Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm glad to read you are doing well and still practicing your art. Regarding the gear, I'm almost surprised you didn't opt for a u4/3 system considering it's size and weight advantage over FF and APS system.

I hope you still drop in every now and then to post some photos. They are a wonderful glimpse into a world that is far, far away for us. We need to be reminded about it.

Thanks!

03-17-2018, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Alex: Welcome back!

Don’t blame the Gatekeepers. There’s a lot of ‘story’ behind Jim Malcolm. You aren’t the only one.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-17-2018 at 10:11 AM.
03-17-2018, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alex, it's so good to hear from you! Congratulations on your upcoming baby! It matters little, what brand you shoot; the stories in each of your photos are what counts, not what brand. You capture the heart of what goes on in these areas, and it's indeed heartbreaking.

Please continue to post here, as I for one, feel you are a friend, and wish to continue seeing your stunning photography, and most of all; to know you are all right! Pentax indeed did drop the ball; you are the best ambassador they could have ever hoped for! However, you are still part of the "family" here!

Stay safe!

Carol
03-17-2018, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #19

I'm a newbe to the site.
I WOULD LIKE TO SAY "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!
And also add congrats on your first little boy!!!

03-17-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So you got ghosted after telling the person in charge that their marketing efforts are lame...that's how ALL corporations work. Tell the existing power structure they are failing and they run away from you! Too bad you didn't just give them a plan with specific marketing numbers and market approaches, CPM etc. BUT without tearing up their weaknesses in writing. Then they would have wanted to milk you for assistance. Tell them how to gain market share rather than telling them how crappy they are doing. Corporate sorts will ghost you every time! You tried to use a real world approach in the cover-your-ass corporate structure...you're done with Pentax, guaranteed! Would have been the same with most corporations. The person(s) at the top run on strong self-image and don't stand for those who take pot shots at them. They want solutions for unspoken problems, not critiques.
03-17-2018, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.@Ron Boggs. If you think about it, in the end they ghosted themselves. Permanently.
03-17-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was thinking of you just the other day. Glad things are going well. Please keep touching base here. We all know Pentaxians may change their stripes but the soul never changes. And thanks for the photos. - Jack

03-17-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alex, welcome back - I've missed your periodic updates! Glad to hear that Jenny is doing well and #1 son is on his way! Don't blame you for "going to the dark side" - after almost 50 years with Pentax I switched to Canon for the same reason you went to Nikon - well, the lenses part - not the ghosting. It is amazing what's available in the aftermarket!

Anyway, best to you and your family - hope all works out for you!
03-17-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

These pictures have totally different context compared to, for example reflection in a lake in a NP. Both are beautiful in their own way but the former captures people doing the things that are essential to life.
03-17-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear from you Alex. I was wondering if your absence was a work thing.
Now that you've left the brand, will you be leaving the forum?
There is a population of former Pentax users that still hang out here.
03-17-2018, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Then they would have wanted to milk you for assistance. Tell them how to gain market share rather than telling them how crappy they are doing.
I have experienced that scenario on two occasions with two separate companies, one of them Pentax. They have people on the payroll who are supposed to know this stuff. I am talking about things you learn in Marketing 101 class. Very rudimentary stuff and they are still clueless. My new approach, no more freebees. Pay me like you pay every other loser on your payroll and then we will talk. As you mentioned, they told me to take a hike!!! So I did. Screw them. If they are so stupid as to not take advantage of free advice, then let them go down in flames. It is survival of the fittest after all and Pentax is far from it. It is unfortunate because the brand is our beloved brand we have supported for so many years.
03-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, funny thing is you try to assist and they run hide their heads...common corporate stuff. I founded and ran a corporate marketing consulting firm for several decades and learned early on that the corporate world does not reward those who speak their mind...obtained many lucrative contracts by sending the query letter that name drops the competition and hints at ways to either battle against or keep up with the Joneses. But the current regime in power at any corporate office is not generally open-minded about hearing how poorly they are doing. They spend their entire career trying to paint the pretty picture for the higher-ups and people with legitimate criticism are perceived as a thread to the regime.

Sorry you got caught up in that. Your photojournalism is quite well done!
03-17-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see a post from you again, Alex! Exciting news about a coming child and prayers going up on your behalf that all goes well this time.

I hope you continue to post here, even if you don't shoot Pentax. Life is too short to be married to a brand -- I have been pleased with Pentax, but truthfully, the corporation doesn't have the vaguest idea of who I am (I'm still not going to switch). But the most important thing is to capture the beauty and the humanity in the world around us and that is what you have done spectacularly well -- particularly in war torn areas of the world.
03-17-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Thanks for the post, and best of luck.
03-17-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Thank you for service to country. 2) God bless your family. 3) Great photographs. 4) The operating room is a reminder to me how blessed our country is (I had surgery five days ago). 5 ) The B&W photo does more for me. Draws my eye straight to his face (which seems more prominent in B&W) and speaks volumes by expression. 6) I love Pentax but your switch seems quite logical. It is just a set of tools selected for a job. Best of luck in your future.