Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you shoot dominantly with your Right eye or Left eye in the viewfinder?
Left Eye 5048.54%
Right Eye 5351.46%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Right Eye vs Left Eye through the Viewfinder and Why?

Do you shoot dominantly with your left eye in the viewfinder or right eye in the viewfinder and why?

I shoot with my left because I don't have to squint my right eye when I am shooting through the viewfinder, the right part of my hand and camera blocks it for me so I don't have to squint.

I know some people like to have both eyes open so they shoot with the right, but I find that really difficult to do.

03-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use either depending on what looks/feels better. Not sure how to enter that in the poll
03-20-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most people have a dominant eye. They tend to use that eye when looking through optics like cameras or telescopes. I always take an informal poll when I do outreach with my telescopes. 80% or so have the left eye dominant. Neuroscientists believe that there is no real relationship between handedness and ocular dominance. With the telescope, there is really no ergonomic advantage to using one or the other so it tends to reflect the dominant eye. With cameras, ergonomics can play a role.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 03-20-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Additions and corrections
03-20-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I had stitches in my right lower eyelid (on the inside of the lid), pretty much all through February, I tried shooting with my left eye. I couldn't get the hang of it.

I also look through the telescope with my right eye

03-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am right eye dominant so that is the eye I use for the view finder and also the eye I use if I am sighting a fire arm

however I was taught always keep the left eye all the time as well and I think that is a good trick to learn and gives you an advantage
03-20-2018, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot primarily with my right (dominant) eye, but I have a sporadic problem that sometimes renders that eye blurry for an entire day or sometimes longer - so on those occasions I switch to the left eye. Always feels a little weird, but not significantly so...
03-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

Right or Left eye survey... - PentaxForums.com

03-20-2018, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both eyes open right eye shooter. It’s an acquired habit.
03-20-2018, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Here's an interesting challenge:

Each eye is associated with a different hemisphere of your brain, much like your handedness. It's why right handers in VERY broad general terms tend to be more analytical than left handers.

I am left eye dominant, but right handed. I just naturally put my camera to my right eye starting out so that is how I predominantly shoot, HOWEVER I have found that looking through the viewfinder with my left eye often gives me a VERY different perspective on the same scene I just composed with my right eye. My theory is that the "creative" right hemisphere is now playing more of role.

Sometimes I like it better, sometimes I compromise, at least 60% i stick with my original composition. What I have found, is that in scenes where I'm struggling to capture in a frame what I'm seeing with my eyes, it's often because the left eye isn't involved. More than once I've "found" what was missing. I've also unfortunately just shook my head on occasion and said, I just can't get "it". Time to move on.

The point of this rambling post is to note if your brain processes the scene differently using different eyes, and to try to learn how to use that to your advantage.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Both eyes open right eye shooter. It’s an acquired habit.
I only use this technique for my critter hunts, especially when shooting whales or other creatures where you don't know their location until they suddenly appear. For landscape work, I'm of the mindset that I'm shooting in 2D, I need to analyze and compose in the same 2D vision, so I only use one eye.
03-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What they said ^ ^ ^

What if I said that I use the eye that allows my nose to fit and work the controls? (In other words, no participation in this survey from me.) I am not strongly right or left-eyed, though I compose differently depending on which eye is used. With cameras having 1x viewfinders and both eyes clear, I leave both eyes open.

Steve
03-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When using a tripod I use live view and use both eyes. Other than that normally the left eye as I can hold the camera steadier, at least it seems that way.
03-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I answered left eye that's how I shoot landscape or studio. For sports and street, I force myself to shoot with my right eye while keeping both open for greater situational visibility.
03-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Growing up I was always right eye, right handed dominate. At the age of 63, I had lasik surgery to remove cataracts and got new lenses in both eyes. Since that time, I've become left eye dominate.
03-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
maw
Pentaxian

In my life whether it was shooting, telemetry, telescope observation, microscope, in short the dominant eye has always been the left. But I am right-handed.
03-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Right. I am very strongly right-eyed (and right-handed and right-footed). No other option even occurred to me.