Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If Pentax one days decides to disappear, which brand would you realistically switch t
Canon 64.96%
Nikon 3024.79%
Sony 2520.66%
Olympus 64.96%
Fuji 2016.53%
Panasonic 97.44%
Leica 64.96%
Other 1915.70%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No change until the end of my equipment

03-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
did I start something ??

03-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'd likely get a a cheap 645z with a couple of lenses because I think, historically Pentax MF is a legend. Even now, we see art photographers still shooting Pentax 6x7 and 645. In a decade from now, 645z will still be unique and impressive. To me 645z is the only MF camera that looks nice and deliver exceptional images.
03-06-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looking at this in stark poling terms, it certainly makes me realise anew how much I don't want to switch, but in the hypothetical case that I had to - a forced switch, not the demise of Pentax, where, as others have said, I'd just extend the life of my cameras as far as I could, then Canon is the only brand I have ever thought about switching to: very few of the photographers I respect who take the same sort of image as I do use Nikon, for whatever reason, and I don't seem to get on with Nikon owners as well as Canon owners - and I've never wanted mirrorless, and I do want FF - (and I can't afford Leica) so that's about it.

03-06-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

One more vote for the "staying with Pentax" crowd. If for some reason new Pentax gear was no longer available, my current gear plus
the used market would certainly satisfy my needs for a few years yet.

Perhaps this survey should have been worded in a less pessimistic tone?

Which brand do you think you would likely be shooting now if Pentax didn't exist? or

If you were a new photographer and Pentax didn't exist, which current brand do you think you'd choose?

To the first question, my answer would probably be Nikon. To the latter question my answer would be Fuji.

And for kicks,
Which brand would force you to give up photography all together, were it the only option?
Answer - Sony, (OK, a bit drastic, but I'd rather shoot with homemade pinhole cameras than buy a Sony.)
03-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #21

I would stay with the K-1, K-3, 645Z and for films with the Pentax 67ii.
03-06-2018, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Diehard Pentaxian here. No way I'd go another system. And as others have said, there will be plenty still around after my demise. I'm going to buried with my K-50 white knight.

03-06-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I used to think Nikon before. But this new A7III has me changing my mind.
How do you plan to use the A7III? With an adpater?
03-06-2018, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i am 65 years old ill just use my stuff till it quits and since its all built like a tank i fully expect it to outlive me
03-06-2018, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

I suspect at the time Pentax disappears, several of these others makers may be gone too.
The poll would read: Apple or Samsung?
03-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like everyone here, I wouldn't jump ship the day Pentax goes *poof*. I'm sure whatever K body I would have at the time would function for a long while. I would eventually get a Sony FF mirrorless body and slowly build up a collection of FE lenses. My K-mount lenses could be used with an adapter on the Sony body.

Honestly, Pentax would probably never disappear. It would be bought by someone like Fuji, Olympus, or Panasonic. Canon, Nikon, and Sony would pass.
03-06-2018, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #27

Having recently retired, I think that if Pentax disappeared today, I have enough bodies and lenses to last me - I would just keep using what I have and getting better with it every day.
03-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm the fool who voted Leica, because my heart says Leica. I love rangefinders and prefer them, but DSLR's tend to be better for the telephoto-centric nature of most of my work. Plus, the glass... A nice pre-ASPH 35mm f2, 90mm f2.8 or f2, a Voigtlander 15mm, and a Visoflex setup with maybe the 200mm and/or the 400mm sounds quite nice with an M-P (CCD version) and/or M-10 for digital and a M2 for film. I should have found a way to buy the M2 and Canon 35mm f1.5 that was at my local camera store last summer, but it would have meant selling off all my digital equipment and going film only, something I'm not really wanting to do.

Realistically? I like OVF's, Canon lenses, and Nikon bodies, so I'd probably go with whichever compromise I felt I could live with the most. Currently leaning towards Canon.
03-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Three digital, 12 film bodies......think I'm set for life staying with Pentax
03-06-2018, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I used to think Nikon before. But this new A7III has me changing my mind.
How do you plan to use the A7III? With an adpater?
I'm going to use the 28-70 kit for awhile.

Also this thread shows how loyal Pentaxians are to their brand. I didn't expect that many to say they'd still use the gear even after Pentax is gone.

I'm happy for Pentax. My first DSLR was the k-m (k-2000) nine years ago and I am leaving Pentax this year. My years of being a Pentaxian is gone. I've learned everything with the Pentax, all the basics and advanced and pro knowledge I've learned was from it.

This forum community kept me in photography, I would've quit a long time ago but you guys are the reason I kept going. Love y'all so much. I would say 75 percent of all photography knowledge I know now was from here on Pentax Forums and the 25 percent was my own trial and error.

I would love to stay a Pentaxian as this is the best photography community I've ever been part of. But Sony have what I want in a camera now. Thanks to everyone here, I wouldn't swap to Sony if it wasn't for y'all because like I said, I would've quit photography.

Nine years of photography so far and it was with Pentax all the way until now. Having owned in the past, k-2000, k-7, k-5, and my last Pentax, the k-3. - I will always remember my first DSLR review, the k-2000.

Customer Review