Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Last Sunday I picked up my new DA*300mm F4 from Don's in Winnipeg. It had to be ordered and paid for in advance. While this isn't anyone else's problem - I am disabled and how something feels in my hands is incredibly important. This is something I can only do if a store carries stock or in the case of Don's is willing to risk me asking for a refund if it doesn't suit. Honestly the lens and K-3 combo is getting up there for for me but I will learn to make it work. The fact that only Don's was willing to work with me on a $1200 lens was sad. While Henry's would order it, it was a order it and lump it arrangement as the lens could not be returned. When it comes time to replace my K-3 I don't know what I will do if I can't feel the new body in my hands before making a commitment. If I am someone who has already spent thousands of dollars with Pentax over the years is feeling put out by this, how likely is a new user going to be inclined to plonk down their hard earned money on a non-refundable order for a product they have never seen or felt in their hands. Granted my money is so tight I squeak when I walk so every purchase is planned well in advance, I really am saddened that my ability to buy on a whim has been taken away from me.

BTW Don's in Winnipeg had 0 Pentax gear in stock.
Don’s Photo is also in bankruptcy protection, so it’s not surprising they aren’t carrying much stuff. Perhaps I’ll stop in there tomorrow and scope things out.

02-25-2018, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel your pain here in the Northeastern U.S. also. Her in Maine we have one store chain, Hunts that carries a little Pentax, the MF 645 at their Massachusetts warehouse, the K1 and now preorders for the Mark II. No lenses other than what is on the kit K1. I want to touch the camera before I buy but they only have something that evokes longing in me but which my budget and skill level cannot justify as a purchase.
I guess I am dependent on the wisdom of the forums for purchasing advice. So far it has worked pretty well.
02-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #18

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Don’s Photo is also in bankruptcy protection, so it’s not surprising they aren’t carrying much stuff. Perhaps I’ll stop in there tomorrow and scope things out.
Sad. Makes me wonder how long before they disappear from the retail landscape too.
03-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

And stop in I did. Pentax has been relegated to a corner of one small bay.
Sad.

03-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Gas Attack

I couldn't resist the urge today when I saw the flash on the top of the forum for a Steal: HD DA 55-300mm Lens Only $147 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Sad but true, I bit the bullet and made another purchase through the U.S. even with the exchange rate I could not find a comparable Canadian price!

Comments?
03-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I couldn't resist the urge today when I saw the flash on the top of the forum for a Steal: HD DA 55-300mm Lens Only $147 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Sad but true, I bit the bullet and made another purchase through the U.S. even with the exchange rate I could not find a comparable Canadian price!

Comments?
As long as you are fine with grey market equipment, it’s no biggie.
03-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, I don't understand "grey market" reference, please clarify your meaning?
From Wikipedia:
“A grey market (sometimes confused with the similar term parallel market)[1][2] is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are legal but unintended by the original manufacturer or trade mark proprietor. Grey market products (grey goods) are products sold by a manufacturer or their authorized agent outside the terms of the agreement between the reseller and the manufacturer.”

Generally speaking, when a new product crosses an international border to get from the retailer to it’s owner, it will be grey market. All it means is you haven’t bought from the distributor in your country. The only real ramification is that you may not have warranty, though Pentax generally is a world wide warranty.
In 45 years of photography, I have only used warranty once for my gear, that being a 60-250 that had AF issues. It needed repair twice in fact, as after the warranty ran out and I had sold it, it broke by arriving DOA at it’s new home. I lost money on that one as I paid for the repair.

03-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #23

I find this quite interesting. I have just bought a new KS2 and some other gear and it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper here in Canada through a bricks and mortar store, McBain's Cameras, in Edmonton. On the total purchase it was easily $300 less than having sourced the stuff from the states. In general, we levy lower duties on Japanese made products than the States do so there isn't a real good reason for Camera gear made in Japan to be more expensive up here.
03-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Confusion Around "Grey Market"

From Wikipedia:
“A grey market (sometimes confused with the similar term parallel market)[1][2] is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are legal but unintended by the original manufacturer or trade mark proprietor. Grey market products (grey goods) are products sold by a manufacturer or their authorized agent outside the terms of the agreement between the reseller and the manufacturer.”

Generally speaking, when a new product crosses an international border to get from the retailer to it’s owner, it will be grey market. All it means is you haven’t bought from the distributor in your country. The only real ramification is that you may not have warranty, though Pentax generally is a world wide warranty.
In 45 years of photography, I have only used warranty once for my gear, that being a 60-250 that had AF issues. It needed repair twice in fact, as after the warranty ran out and I had sold it, it broke by arriving DOA at it’s new home. I lost money on that one as I paid for the repair.
If my purchase was bought through an "Authorized" seller this does not make it a "grey market" purchase, it only means the warranty is specific to "North America" and does not qualify for "Canadian" warranty which could be longer!

