Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 02:27 AM   #1

What would you do? Raw or JPEG

In the near future I will be attending my sons wedding. I am not the official photographer, they have hired a professional for that duty!!, but I will be taking informal shots of the day. These photos will probably spend the rest of their lives sat on my computer and viewed very occasionally if my other sons wedding photos are anything to go by. Less than 1% will be printed. So I have recently been converted to Raw and have Lightroom 6 for cataloguing and development but given the above would you shoot the wedding in JPEG or Raw?

03-22-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RAW. No questions about that.

If the light is changing or challenging, or you want to ensure that you get every last bit of quality from an image then RAW is the way to go.

If you are only shooting for snapshots then JPEG is your answer.

JPEG might make sense if you were shooting action under constant lighting conditions and you needed the maximum FPS from a camera that RAW with its larger file size and increased processing could not provide.

Regards

Chris
03-22-2018, 02:51 AM   #3

Why not RAW+JPEG that way you have the option of processing the RAWS if needed.
03-22-2018, 03:13 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David Cook Quote
In the near future I will be attending my sons wedding...
...So I have recently been converted to Raw and have Lightroom 6 for cataloguing and development but given the above would you shoot the wedding in JPEG or Raw?
Firstly, congratulations on your son's forthcoming wedding

Personally, I would (and always do) shoot RAW... but in your situation, having just recently switched, maybe RAW+ would be the best choice. I certainly wouldn't advise JPEG only, as you have much less latitude to deal with any exposure and dynamic range issues. Crushed shadows and blown highlights are gone for good with JPEG.

03-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the rapid responses. I had completely forgotten about Raw+. I think I will shoot Raw as Lightroom automatically converts the images to DNG if you choose that option. The original question was brought about because I can’t imagine that I would be doing any post processing but you never know!
03-22-2018, 04:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Typically I would use raw or raw + jpg. For the challenging pictures (dark rooms, high ISO, different light sources,... ) you can develop them from raw. For normal pictures use jpg and make small corrections with the jpg-illuminator.

Personally I'm working PEF raw only
03-22-2018, 04:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RAW!!! remember if it is a traditional wedding, one party will be wearing white with texture and fine detail, and the other party will be wearing something closer to black, processing from raw is your friend.
(or RAW+ is another option as suggested above)

03-22-2018, 04:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Raw only or at least raw+jpeg if file storage is not a problem. Raw helps you to fine tune the WB after shot while jpeg only is a big limitation. Obviously in the post processing with raw you can create a preset development in LR for shoots in the same conditions just to have a consistent starting point for finest development of the single pictures.
03-22-2018, 05:29 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Personally I would just enjoy my sons wedding and let the professional do his job. But if you do want to take your own pictures go for RAW.
03-22-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Personally I would just enjoy my sons wedding and let the professional do his job. But if you do want to take your own pictures go for RAW.
^THIS

My older daughter is getting married in nine days. I have no photographic plans apart from maybe some very early preparation shots before the Pro turns up.

Be in the moment. Support your boy. Shoot RAW
03-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RAW+ so you can more easily share some jpgs quickly if you want. I shoot with jpgs set to small and process raw later. This let's me share quickly to social media if needed, but doesn't take a lot of extra space.
03-22-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I'm shooting a wedding this weekend, I had allowed myself to forget, but now you guys are making me nervous. It's my first one in 25 years. I'm driving to London Ontario, staying two nights in a motel. It's a freebie for Tess' niece, so I thought it would be low key when I agreed to do it. Then the fun started.

\They've hired a limo, I'll be driving to different locations for wedding prep pictures, I'm supposed to get out first and get images of people getting in and out of the limo. I'm supposed to get pictures fo the bride and groom preparing for the wedding. They are picking me up at 11 o'clock and it will be after 5 when I'm done. At my age, I'm not even sure I can stay awake that long.

The moral of the story is "never volunteer". In all fairness the bride's family did offer to pay me. I'm looking at it as part of the wedding gift.

But because Tess and I got together late in life, I don't know that side of the family. So, it's not like there will be people I want to visit with. This is her brother's family. I've met them twice. So it will be pretty much just another day at the office. Exceept for the part where I haven't been to the office for 25 years, I hauled out my old flash kit, it's completely dead, I mean won't power on even with new batteries, so it will be amateur day in the flash department. And Tess gave me the stern look and said "no new gear:. Apart from those things, it's no biggie.

Last edited by normhead; 03-22-2018 at 06:57 AM.
03-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

As others have said, Absolutely, RAW or RAW+.......From experience, you *WANT* that RAW file. It gives you LOTS of wiggle room, changing light (indoor to outdoor) light color, color balance, etc. There are a whole stream of reasons for have that RAW file. Later, you can convert them all to JPG and delete the RAW files if you want.
03-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congratulations to you and your family. This is kinda once in a lifetime type occasion, then why take chances. Shoot in RAW+jpeg, you can always delete later.

Atindra
03-22-2018, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David Cook Quote
I think I will shoot Raw as Lightroom automatically converts the images to DNG if you choose that option.
1) There is no need to convert to DNG on import, if you use Adobe products you should (IMHO) be using the Pentax DNG as your RAW format. It is a setting in the camera with options for PEF and DNG. Way back when PEF was somewhat smaller so there was an advantage that way, but currently there is no significant difference and import to Lightroom flows faster if the files are already in DNG.
2) RAW or RAW+ is the way to go regardless of whether you do any post processing.
3) You should set up a Lightroom "import preset" to automatically develop your RAW files on import. That covers maybe 75% of the work on the bulk of my images. I only do extra post processing on exceptionally good images or images that were taken under poor conditions but I need anyway.