Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

Heading to Charleston S.C for a few days trying to decide what gear to bring

Heading to Charleston Soutg Carolina for a few days with the family. Trying to figure out what gear to bring with me. I have a K-1, DFA 15-30, DFA 24-70, fa 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 85mm f1.4, tamron 90mm, DA* 200, as well as a yongnuo pttl flash, and the 150mm filter system for the 15-30 and an adapter for using the 150mm filters on the 24-70. The 150mm filters are a circular polarizer and a 10 stop ND filter. A carbon fiber travel tripod that is of course coming. I am thinking for sure the 24-70, the filter system, probably the 15-30 (takes up a lot of space), and maybe either the 50mm or the 85mm. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you’ve been there any advice would be appreciated as well (spots to shoot, parking, etc).

03-10-2018, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It depends on how much "slow photography" time you'll have (i.e., time by yourself or your family has a high tolerance whilst you muck about setting up a shot).

1. Lots of slow photography time: bring everything.

2. No slow photography time: ditch the tripod, filters, and manual focus lenses. Definitely bring the 24-70 and probably the 15-30 because zooms are faster to use. You might want the DA 200 for telephoto opportunities. Whether you bring the flash depends on how important it is to you for lighting control and dim lighting -- otherwise the high ISO and high DR capabilities of the K-1 make the flash less important.

Have fun!
03-10-2018, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which is you favorite lens, the lens that you leave on your camera for photos at a moment's notice? Take that one.

Unless your family is the type that says, "why don't you go off and take some picutures while we sit here" you are probably going to be limited to what pictures you can take while out and about walking around and seeing the sights. Do you really want to lug all that gear, and stop and change lenses often? If so, Take the 24-70 and the 50mm, and enjoy.
03-10-2018, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It depends on how much "slow photography" time you'll have (i.e., time by yourself or your family has a high tolerance whilst you muck about setting up a shot).

1. Lots of slow photography time: bring everything.

2. No slow photography time: ditch the tripod, filters, and manual focus lenses. Definitely bring the 24-70 and probably the 15-30 because zooms are faster to use. You might want the DA 200 for telephoto opportunities. Whether you bring the flash depends on how important it is to you for lighting control and dim lighting -- otherwise the high ISO and high DR capabilities of the K-1 make the flash less important.

Have fun!
I go the other way

what is it I can transport

if no limitations why not bring it all

now the limitations might be on several levels

1 I can transport X by car

2 I can transport X - Y by air with carry on

3 once I get there, I can transport only by foot

x - y - z

your list of gear gets smaller and smaller

I hope that is clear as mud

by the way I am easily confused

have you looked at your caption

Heading to Charleston S.C for a few days trying to decide what year to bring

Read more at: Heading to Charleston S.C for a few days trying to decide what year to bring - PentaxForums.com

what year to bring ???

have fun and remember to first take the " photo " with the mark 1 eye balls and store in your own memory

then try to capture the image using your camera, lenses and memory cards

look around without the camera and you might be surprised what you can see

03-10-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Heading to Charleston Soutg Carolina for a few days with the family. Trying to figure out what gear to bring with me. I have a K-1, DFA 15-30, DFA 24-70, fa 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 85mm f1.4, tamron 90mm, DA* 200, as well as a yongnuo pttl flash, and the 150mm filter system for the 15-30 and an adapter for using the 150mm filters on the 24-70. The 150mm filters are a circular polarizer and a 10 stop ND filter. A carbon fiber travel tripod that is of course coming. I am thinking for sure the 24-70, the filter system, probably the 15-30 (takes up a lot of space), and maybe either the 50mm or the 85mm. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you’ve been there any advice would be appreciated as well (spots to shoot, parking, etc).
You may have almost everything you will need. The only other lens may be a telephoto if you want to take birds/wildlife/alligators in Middleton gardens. This is a definitely worth it trip outside of town, especially if the azaleas are in bloom when you are there. Otherwise around town your 24-70 and FA 50 are likely to get the most use, followed by the DFA 15-30. You may not need anything else.
03-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
You may have almost everything you will need. The only other lens may be a telephoto if you want to take birds/wildlife/alligators in Middleton gardens. This is a definitely worth it trip outside of town, especially if the azaleas are in bloom when you are there. Otherwise around town your 24-70 and FA 50 are likely to get the most use, followed by the DFA 15-30. You may not need anything else.
another thought

I am heading to Yellowstone NP by air in mid may and am limited on what I can transport by air

so I am renting equipment ( in my case from LensRental.com, you could choose another company ) which will have equipment - a pentax sporting scope and a tripod waiting for me at Fed Ex at the town I fly into

all i have to do is to pick it up and drop it off on the way out of town

no transport problem and I get to rent a piece of equipment I don't have

perhaps that might be of interest ?
03-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
Family is really great about letting me go off and do my thing. So time isn’t too much of a factor. My most used lens is the 15-30mm. Next most used is the 24-70.

03-10-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #8

Charleston has LOTS to take pictures of this time of year, both indoors and outdoors. I would decided whether I am primarily going to be shooting indoors or out, and how much time to I have to allocate to pictures. Also depends on where I will be staying and how I am traveling. If you have the opportunity to hook up with another photo enthusiast from there, they make great guides for what you are interested in. You will discover far more, and way faster than doing it on your own.
03-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean2 Quote
Charleston has LOTS to take pictures of this time of year, both indoors and outdoors. I would decided whether I am primarily going to be shooting indoors or out, and how much time to I have to allocate to pictures. Also depends on where I will be staying and how I am traveling. If you have the opportunity to hook up with another photo enthusiast from there, they make great guides for what you are interested in. You will discover far more, and way faster than doing it on your own.
What is there to take pictures of indoors? I am heading out there tomorrow and see Monday is supposed to be rain. So something indoors would be great.
03-10-2018, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Clearly the 15-30 and the 24-70 as Charleston is rife with landscape and architectural opportunities. The 85 and the 90 are largely redundant and less likely to be useful anyway. The 200 might come in handy so I'd probably take it. In your position I would probably take the 2 wide angle zooms and the 200 along with a lightweight tripod and remote release, A Flash could be useful if you have room.
03-10-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I was just there a month ago) really enjoyed the city and the Folly Beach. Was a very brief visit, but I had my K-1, DFA 15-30, 28-105, Tammy 70-200 2.8 and a fast prime, but I used the 15-30 throughout the whole visit (except for one shot of the bridge lol).

The spot overlooking the bridge (I believe I was on the Remleys Point, on Mt. Pleasant side) is excellent for sunsets.

If interested my album is here:
Charleston, SC | Flickr
03-10-2018, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, whenever I travel, I look at Trip Advisor, it is my favorite site for travel advice and reviews, and often features photos. I have put several shots of different locations there myself
03-10-2018, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Charleston is largely a narrow street area with limited telephoto opportunity except for the harbor. The 15-30, 24-70 and 200 is all I suggest. The 24-70 is likely the most useful.

Brookgreen Gardens is 1.5 hours north and lovely.
03-10-2018, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I didn't get the opportunity to visit the magnolia plantations, but they seem very photogenic in good conditions.
03-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice.