Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 06:01 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What does that mean?
I am a Chinese.
But I couldn't see any meaning from the two Chinese characters. I guess it probably just comes from the pronunciation of "pentax".
'penteks'↔'binde' (宾得),simillar?
😀😀

03-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hiicu Quote
I am a Chinese.
But I couldn't see any meaning from the two Chinese characters. I guess it probably just comes from the pronunciation of "pentax".
'penteks'↔'binde' (宾得),simillar?
😀😀
Thanks for your comments! I've checked with one of my Chinese friends and he thinks it may come from Japanese, which, if I understand him correctly, uses these same characters.

While he's not sure, he thinks the characters may refer to the origins of the word "Pentax" As we know, the name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax") and acquired by the Asahi Optical company in 1957.

I'm always interested in where words come from!
03-02-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Use Google translate Mark. I use it all the time to help with my teaching.[COLOR="Silver"]
Unfortunately, Google Translate sometimes gets it wrong. I can converse in three languages and I've seen Google translate get it wrong. (But not as wrong as Facebook's translation capabilities! Those are just plain scary! )