Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I hauled out my old flash kit, it's completely dead, I mean won't power on even with new batteries, so it will be amateur day in the flash department. And Tess gave me the stern look and said "no new gear:. Apart from those things, it's no biggie.
Crud - If I were anywhere near you I'd loan you my flash bag - or ship something your way. But in the USA my shipping to you would be at least a week. I'd be curious (and you can feel free to start a new thread) to hear what gear you use and how it goes.

03-22-2018, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I have an old Pentax AF200T I'll use outdoors for fill flash, it was bought for use with my Program Plus and still works, and a Metz 36-5 for bounce, indoor for candids with the K-3.
What died was my optical slaves.
03-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The deal between JPEG and RAW is exposure and color (or B&W) rendering selection. In liveview mode I could shoot Jpeg without too much concern because LV metered exposure is the closest to ideal (=advantage to mirroless...). But I don't find Pentax AE through EVF to be accurate, it is usually within +-1.5 EV (I've always found that Pentax tend to underexpose, when Canon nails exposure every time), in that case RAW allow digital exposure compensation with only minor degradation of image quality.
03-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What died was my optical slaves.
Try leaving them plugged in overnight. I've revived old ones by doing that. Not a sure thing but worth a shot.

06-23-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #20

I'm shooting RAW+JPEG for 3 reasons:
1. JPEG is available for immediate use, for sharing for example, while RAW need some post-processing
2. Browsing software on PC cannot show RAW files with the same speed and resolution as JPEG files
3. If something wrong with SD card the chance to restore image with combination RAW+JPEG is 2 times more (and actually one time it helped me to restore image from Italy).
And later you can remove JPEG from camera and keep RAW just to save space.
06-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mylex Quote
I'm shooting RAW+JPEG for 3 reasons:
1. JPEG is available for immediate use, for sharing for example, while RAW need some post-processing
2. Browsing software on PC cannot show RAW files with the same speed and resolution as JPEG files
3. If something wrong with SD card the chance to restore image with combination RAW+JPEG is 2 times more (and actually one time it helped me to restore image from Italy).
And later you can remove JPEG from camera and keep RAW just to save space.
I like the way you think. Im going to start saving my files to separate cards.