Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting two systems.

How many of you shoot two systems?
I have come to narrow down that I like shooting people. Specifically weddings and events.
Interestingly that is the only type of photography that I can actually make some cash to support this "hobby".
I have no intension to become a professional. I feel like I am due for an upgrade.

I am thinking of getting the Sony A6500 mirrorless plus the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 FE lens soon to be released mid year.
I was thinking of getting the K-1. But even the K-1 at reduced price is 500€ expensive than the A6500.
And I am not sure if I really care about FF. Frankly I dont want this thread to turn into what its not so I dont want to explain so much the reasons for the Sony.

I have.
Camera bodies K-3 and K-30
Lenses.
Pentax 18-135
Pentax M50 f1.7
Pentax F50 f1.7
Sigma 10-20 f3.5-5.6
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Tamron 70-300
Tamron 70-200 f2.8
Samyang 85 f1.4

I love my K-3 and 70-200 f2.8 combo. So I dont want to sell it.
I will adapt Samyang 85 and Pentax F50 to the Sony with Techart pro.

So I will sell the following to bear the cost.
K-30
Pentax 18-135
Pentax M50 f1.7
Sigma 10-20 f3.5-5.6
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Tamron 70-300

My question is, Is this sound thinking?

Culture.

03-12-2018, 02:23 AM   #2

Unless you shoot only one type of photography, for example landscapes, using a single system can be restrictive. I shoot wildlfe/birds, landscapes, street, some portraits, and do a lot of hiking and travel photography. Also sometimes videos. I used practically every digital system since the nineties. Over the past four or five years, I decided to use only lighter systems so I now use these:
- Pentax APSC; KP & K-70
- Sony a6000
- Panasonics GX85/80
- Ricoh GRii
Each where I find works best for the situation. Got rid of my Canon FF and other Pentax (K-5 & K-3), and haven’t been more satisfied - for now!! Also most of my friends use at least two systems. Most have added a Fuji or another mirrorless system to their Canon or Nikon. So your thinking is sound and not unusual, but the specifics of the multiple systems are up to you and your type of photography

George

Last edited by Georgehakim; 03-12-2018 at 02:31 AM.
03-12-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In digital, I shoot both Pentax (K3) and Fujifilm (X-M1). The K3 is a higher-grade, more flexible camera with more features but the Fujifilm is much smaller and the Fujifilm system includes a 35mm f/1.4 lens which is compact, has wonderful IQ and is reasonably priced, something that Pentax lacks. I generally use the Fujifilm as a carry-always camera and for social events, where it's small size and superb normal prime are ideal.

It really depends on what you want each system for. There's no point in having two systems if you're going to use them for the same thing.
03-12-2018, 03:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don´t you need the wide lens Sigma 10-20?

03-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
In digital, I shoot both Pentax (K3) and Fujifilm (X-M1).

It really depends on what you want each system for. There's no point in having two systems if you're going to use them for the same thing.
It really will be for the same thing but using it in different ways. The Sony will bring functionality that will add to my photography.
The K-3 and 70-200 has value in it beyond the cost of them together.

---------- Post added 12-03-18 at 13:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Don´t you need the wide lens Sigma 10-20?
I mainly bought this lens for landscape. Lather I thought I could use it for weddings too.
But I have found out that the use is not so much. So it wont hurt getting rid of it.
03-12-2018, 03:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I have 2.5 systems. Pentax for "serious" photography, Panasonic p'n's for holidays and then I got a Sony mirrorless for video (which was of course much better than Pentax!)

But, firstly the adapted lenses did not offer the same level of integration on the Sony as the Pentax which is only to be expected.
Secondly the difference between the user interfaces gave me problems if I tried to use both during the same session.
Eventually I evolved the practice of using one or the other but not carrying both.

YMMV
03-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I used to do this but stopped. I shoot Pentax 35mm and used to shoot Olympus OMD M4/3 at the same time. I left the Pentax world after my K7. The M4/3 camera was everything I needed. Problem is, I was carrying two bodies, film, Olympus primes and a zoom, and Pentax A and M series primes. I also, sometimes, carry around a 120 system (YashicaTLR or a Bronica 645) depending upon what I am shooting. That is too much to carry around.

Now, I have my Pentax 35mm and primes, my K3 and two zooms (17- 50/ 2.8 and 70- 200/ 2.8) and am completely happy. The zooms are not necessarily reverse compatible but all of my A and M primes switch over. Saved me a bunch of room.

I also have a Sony RX100 point and shoot which I do not count as another system as it is my family around the house camera.

03-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
How many of you shoot two systems?
Only two systems?

