65-69 3110.37%
70-79 279.03%
80+ 10.33%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When i turned 48 with the decimal system i started using hexadecimal. That made me 30 again.

03-22-2018, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
When i turned 48 with the decimal system i started using hexadecimal. That made me 30 again.
Hows that working out for you?
03-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Now i feel i might be able to retire by the age of 65. I sure don't feel any younger.
03-22-2018, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought my MX in 1980 when our first child was on the way. Until 2013 I documented all 12 of our kids lives. hiking, backpacking and road tripping with the small form factor was great! 5000 slides and probably 20000 prints later (mostly with the M50 1.7) I reluctantly decided the switch to digital was inevitable. When researching the switch to I came across the K5iis and got excited for the reasons that are extolled on this forum. I'm 63 now and still love taking pics of life and 26 grandkids (so far); I love this camera and the chance to answer "why Pentax?"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-22-2018, 09:08 PM - 3 Likes   #65

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I came to Pentax in my mid-forties. In 2010 I had to give up working due to poor (read non-existent health). By 2012 I figured this was a permanent change and I was never going back to work. So I started thinking it was time I found something to do that I always wanted to do and that was photography. In the 1990s I picked up a Praktica camera in a yard sale with a couple of lenses for $15 so I knew how to use an SLR if only by trial and error. If I was serious about photography it was time to go digital. Since I still had the film gear I started looking into if I could continue using the old lenses and that led me to Pentax. My bank balance wasn't overflowing but I could afford to buy a K-r. I was almost shaking with excitement at the possibility of being able to afford a DSLR. I bought the K-R and the DA-L 55-300. With in days of dropping the money the insurance company my work used for disability claims decided it knew better than my medical team and they denied my claim and determined I could return to work. So I had to decide should I keep the gear or take it back? I had gone form being slightly flush with funds to totally broke. In the end I decided the camera was good for my mental health and I kept it. I spent 6 months with no income fighting the insurance company. It was not the most pleasant time in my life. In the end the insurance company capitulated and determined I am permanently disabled and the rest is history. But I almost never became a Pentaxian.

Affordability was definitely a driving factor in my initial decision, but ironically I have never used the old lenses much. They aren't worth very much and they don't have many redeeming factors beyond the fact they didn't cost me much.

As for this community, you folks are wonderful. You have taught me a lot, been patient when I had newbie questions and have provided some wonderful feedback on my images. This is what I think makes us a special breed. You may not realize how good for my health you all have been.
03-23-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #66

Hey cool! I get to be a kid again at 37, at least here. Well, that's a good thing. Means I can bug all you geezers (and geezerettes) for tips and tricks and gear you aren't using anymore.
03-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Affordability was definitely a driving factor in my initial decision, but ironically I have never used the old lenses much.
That happened to me too. I'd been using my Tamron 35-300 adapted for 15 years when I bought my *ist D. I couldn't imagine life without it. I got he 18-55 and Sigma 70-300 with the *ist and never actually used the 35-300 much.Probably not more than a few times for shots in the garden along with an old 299 ƒ4 macro.

03-23-2018, 05:23 AM   #68
Pentaxian

That happened to me too. I'd been using my Tamron 35-300 Adaptall for 15 years when I bought my *ist D. I couldn't imagine life without it. I got he 18-55 and Sigma 70-300 with the *ist and never actually used the 35-300 much.Probably not more than a few times for shots in the garden along with an old 200 ƒ4 macro.

When I bought my *istD, being able to use my old lenses was an important selling point, but it never turned out to be an important owning point.

Last edited by normhead; 03-23-2018 at 05:32 AM.
03-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #69

I seem to be in a minority. Both as a Pentax shooter, and as Pentax shooter in a younger age bracket.
03-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I assume participation was not purely voluntary?

Steve
You mean like all those photography students who are basically brow beaten into buying Canon or sometimes Nikon, because that's what their instructors use? I know of one 24 year old who used shoot Pentax but ended up shooting Canon for the phtograohy program and Carlton Uiversity in Ottawa. He didn't have to, but he found it easier to use what the instructor was using. He ended up with a 6D, and kit lens. When he was in Ottawa he worked doing shooting juvenile sports for parents of hockey players. With a Canon he could borrow the company lenses. So lets not get started on who might be using what brand "by force."

Last edited by normhead; 04-14-2018 at 11:42 AM.
03-30-2018, 01:59 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I bought my *istD, being able to use my old lenses was an important selling point, but it never turned out to be an important owning point.
That is true. I have a few legacy manual k-mount and Takumar lenses but never use them because I have modern version of the focal length. So this legacy compatibility is just a feature not many people use. There goes "compatible with millions of lenses" argument.
03-30-2018, 04:29 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
That is true. I have a few legacy manual k-mount and Takumar lenses but never use them because I have modern version of the focal length. So this legacy compatibility is just a feature not many people use. There goes "compatible with millions of lenses" argument.
Very good points both of you are making. I have maybe 8-10 legacy 50mms, some acquired by accident with other purchases, but why use them when you have the FA 43, DA 50, and D FA 50 in hand, except perhaps as some sort of history lesson. Ditto with lot of old 28mm and 35mms--trumped (no political intent here) by the 31mm limited and FA 35. I will make exception on medium format for a few of the old Carl Zeiss Jena lenses such as the Sonnar 160 and Biotar 120 as well as a couple of others that are any way much too expensive for me to consider.
03-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have maybe 8-10 legacy 50mms
Speaking of 50s, I have a few myself. Talk about Chinon, Fujinon, Takumar (50 f1.4), Sears, Pentax M, Konica, and one or two more I cannon remember. They were everyday good lenses back in the days. Today, they are outclassed by more modern lenses. One gem which was a surprise to me was the Sears 50mm f2. It is as sharp as my 43 Limited. I heard that Pentax made it for Sears. Go figure.

do have my share of a few 28s and a few more 135s. I want to clear my closet of all these lenses but I know I have to literally give them away and I cannon bring myself to do that. Maybe one of these days, I can create a "hall of fame" glass case and feature all these old relics along with some old film bodies!
03-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
So this legacy compatibility is just a feature not many people use. There goes "compatible with millions of lenses" argument.
I so thoroughly enjoy being one of the "not many people". Of the lenses on my shelf, only a few are "modern" (meaning no older than my K-3). To the best of my knowledge, all of my non-modern lenses perform similarly to when they were new and are up to the challenge of 24 Mpx on APS-C. Go figure...

Steve
03-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You mean like all those photography students who are basically brow beaten into buying Canon or sometimes Nikon, because that's what their instructors use? I know of one 24 year old whoo used shoot Pentax but ended up shooting Canon for the phtograohy program and Carlton Uiversity in Ottawa. He didn't have to, but je found it easier to use what the instructor was using. He end up with a 6D, and kit lens. When he was in Ottawa he worked doing shooting juvenile sports for parents of hockey players. With a Canon he could borrow the company lenses. SO lets not get started on who might be using what brand "by force."
Easy there Norm. At your age that kind of grumpyness can be bad for the health