Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Alex. So good of you to post. Lovely images. I'll hold thumbs for your wife and you with her pregnancy and hope it all progresses normally.

Kind regards,
Mark

03-17-2018, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those are great photos that you shared with us. Understandable why you made the move away from Pentax. Don't be a stranger, and good luck with the family.
03-19-2018, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the support

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
I can't begin to imagine what you've seen in Syria. Unbelievable that there are still smiles anywhere in that fractured country...the images you've shared are wonderful photographs that carry some heavy emotional weight.
Northern Syria, where I was, has catapulted itself to the front of "the most endearingly hospitable and welcoming people I've encountered in all my travels." I'll never forget that despite rubble such as that everywhere, that didn't deter from the hospitality the locals are known for, with a cup of tea or a meal being offered at all possibilities. I truly loved my time there, which makes it all the more heartbreaking when you realize that that country is ruined for at least the next two generations

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
some people get way too emotional over brands, something I've never really understood. It's just gear - the important thing is how you use it, and those photos are super!
Ehh....I was one of those hyper "PENTAX IS THE END ALL BE ALL!" folks For quite a while too. Like I said before, I still am when it comes to the ubiquitous "what should be my first DSLR?" questions.

Regardless, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
We'll be interested to hear from an experienced and sympathetic user of Pentax exactly how the D750 compares.
The short version is that the AF tracking is far superior on the D750. With AF-S focusing, the AF feels more decisive in the OVF, and I equate that to the GUI and faster AF lenses for Nikon. The K-1, even with the DA* 55, however, made me feel confident enough and that combo was one I used for about 85% of all my shots once I got the K-1 (mailed to me in Syria the 2nd month of the deployment). There's also some software parts to the AF system that Pentax should absolutely adopt, such as "orientation saving" of the AF point. Essentially, each orientation (landscape vs portrait mode) has an AF point, so if you are shooting landscape, but you do a quick rotation of the camera to shoot a portrait shot, the point automatically goes to the last time you selected an AF point in that vertical orientation (changed upon sensing the orientation change thanks to body internal magnets, gyroscopes, etc., which the K-1 already has inside it as well). There's a few others, but that was the most shocking "innovation" I realized when I was first playing with the D750's.

IQ? Some may scream blasphemy at this, but in a 100% blind test (not including 100% view, which shows a magnification difference between 24 and 36 mpx), I swear I haven't noticed a difference. They are both incredibly capable sensors and I can recover a significant amount from the shadows. Sure the K-1 has the edge, and especially since it has an additional 50% mpx boost, but for my needs I'm perfectly content with the sensor in the D750. In fact, since I'm traveling so much, it works out better because the RAWs are smaller Again, don't take that as I'm disparaging the K-1 - I believe we are at the point in sensor imaging technology that all updates are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Gone are the days of the K-7 to K-5 earth shattering differences. Sure an extra boost to mpx is nice, and it's an achievement to not be underscored, especially if the accomplishment is more mpx with enhanced ISO performance at the same time (which really is a big deal). But I've not noticed a "downgrade" in my output, and if anything, it's been an upgrade because of the lenses now available to me, which remains the K-1's more stubborn obstacle to overcome - premium lens availability, especially fast primes.

MENUS? Bar none Pentax reigns supreme here. I am an advanced user and still I have to sometimes pull out the manual or do a google search for "I know I saw it, but I can't find that damn feature." Pentax's menu organization is far superior and the INFO button with (now customizable) critical functions is something Nikon doesn't hold a candle to.

ERGONOMICS? Again, another Pentax win. The grip, the button array, and omg that damn lens mounting procedure. With Pentax, it's the most ingeniously designed system ever, where you secure the body by the grip and use your pinky to release the lens button. On the Nikon the button is on the opposite side and the direction of turn is the opposite. The first few times I had to do it (after having to search for the button) I swear I felt like I was going to drop a lens. It's seriously terribly designed. Also, the D750, while not a "Canon Rebel" in terms of quality, it absolutely doesn't exude the same "I can use the body to fill in as a hammer in a pinch" confidence that the K-3 and K-1 series do.

