Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Identify the camera, lens and flash in a TV show?

OK, I'm watching the first episode of "The Looming Tower", a recent (and rather good, so far) show on Amazon. At 29'24" in, one of the characters starts taking photos of a government building, and I was surprised to note that it's a Pentax. I'm not 100% sure which model, but I think it might be a ZX-50. The lens appears to be the Sigma 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 DL Hyperzoom Macro. I can't identify the flash.

So, what camera / lens / flash combo do you think this is?

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-10-2018 at 02:21 PM.
03-10-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like an ZX-50. (Also called an MZ-50) No idea re the flash. Nice wristwatch!
03-10-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash = 500 FTZ?
03-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
Flash = 500 FTZ?
I believe you're right! The Pentax badge has come off the front, or they've blacked it out...

03-11-2018, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's always good to see a movie or TV still where it looks like the actor actually knows how to use a camera. This guy either gets it or is faking it very well: elbows drawn in, supporting the weight of the camera and lens with his left hand, with his thumb and index finger in the right place to operate the aperture ring. How often do we see technique like that from a thespian?
03-11-2018, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It's always good to see a movie or TV still where it looks like the actor actually knows how to use a camera. This guy either gets it or is faking it very well: elbows drawn in, supporting the weight of the camera and lens with his left hand, with his thumb and index finger in the right place to operate the aperture ring. How often do we see technique like that from a thespian?
Good point, Dave... Clearly the actor has some experience of photography, or someone has taught him the correct hold for the sake of accuracy.

Kudos to the prop master, too... This particular scene takes place a few days prior to the 1998 US Embassy bombing in Nairobi, and the ZX / MZ-50 was released in 1997. The AF500FTZ flash was, I think, released around 1992. Not sure about the lens, but it's certainly film era.

I do like it when shows and films get the little details right
03-11-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good point, Dave... Clearly the actor has some experience of photography, or someone has taught him the correct hold for the sake of accuracy.

Kudos to the prop master, too... This particular scene takes place a few days prior to the 1998 US Embassy bombing in Nairobi, and the ZX / MZ-50 was released in 1997. The AF500FTZ flash was, I think, released around 1992. Not sure about the lens, but it's certainly film era.

I do like it when shows and films get the little details right
That's something I look out for in movies as well. I've been involved in the making of a few where I had brought props from home because they did not have the right era radio or TV in the room.

03-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I believe you're right! The Pentax badge has come off the front, or they've blacked it out...
Had one many moons ago to use with PZ-1. Called it a "Flame Thrower". Maybe the best Pentax unit until 540 FGZ and maybe still. I replaced mine with the 540 to gain PTTL.
BTW does appear to me that Penax logo may have been (hastily) blacked out.
03-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always laugh when the shutter noise is wrong...

... and smile when I know it’s right...

-Eric
03-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I always laugh when the shutter noise is wrong...

... and smile when I know it’s right...
Yeah... they usually get the viewfinder / focus screen overlay wrong, too