Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone who thinks an APS-C camera is too conspicuous for street photography should try a 6x7

Ebenezer Chapel, Caernarfon, North Wales
Pentax 6x7, SMC Takumar 75mm, Ilford FP4

03-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Anyone who thinks an APS-C camera is too conspicuous for street photography should try a 6x7
And if the size doesnʻt catch their eye, the sound will catch their ears. With my 645 and its auto advance motor and gears steam punking everyone in earshot, there is no such thing as stealth unless I am in a very noisy market, train station, festival, etc. But that medium format negative is gold to work with and even the contact sheets are a joy to view.
04-12-2018, 04:14 AM - 5 Likes   #78

So much great observations on street photography habits and techniques. I think it is all about attitude and this depends on how is our own character. I feel myself very identified with the OP, as suffering from anxiety also occurs to me whenever I try to do street photography. I am also a friendly person, or at least I think I am, curious to know people and I am not particularly shy. However I am kind of tall for the average in Southern Europe and somehow I might not be an unthreatening person to other people just because the way I physically look. I would say that if you don't feel comfortable my throwing your camera between strangers, it's just that street photography will never be your best field. But hey, that should not prevent you from taking some interesting picture from time to time. You may not catch people's soul as V. Meyer did (what a fascinating woman she should have been), but if you keep training your eye you may find some good opportunities to take a snap.

I am lucky to have a Ricoh GR II. Small size and noiseless click do help a lot. Be prepared to react quickly (auto ISO?, min shutter speed?, etc). Never stop smiling gently when doing it. Not too much, just slightly. Drive your attention to a different thing after the shot. Do not get too frustrated if you're incapable of shooting from the front. I am usually neither that brave. Try to compose the shot with the elements you have. Do not refuse to shoot even if everyone is giving your back to you. Try not to concentrate on street photography, but on just on photography. Eventually a street scene may occur. If you loose it, think about the things you should you've done. Do not blame yourself too much if one day you got nothing. It will come as long as you keep observing. I believe that below 50mm effective focal length is better. Sometimes it's about luck too. And character. I know a guy who shots always a K30 with the kit lens always at 18mm and he gets incredibly amazing stuff just because the way he is.

These are some examples of shots made as a coward photographer. Not brilliant stuff but just to demonstrate that we can also get some shots too.

Last edited by rodaballo; 04-16-2018 at 05:22 PM.
04-12-2018, 06:17 AM - 2 Likes   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
So much great observations on street photography habits and techniques.
Love your shot of the two businessmen on the train platform.

04-16-2018, 04:44 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tried street photography a couple of times and avoided pics of children and young woman walking unaccompanied.

I've nothing against any of these, but essentially street photography means you take pictures of people without their consent.

If you are challenged, and you have pictures of children and young 'single' woman, you could have some awkward explaining to do.

I once paid a street vendor for taking pictures of her, and it didn't work out. She tried her best to 'pose' for the camera, instead of just being herself. Still had to pay.

It still makes me nervous to take street pictures of people, and is not my preferred activity.
04-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Here's an interesting article in today's press about the legalities of street photography in Australia. It seems to be much less regulated than in the US.
04-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am not a legal expert, take the following with a grain of salt; my understanding is that in the USA, if you are out in public, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy from a legal viewpoint, and having your picture take against your will is not illegal unless it's used in a compromising way.

That said, I don't know that I would try to lean too hard on that if there's an altercation over taking someone's picture.

04-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I am not a legal expert, take the following with a grain of salt; my understanding is that in the USA, if you are out in public, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy from a legal viewpoint, and having your picture take against your will is not illegal unless it's used in a compromising way.
That is the common-sense view, and appears to be the situation in Australia (with caveats). It may not apply elsewhere.
04-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So is this the official "Street Photography" thread?
04-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So of course I get knockbacks, but the pictures I do take are so much better than skulking on a park bench snapping with a long lens at strangers looking at their phones.
Ya, I hate those pictures....

04-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I am not comfortable letting unknown people take a photo of me, therefore...
Well, I don't know but I think therein may lie the problem. If you are uncomfortable by having your photo taken (within reason of course) then you will, logically thinking, expect others to be the same.

As mikeSF points out "Don't forget to smile" and don't look threatening.

When I travel I try to look neat, not expensive but neat. This means I do not wear cargo pants, flip flops and washed out T-Shirts with loud advertising printed back and front. I do not wish to look like the ugly tourist in my attire or manners. When you show an interest in people you want to photograph they usually reciprocate, if they have time. If you do not speak the language, there are dozens of ways to express your interest.

However there is one photograph I took which almost got me into deep strife and I still do not know how I got away with it. (See below)

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:45 PM.
04-19-2018, 05:04 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
However there is one photograph I took which almost got me into deep strife and I still do not know how I got away with it.
If looks could kill...