INCLUDED WIFI? I believe the connection is a bit faster and a bit more stable than what I experienced with the K-1, but the Image Sync App, for all its quirks and hiccups, is FAR SUPERIOR to the Nikon equivalent with the D750. I heard the latest Nikon cameras have a better "image sync" (Snap Bridge I believe it's called), but it's not available for the D750. But the K-1 vs D750 has the verdict significantly favoring the K-1's, especially when it comes to controls (hint - there aren't any - the D750 can be remotely triggered, but you can't remotely adjust the exposure settings ).

Again, the cameras have a lot of similarities and some brand-inherent differences. They are both professional tools not to be mistaken for amateur offerings. I remain pleased with my transition, but there's some things that still wax nostalgic for me, such as the lack of pixie dust in the tactile feel of the body when I pick up the D750

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I for one, have shared your Pentax "desert camera abuse!" video with so many people.
Thanks! I noticed that the video has exceeded half a million views
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Being a marketing guy for so many years,
I would actually be interested in chatting with you about what that entails. Because without any trained experience in the subject matter, I do have a weird confidence that I'd be stellar in that career field, especially as a creative director a la Don Draper style

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Regarding the gear, I'm almost surprised you didn't opt for a u4/3 system considering it's size and weight advantage over FF and APS system.
I needed the gear for professional use, and while u4/3 would have been nice for what I'm doing now in terms of size and weight (but not cost!), there's absolutely no way I've be able to use it professionally during weddings. And I would question any photographer that insists on doing so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
I'm a newbe to the site. I WOULD LIKE TO SAY "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!! And also add congrats on your first little boy!!!
Nice to meet you! And thanks! As a fan of the military, you may be interested in some of my military photos

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Too bad you didn't just give them a plan with specific marketing numbers and market approaches, CPM etc...Then they would have wanted to milk you for assistance. Tell them how to gain market share rather than telling them how crappy they are doing....The person(s) at the top run on strong self-image and don't stand for those who take pot shots at them. They want solutions for unspoken problems, not critiques.
I reviewed your profile/post history and while you have been a PF member since 2008, it's clear you didn't pay much attention to my work and efforts here and for the brand. Because I can assure you that not just the screeds of a vocal user were passed on to them, before and after the Ricoh acquisition. Rather, multiple marketing plans and approaches with cost estimates (all low-cost initiatives), were provided. Hell, I even created my own as a way to give away my DA* 16-50.

I offered my consultancy services, which included grassroots knowledge of the Pentax user-base, a highly respected credibility among the sizeable and global PF community, and technical awareness of the company's products and how it all nests within the greater industry that far surpassed Ricoh's own marketing staff (I can't tell you the amount of emails I exchanged where I had to explain simple concepts because they didn't understand what I was talking about, including on products in their own product line ).

And I was never hired for any of it - I just was so (blindly?) passionate that I wanted nothing more than to see the brand succeed and garner enough market share to become what I felt Pentax was - a no bs DSLR competitor that belongs on the field, not outside the stadium in the parking lot adjusting the antenna ears on the radio*. Which would have then garnered some added 3rd party support, and then maybe a Tamron or Sigma announcement such as the recent Art Line now available for Sony E-Mount. And the snowball would keep going from there on the path to enhanced market share, brand recognition, 3rd party participation, and organic brand offerings such as faster lens R&D processes.

So with all due respect, please continue to point out how I undermined my own efforts and loyalty.

*This certainly has a cool factor that I and MANY others were and still remain enamored by, but it stopped being such a dominant aspect when all of us saw release after release after release after yet another release of incredible gear -- lenses, flash gear, etc -- not to be available for Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Good to hear from you Alex. I was wondering if your absence was a work thing. Now that you've left the brand, will you be leaving the forum? There is a population of former Pentax users that still hang out here.
Always great to hear from you. And I will try to pop in a bit more frequently. If anything, I still at least have a few more to share that were taken with K mount gear in Syria

Thanks again all - I appreciate all the support

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 03-19-2018 at 01:28 AM.
03-19-2018, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Great post and welcome back to the forum, even if you're no longer shooting Pentax. Unfortunately, I don't think you're the first person who shot Pentax as part of their work who has been poorly treated by the company. I love my Pentax gear but I live in fear of needing a warranty repair or something. I can understand you moving to another brand - there's a lot of desirable gear out there that isn't available for Pentax and to be honest, the gulf is widening.

Congrats on upcoming fatherhood and I wish you all the best. It's always great to see your photos here and read your very interesting posts which complement the images superbly.

