Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tales By Light on Netflix

It is a tv show where every episodes follow a photographer or small photography group on their endeavors. Imagine National Geographic.

Easily the best photography tv show I've ever seen. It's Netflix exclusive, so if you have it, do not hesitate to watch!

Just wanted to share this out there, it makes me feel so good and happy after each episode.

Tales By Light, that's what it's called.

Season one trailer

Season two trailer

03-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check into it.
03-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've watched only the first one so far but I like it too. I just need to sell the idea to my family!
03-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, that's an Australian made series, IIRC.

I preferred this British reality gameshow ...

03-14-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have watched all of both of the above shows. My thoughts are:

Master of Photography: It is rather dumbed-down, I found it quite patronising and over simplified, seemingly made not for photograpers to watch but for people who like competition shows to watch. It is absolutely chock-full of product placement, and my most-hated thing, the fake drama of TV competitions, like the interminable pause before announcing winners or losers, and a lot of repetitive descriptions of very basic concepts, like 2 minutes of the exact same spiel about what post-processing is, in every single episode. There are some nuggets of interest while following them round the location, but it is buried in a sea of dull, formulaic competition show.

Tales of Light: Not so much about the craft as the story and personality of the photographers who are showcased. There were some interesting characters, some great locations and a high standard of production and was 'easy on the eye'. I did wish they went into more depth about their techniques, and featured some more high-profile togs, but I found it interesting enough all the same.

What neither of them are, but I think is a yawning gap, is a show for photographers about photography.
03-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I have watched all of both of the above shows. My thoughts are:

What neither of them are, but I think is a yawning gap, is a show for photographers about photography.
I just saw Tales of Light and I agree with you - I would like to have seen more still shots during the video. They click away and you don't get to see a lot of the resulting images.

AND they use Canon not Pentax! LOL.
03-14-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
CDW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote

AND they use Canon not Pentax! LOL.
If I recall correctly, the show is underwritten by Canon Australia, hence the use of Canon gear.
03-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something for me to watch tonight . Cheers for that

03-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
If I recall correctly, the show is underwritten by Canon Australia, hence the use of Canon gear.
After watching season 1 and am halfway through season 2, I've not seen any other camera other than Canon and a few times, Go Pro. So I have to say this is accurate.
03-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, thanks for the heads up! If you watch the ending credits, you'll see the show is co-produced by Canon Australia.