Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
well I, for one, will trust you when you say there is a street there

otherwise, I think it is more appropriate for

Wetness...If the Subject is Water - PentaxForums.com
Yes, but I cropped it out. Some say you should never crop your photo. Oh well.

03-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is it street photography, or urban landscape, Mike?

The guy whose photos amuse me the most is Elliot Erwitt.
Funny, I was just reading about Elliot Erwitt before I read this. Now I have to go and read up on Urban Landscape.

David Gibson is just what I am reading now, I know there are others with different viewpoints. I have read some in the past and will do so again as it has been awhile.

Based on the OP's questions about anxiety - I thing this gives an option to start with. Go out and shoot on the street, but you don't necessarily have to shoot people dead on. I think this would help to make you more comfortable shooting in public and less self conscious with your camera. Then over time you get more personal and up close.
03-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Just do it.
Love the bicycle.
03-07-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Funny, I was just reading about Elliot Erwitt before I read this. Now I have to go and read up on Urban Landscape.
You can start here ... Street Photography Composition Lesson #10: Urban Landscapes

You might have guessed I don't really like Kim's photography, but you know, he's always been a pretty good writer on photography history.

03-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Were you in Venice?
If it makes it a street photo, yes. LOL.

No, but at the top of a hydro dam that ran along the 'street'. Perhaps more of a road as defined by David Gibson.
03-07-2018, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
best policy but tends to ruin the candid photo of the unsuspecting target

I am not trying to convert you or anyone else to my point of view

I just don't do photos of children I don't know
Yes, we are a collection of photographers here, none like the other.
Thought to show a picture, but ended up with photos from Expo 2015.
Here are some pictures (there are streets on Expon) on people, first a selfie.
Now I have to pay to upload more ...
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
03-07-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A nice article came with my daily Petapixel email today that I thought was appropriate here, and that you guys would enjoy. Clackers will definitely get a kick out of some of the photos displayed here.

Nice discussion guys!

03-07-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
A nice article came with my daily Petapixel email today that I thought was appropriate here, and that you guys would enjoy. Clackers will definitely get a kick out of some of the photos displayed here.

Nice discussion guys!
Thank you for that. The last one I really like, and the third one is in the 100 Photo's book with a write up on Pau Buscato (sorry for this missing accent on the o).
03-07-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can start here ... Street Photography Composition Lesson #10: Urban Landscapes

You might have guessed I don't really like Kim's photography, but you know, he's always been a pretty good writer on photography history.
An interesting read, and the link to Rooftopping Toronto made my feet ache. I lived there until I retired, so the photos were familiar. I think for me, and people with anxiety about shooting people, Urban Landscapes are more comfortable and offer chances for some creativity. Thanks for sharing.
03-07-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote

Nice discussion guys!
Love it, JC ... even if the fourth one turns out to be Photoshopped!

03-07-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

You may find this edifying: Photography legend Joel Meyerowitz: phones killed the sexiness of the street | Art and design | The Guardian

QuoteQuote:
I was very shy and it took all my courage – if the plate glass hadn’t been there, maybe I wouldn’t have dared get so close.
03-07-2018, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Sometimes, out of the blue, the perfect moment presents itself. That is the essence of street photography. There is no time for asking, just shoot and be damned.

03-07-2018, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

I do not see where I can push likes for this thread.
03-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #59

I read some old forum threads from 2010 and there was a brief discussion on using the Pentax 21mm Limited Pancake for Street Photography. This gives you close to the 35mm used by some of the masters like Robert Capa. Is anyone using this lens? How do you like it for this purpose? In regards to the anxiety theme of this thread, how close do you need to get to people to get your shot?
03-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
In regards to the anxiety theme of this thread, how close do you need to get to people to get your shot?
It depends.....I do not have that particular 21mm prime, but on post #24, that was shot at 18mm with my foreground at 1m and my focused background at 2m. On post #39, that was shot a little above 50mm and the boy in the foreground was about 4m from me.

You need to get as close as you need for the shot/composition without getting so close that you interfere with the moment or 'ruin' the shot. In the case of my post #24, my proximity triggered the man in the background to react to the camera and his female friend to react to him....so sometimes serendipity makes the shot I couldn't have planned.