03-19-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen perceptual studies that suggest that it is hard to see resolution differences in final output of less than 2x difference. So 24mp being similar to 36mp isn't too surprising.

My first love in 35mm was Nikon, I own my Nikkormatt FT-3 to this day, my F2a is long gone, and the various FE,FM variants are long gone as well. Modern Nikon's like the 3200, 5200, 7200 have made there way into my hands but the menus have been so awful I've never been tempted to jump ship - unless to get away from those menus! But I must admit I've never spent significant time with them so I haven't learned the quirks well. As bad as the Nikon's menus are, the few Canon bodies I've used were far worse. Only Panasonic so far has been as intuitive as Pentax.

I'll also admit that I'm a brand snob with lenses. I rarely ever shot anything but Nikon on my Nikon's. Same with Pentax. I do have Panasonic and Olympus lenses on my M43 systems. And I use a Rokinon fisheye on Pentax and m43 but the appeal of Sigma and Tamron is lost in me. Too many memories of old lenses that were just awful. I realize that's an outdated view.
03-19-2018, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the Daily In thread on PF is open to any camera, so you always have place here , but if you set up a site of your own, please let us know.
03-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I would actually be interested in chatting with you about what that entails. Because without any trained experience in the subject matter, I do have a weird confidence that I'd be stellar in that career field, especially as a creative director a la Don Draper style
It is a lot of paper pushing and battling with idiot CEOs! One example was a situation that the CEO did not want a website because it was going to expose their product offerings!!!... WHAT? I hope Pentax does not have a CEO with a similar mindset because the brand would be in real trouble. If you wanna chat we can do a PM. I do believe you have a lot to offer. I wish you had spent your massive efforts with Canon or a Nikon. The financial rewards would have been worthwhile.

03-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I needed the gear for professional use, and while u4/3 would have been nice for what I'm doing now in terms of size and weight (but not cost!), there's absolutely no way I've be able to use it professionally during weddings. And I would question any photographer that insists on doing so.
I'm confused. You would question anyone who insisted on using a u4/3 system professionally, like in a wedding? Why?
03-22-2018, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Great photos! Thanks for the update.

Congrats and all that other stuff...but as for switching brands it is what it is.

For me I have brand attachment only to the degree that Pentax was/is my first and only system that I have ever used. I've gone through three camera bodies already and have sort of finally got accustomed to things In the end for a hobby that I only do occasionally until I start making more money it's not worth the cost.

I too though get extremely frustrated by Pentax's lack of lens development. What they make they do well, but the snail's pace at how they do stuff frustrates me. I have toyed with the idea of exploring other systems but at the end of the day I have absolutely zero commercial or professional attachment to photography. At least not enough to justify me buying a lot of new stuff.

While I obviously like the products they have Pentax is not a very well managed company. I talked to their customer service people exactly once and found it lacking. Once you get beyond the gear Pentax has a long way to go.

Anyway enough of that... glad to hear from you.
03-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Fastinating series! Always good to hear from you

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Heie quite a number of places here on the site are not Pentax Specific. Don't be a stranger! Post in the various topic areas (B&W, Portraits, etc.) and keep up in the loop. Weren't you going to build out a wedding venue at one point?
03-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear from you again, and thank you for the fantastic photos. I love the way you put a human face on an ugly conflict. All the best to you & family!
03-28-2018, 06:17 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Great to hear from you Alex! I can't thank you enough for your service... (I'm talking about military service of course)... you are a man I admire much.
Thanks for having been such an advocate for the Pentax community as well. The community lost a contributor, but not a friend. Still, I can't help but worry for Pentax when the most enthusiastic user I have known, has jumped ship (and for very good reasons).

Alex, I wish you and your wife and your baby all the best! Praying that everything will go well with the remaining of the pregnancy and the birth! And for your safety as well, as you are after all in harm's way most of the time. And thanks for chiming in.
06-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #44

Hi Alex,

I just found this thread and it is great to read your story and see your best pentax images again.

Your youtube video of your K-5 & K-7 is still the best pentax all weather feature video on earth until today.

We look forward to hear any news about the birth of your 1st kid soon.

You are right that any Pentax K series user will be able to shoot at highest pro level when Tamron G2 series are available for Pentax K mount.

Greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia.

HMPentax
08-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a shame, it seems that all the pictures he posted in this thread are gone, and his website appears to have gone quiet.