere and in many camera shops lesser known brands on par with Pentax with respect to familiarity and users such as Sony, Olympus & some very high end Leica's can be bought right off the shelf.

Just about all my current and previously owned cameras and lenses, with exception of my current K-70 Body and a couple of "Used" lenses, were either well researched or impulse "Off the Shelf" purchases. I've even bought a lens at a pawn shop after the owner insisted I bring my camera in and test it before purchasing

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 02-22-2018 at 04:24 PM.
02-24-2018, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Carried over from Canadian Group

I am inviting all Canadian Pentax users and others that are members of this forum to weigh in on this issue either on this thread and a similar thread in the New to the Group/Concerned about Pentax in Canada - Canadian Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com. Hopefully if enough pressure is exerted on Ricoh Canada and or Ricoh North America, the adopted supply management policy that prompted/forced Canadian retailers to stop stocking the Pentax Brand will be reversed, and the Pentax name will be more than a banner on the face of a shelf with Canon and Nikon cameras & lenses on it in the Canadian Retail Marketplace
Hello all. Thought I would re-post from my original thread, The e-mail I sent to "Kevin.camacho@ricoh-USA.com" was answered with "do you have a phone number?" that was 5 days ago and I have heard nothing since!

Please see attached for original posts on this!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Ricoh Pentax Pentax Forums 2 page 2.pdf (418.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf Ricoh Pentax Pentax Forums 2.pdf (334.1 KB, 88 views)
02-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by in2toy Quote
I live in SK and the only store is Don's Photo but very limited stock also. If Pentax want's a come back they need to be present in all stores. Can not see why Pentax can not get that right?
I haven't been in the Don's in Regina for quite some time, but the last time I was in they were reasonably well stocked.
02-24-2018, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #13

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Last Sunday I picked up my new DA*300mm F4 from Don's in Winnipeg. It had to be ordered and paid for in advance. While this isn't anyone else's problem - I am disabled and how something feels in my hands is incredibly important. This is something I can only do if a store carries stock or in the case of Don's is willing to risk me asking for a refund if it doesn't suit. Honestly the lens and K-3 combo is getting up there for for me but I will learn to make it work. The fact that only Don's was willing to work with me on a $1200 lens was sad. While Henry's would order it, it was a order it and lump it arrangement as the lens could not be returned. When it comes time to replace my K-3 I don't know what I will do if I can't feel the new body in my hands before making a commitment. If I am someone who has already spent thousands of dollars with Pentax over the years is feeling put out by this, how likely is a new user going to be inclined to plonk down their hard earned money on a non-refundable order for a product they have never seen or felt in their hands. Granted my money is so tight I squeak when I walk so every purchase is planned well in advance, I really am saddened that my ability to buy on a whim has been taken away from me.

BTW Don's in Winnipeg had 0 Pentax gear in stock.
02-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

London Drugs carry Pentax, not sure how far east that chain goes. Although they don't have that many models it's also the only place in town to see any canon or nikon above the lowest entry level.
02-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The London Drugs here in town got rid of all their in-store Pentax inventory last month. Order-in only now. Perhaps you should check your local LD to see if this was a chain-wide decision.