Like other users have noted, it depends on your requirements, and what gear you are familiar with/ have spent more time or money on, or simply have access to.

Personally, I may have Pentax, Nikon and Sony or GoPro bodies in my camera bag, depending on what I need to shoot. Alongside Sigma, Tamron, Samyang, Yongnuo, Pentax, Nikon, Sony lenses, plus Pentax, Metz, Yongnuo, Godox flashes, and innumerable accessories from a host of other brands like Cactus, or other hardware sellers.

Further, it is worth emphasising that digital photo images are not just hardware produced. I shoot RAW, and normally use a few RAW editors to process my images. I do not rely on the 'standard' factory issue Pentax Digital Camera Utility image processing software to process my Pentax images. Instead I use Lightroom, DxO PhotoLab, and others most times.

Where does that leave any argument about being loyal to a single brand like Pentax? Sometimes, in this digital era, it's simply not practical to stay 'pure' and loyal to a brand.
03-12-2018, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

A camera is a camera. They all work slightly differently. Buy what works for you. I tend to stay with Pentax because my APS-c bodies and FF body use the same glass and Pentax is a great outdoor system. But I don't get these types of threads. Shooting two systems isn't like cheating on your wife. The cameras don't care. Your Pentax won't leave you because she caught you with a Sony.

If I were a sports/action type shooter and making good money at it I'd probably own an A9, 1Dx or D4. I don't feel that makes me a bad person.

Last edited by normhead; 03-12-2018 at 07:24 AM.
03-12-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I shoot Pentax and Oly m4/3. I started the Oly looking for better image quality in a size similar to a P&S. As it happens with a lot of m4/3 shooters, the little camera grew on me. I now have a small selection of nice glass and an updated body
03-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have multiple systems. The main two are M43 (Panasonic GX7) and Pentax (K3). I usually only use them one at a time in a given trip event etc.

What is the advantage you seek from the Sony in this example? Video?
03-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
... I have come to narrow down that I like shooting people. Specifically weddings and events ... I am thinking of getting the Sony A6500 mirrorless plus the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 FE lens soon to be released mid year. ... I was thinking of getting the K-1. But even the K-1 at reduced price is 500€ expensive than the A6500. ...
Will the A6500 give you better images than the K-3? What features of the A6500 appeal to you?

Comparing the K-1 to the A6500, if you were doing landscapes I would say the K-1 is far superior. For portraits and events, though, they each have appeal. A6500 main advantage IMO is smaller size. K-1 main advantage is at low-light events. For on-screen viewing and printing at moderate sizes up to around 16x20 you probably won't see a significant image quality difference between the 2 cameras.

I moved from my K-5 to a dual system: K-1 and m4/3 (Panasonic GX-85). My main uses are landscapes, night scenes, and travel photography. The larger K-1 system gets used most of the time. The small GX-85 is for street photography and when I want to pack lightly.
03-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What is the advantage you seek from the Sony in this example?
That is the critical question. If the Sony gives you something that you are not getting from the Pentax then by all means get the Sony. But shooting two systems, particularly at the same time, for example at a wedding, would not be something I would want to do. Too many camera adjustments are for me 'muscle memory', I don't want to think about where the button is or how the menu works.
03-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The main reason is the AF. I didnt want to mention the main reason because I know where it will lead.
I have seen countless thread.
Another reason is that one of the camera shop close to me (80km away) that had Pentax stopped the pentax brand.
At this moment there are only two shops that I know of that sell Pentax is this country.
I am not leaving pentax. But I want to have some flexibility.

---------- Post added 12-03-18 at 21:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A camera is a camera. They all work slightly differently. Buy what works for you. I tend to stay with Pentax because my APS-c bodies and FF body use the same glass and Pentax is a great outdoor system. But I don't get these types of threads. Shooting two systems isn't like cheating on your wife. The cameras don't care. Your Pentax won't leave you because she caught you with a Sony.

If I were a sports/action type shooter and making good money at it I'd probably own an A9, 1Dx or D4. I don't feel that makes me a bad person.
Well if I was planning to cheat, I wouldnt be asking about here. I know you guys cannot keep a secret.

As I mentioned the thread was to find out if my thinking was sound. People have different experience.
As you said if you were a different type of shooter you will have probably have something else. As to if you will ask people of their opinions I am not sure.

I am just being shrewd.
03-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have Pentax APS-C (and 35mm film) plus Nikon 1. The main reason for the Nikon 1 system was portability (its small) and indestructability. While the K-3ii is “weather resistant” the AW1 is submersible to 15m and can can be dropped on concrete from 2m, so when I want to throw a camera in the tank bag of a dirt bike, it is going to be the AW1.