QuoteQuote:
Conditions of RICOH IMAGING NORTH AMERICA Warranty

1. RICOH IMAGING products originally distributed by RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION and RICOH IMAGING CANADA and purchased through our authorized distribution channels, are warranted by RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION and RICOH IMAGING CANADA to the original retail purchaser for a period of one year from date of purchase against defects in material and/or workmanship.

2. This warranty is limited to repair of defects in material and/or workmanship. These repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. However all charges related to shipping the product to the service center are the responsibility of the owner. (Note: RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION and RICOH IMAGING CANADA will not assume the responsibility for damages or loss encountered in transit to the service center, but will assist in processing any claims whenever possible.)

3. This warranty does not cover finishes or batteries, nor does it cover damages resulting from accident, misuse, abuse, dirt, water, battery leakage, tampering, servicing performed or attempted by unauthorized service agencies. This warranty is valid only in the country where this product is purchased. Routine cleaning and normal cosmetic and mechanical wear are not covered under the terms of this warranty. RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION and RICOH IMAGING CANADA shall not be liable for any consequential or incidental damages resulting from any breach of warranty, express or implied, applicable to this product.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights and you may have other legal rights which vary from state to state. This warranty policy does not affect the consumer’s statutory rights.

For Service related questions, please call

Canada
Phone: 1-800-461-6203
Warranty Information?Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

Making a purchase from an "unauthorized reseller" would make it a "grey market item" as my purchase was from an authorized reseller in the US only means "Canadian Warranty" does not apply!

Thanks for your comments! Sorry I had deleted my post "what do you mean grey market" probably as you were posting your response.

What is gray market? - Definition from WhatIs.com

There is much confusion around "Gray Market!"

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean2 Quote
I find this quite interesting. I have just bought a new KS2 and some other gear and it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper here in Canada through a bricks and mortar store, McBain's Cameras, in Edmonton. On the total purchase it was easily $300 less than having sourced the stuff from the states. In general, we levy lower duties on Japanese made products than the States do so there isn't a real good reason for Camera gear made in Japan to be more expensive up here.
As far as duty goes, at the present we, as Canadians don't pay duty on Camera equipment made in Japan and bought through the US. The problem is trying to find a store in Canada where you can actually "touch & feel" before you buy, stock on the shelves is very limited! I find this link a great place to find price comparisons as well as "duty information" http://www.photoprice.ca/

Cheers!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 03-03-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Change link
03-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

If my purchase was bought through an "Authorized" seller this does not make it a "grey market" purchase, it only means the warranty is specific to "North America" and does not qualify for "Canadian" warranty which could be longer!

Warranty Information?Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

Making a purchase from an "unauthorized reseller" would make it a "grey market item" as my purchase was from an authorized reseller in the US only means "Canadian Warranty" does not apply!

Thanks for your comments! Sorry I had deleted my post "what do you mean grey market" probably as you were posting your response.

What is gray market? - Definition from WhatIs.com

There is much confusion around "Gray Market!"

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 01:04 PM ----------

As far as duty goes, at the present we, as Canadians don't pay duty on Camera equipment made in Japan and bought through the US. The problem is trying to find a store in Canada where you can actually "touch & feel" before you buy, stock on the shelves is very limited! I find this link a great place to find price comparisons as well as "duty information" Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca

Cheers!
The point is, a Canadian buying from Ricoh USA rather than Ricoh Canada is buying grey market, since the official distribution channel is Ricoh Canada. As Ricoh will warrant the product, the only loss is to Ricoh Canada, who didn’t make the sale, and so becomes minutely less profitable to the mother corp.
03-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

As Ricoh will warrant the product, the only loss is to Ricoh Canada, who didn’t make the sale, and so becomes minutely less profitable to the mother corp.
The Canadian purchaser also loses 1 year of warranty on items from the US vs Canada. All my new Pentax equipment has come from Canadian retailers as the differences in price was never enough to give up the year warranty, the possible added hassle of importing from the US (though it's quite simple these days), and I also preferred the idea of supporting Canadian retailers +Ricoh Canada. A large enough savings would probably sway me, and I've purchased a good deal of other camera equipment from the States without hassle (lightstands, tripods, etc).

