Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Sony telly and it is beautiful, but I haven’t had any problems with it yet! I have played with Sony phones and they are beautiful but the way they operate is average. I had a Sony bridge camera and it was great to use, my only complaint was its ability to handle noise. From what I have read and heard, Sony are beautiful and very capable but my main restrictor is cost. I started with Pentax because I got a cheap K30 and the bang for buck ratio was incredible. I have recently been looking for Nikon vintage primes for a friend and they are 4x dearer than their Pentax counterparts and it all comes down to brand popularity. I think I will probably stick with Pentax to the bitter end because it’s weaknesses are in areas into which I don’t really venture. I am glad you are still at home here. Of all the forums I have visited, this is by far the most helpful and supportive on a “real world” level

04-07-2018, 02:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, gear just isn't that important -- except as it gets in your way when you are taking photos. Most cameras are pretty capable these days and the limiting factor is generally the photographer, not the camera. I'm not a big fan of EVFs -- I think the big areas where EVFs help are with manual focusing and I am purely an auto focus guy. In addition, I prefer Pentax's ergonomics and so, as long as they are churning out traditional SLRs, I guess I'll stick with them.

I think when I first began with digital photography, I had a lot more gear envy, thinking that better gear was the answer to better photos. I was convinced that pros just had amazing photoshop skills -- many do, but the best get their photos right in camera as much as possible.

I suppose the threads I enjoy the most on this Forum have to do with images. Many are Pentax specific -- lens clubs and such -- but many are gear agnostic as well. Hope that things go well with your transition, LeDave and hope you come back to share your images with the rest of us.
04-07-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #18

I also have a Sony headphone, the wireless one for Playstation. It becomes the best torture tool whenever I wear my glass and put it on, it is like the water-dripping torment.
Surprisingly those Playstation are still running(the older version), though I had a Playstation 2 that broke so many time that we have to give up on fixing it.

I would love an EVF when I using my MTO-1000 with more than one teleconverter, the OVF gets kind of dark even in the morning, well, it is f/42 after 2 2X.
I tried LV, but the sunlight kind of make it difficult to see, and it is kind of slow in K-5IIs. (Hope the K-1 is better, it is still miles away from my home.)

I also got gear envy when at the beginning, I was like saving up for the best FF, spent hours, days, weeks to dig up all the info I can to pinpoint which brand is the best.
I spent more time looking into gears than taking photos. The "want" got me really good, luckily I cooled my head and woke up.
My friend wasn't so lucky, spent more than 10K on the first buy, (A7R2, 12-24, 24-70, 70-200+a lot more.), and I rarely see her taking any photo after the first few weeks.
Also her A7R2 got fried chip after one trip to Europe.
04-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You might notice that it's no different from Pentaxians going bananas when the K-1 came out. The realisation that if you shoot crap with APS-C then full frame will just magnify that crap.