My Pentax stuff has come from the Camera Store (who seem to have decent stock but I've never made it to their store) and prodigital2000 who have been listing less and less Pentax stuff recently. I'm not sure if prodigital's brick and mortar stores have also been dropping Pentax stock. Locally, I have a store that has a ks2 on display, as well as the first Theta (marked down to $100). They might also have a 55-300mm PLM. Even with very little stock, a couple years back they actually had Pentax promotional material on the counter, it was surprising.
03-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The point is, a Canadian buying from Ricoh USA rather than Ricoh Canada is buying grey market, since the official distribution channel is Ricoh Canada. As Ricoh will warrant the product, the only loss is to Ricoh Canada, who didn’t make the sale, and so becomes minutely less profitable to the mother corp.
I agree about making Ricoh Canada a little less profitable, and the last thing that I want to do is make it easier for them to close up in Canada completely, but as you will all agree it would be nice to walk into a store that has a "PENTAX SECTION!" As for stores in Canada that do carry stock in Pentax they appear to be over 400km from where I live and the price on the lens I bought is still $100 to $200 more in Canadian dollars! Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
03-04-2018, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree about making Ricoh Canada a little less profitable, and the last thing that I want to do is make it easier for them to close up in Canada completely, but as you will all agree it would be nice to walk into a store that has a "PENTAX SECTION!" As for stores in Canada that do carry stock in Pentax they appear to be over 400km from where I live and the price on the lens I bought is still $100 to $200 more in Canadian dollars! Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
When the dollar difference is that great, buying from outside the manufacturers official channel is a no brainer. Even if the lens breaks with no warranty, a couple of hundred bucks will go a long way to fixing it.
As an aside, you didn’t exactly walk into a shop to buy it anyway, you mail ordered it.
The long term issue I see, and we are certainly already well into it, is the Americanization of the Canadian retail landscape. All of our major retail sectors have been invaded and taken over by American companies, and they are sucking huge amounts of money out of the Canadian economy.
Buying in a Home Depot or Walmart is all well and good in that one is supporting Canadian workers on the sales floor and in part of the supply chain, but the profits of their labours is not staying in Canada, and this erodes our sovereignity as a nation.
As the rather incoherent President said the other day in a rare moment of lucidity, if you haven’t got steel, you haven’t got a country. Extend this out, and if you haven’t got a manufacturing base (we don’t really, and what we have is being attacked by trade tariffs and hostile takeovers) and you don’t own the companies operating within your borders, you haven’t got a country.
This should be of concern to all Canadians as we are well on the road to having foreign interests being able to dictate our internal social policies, which would be devastating to the uniqueness that makes us Canadian.
What I fear is that the horse has already left the barn and is on it’s way out of the pasture as well.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-04-2018 at 09:14 AM.
03-04-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I also agree with SharkyCA when it comes to making Ricoh Canada less profitable and providing Ricoh North America another reason to justify not supplying the Canadian Market is not a good idea. I'm also sure it makes sense to Ricoh NA to force Canadians to buy out of the US market. Doing so limits their liability with respect to warranty, eliminates the requirement to have a distribution network in Canada, reduces the tax liability supporting the the distribution network and any losses due to currency fluctuations.

Having worked for a US based company with a Canadian subsidiarity sometimes losses incurred due to currency fluctuations can have a major impact on the bottom line for the US Parent.
03-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #30
Pentaxian

When the dollar difference is that great, buying from outside the manufacturers official channel is a no brainer. Even if the lens breaks with no warranty, a couple of hundred bucks will go a long way to fixing it.
As an aside, you didn’t exactly walk into a shop to buy it anyway, you mail ordered it.
The long term issue I see, and we are certainly already well into it, is the Americanization of the Canadian retail landscape. All of our major retail sectors have been invaded and taken over by American companies, and they are sucking huge amounts of money out of the Canadian economy.
Buying in a Home Depot or Walmart is all well and good in that one is supporting Canadian workers on the sales floor and in part of the supply chain, but the profits of their labours is not staying in Canada, and this erodes our sovereignity as a nation.
As the rather incoherent President said the other day in a rare moment of lucidity, if you haven’t got steel, you haven’t got a country. Extend this out, and if you haven’t got a manufacturing base (we don’t really, and what we have is being attacked by trade tariffs and hostile takeovers) and you don’t own the companies operating within your borders, you haven’t got a country.
This should be of concern to all Canadians as we are well on the road to having foreign interests being able to dictate our internal social policies, which would be devastating to the uniqueness that makes us Canadian.
What I fear is that the horse has already left the barn and is on it’s way out of the pasture as well.
As a Union worker for most of my working life Wheatfield, it saddens me as well to see what has happened to the Canadian manufacturing base and the retail market. We have rapidly gone from a key producer in a world market to key consumer buying what we need from foreign countries who in turn have invested their profits buying up ownership in our natural resources. I would like nothing better than to walk into a Canadian retail chain and buy from a Canadian store but they have all but disappeared, as you said that ship has sailed and probably had a load of Canadian oil in the hold!