Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera Brand Culture Shock (Pentax to Sony).

All of my Pentax gear are gone now. I am now almost a full fledged Sony shooter...

I've never shot full frame before, been Pentaxian for 9 years with APS-C only. K-2000(K-m). K-7, K-5, K-3, and having just recently swapped to Sony full frame, my first full frame (Still awaiting for the A7iii to ship). I've spent a lot of time in some of their community and especially the a7iii Facebook group. Wow, I have to say though, if there were such a religion called Gearheadism for Pentax and Sony only, it would be at least 75% be made up of Sony shooters. It's a huge jump from Pentax to Sony, not just camera-wise but community-wise. Being on Pentax forums for awhile, I can definitely say the community here contain a lot less of a gear addicts. Sony shooters, at least their full framers, are very proud of their equipment, expensive equipment. Now I am only comparing Sonyians to Pentaxians because I have never shot with CaNikon before. But wow... still, the differential between Pentax and Sony communities are quite substantial.

I am still awaiting for my a7iii with the 28-70 kit lens, having already bought a 70-200 f4 G. I've been researching a lot on the 28-70 glass and it is a solid performer, not bad at all. But from through researching, I also see that people talk down on this lens like it's the very ultimate omega wolf in the pack. From forum posts to comments on Youtube videos, they like bashing it and acting as if it's the worst thing to come out from Sony full frame lenses. It may be not as good in comparison to some other Sony lens but it's in no way bad at all, not at all from what I've researched! This lens is stellar especially for the price.

Last thing, they are rich! You'll only know if you ever become a Sony convert, I am done ranting here. Gearheadism. I guess I'll get used to this community. I mean I am a gearhead myself, not to the extremes though. Although swapping to Sony, I am going to spend a lot of time here because it's where I feel I belong most of the time when it comes to talking photography.

04-03-2018, 06:20 PM - 7 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I changed format.
I never told a soul (well at least for a month or two).
I just made photos.

Enjoy your new kit, but remember, it’s a means to an end. Do not be defined by your gear.
04-03-2018, 06:30 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like the difference between photographers and gadget buyers -- very different cultures!

Enjoy the Sony but perhaps you'll come back to Pentax when you find that top specs don't make as much difference to photography as some would claim.
04-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

I, too, have ordered a SONY a7III, but likely for different reasons than LeDave. I shoot as much video as stills and I wanted a 4K, low light performer to augment my GH4 and the a7III seems to be outstanding for this application, if not quite as advanced as the GH5. I also wanted a full frame back up for my K1. FWIW, the Pentax 60-250mm, even if unmodified for FF use, is exceptional from 60-200, even on a K1. I found it the equal of my previously used Canon 70-200 F4. So, I'm not sure the SONY lens would offer any advantage. The SONY a7III should be exceptional in shooting speed and focus tracking but for landscape shooting the K1 still far outperforms the a7III, and in areas such as dynamic range, S/N, color depth, is its equal or superior. Unless you need the FPS and focus tracking of the a7III, or video capability, as a high resolution FF camera, the K1 still remains a better value, in my opinion.

Last edited by CDW; 04-03-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Additional comment
04-03-2018, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I was offered to replace my Pentax K1 system by Sony A7III system. I tried, I did not like the EVF causing me eye strain (but apparently it's the best and everyone should buy into that), but for what I do, I did not find it would make any difference with my K1 system. If I'd switch, to get the Sony equivalent of Pentax DFA glass, it would cost me an arm. And the more I use my K1 system, the more I find it is a good camera, it handles so well, image quality is excellent and the user interface is rather simple and straightforward without compromising manual control. I've tried the Sony A7III with the 28-70 in dim light and I found the K1 with DFA28-105 to focus significantly faster. Of course Pentax K1 doesn't have 4K video recording, but I don't even use HD video. The best is to try before we buy.
04-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sony have such an aggressive promotional program. Here in the shops , they manage to blow Canon, Nikon, Fuji away from the displays, we only see Sony Ads in big bold letters on the front page of camera shops. It's as if there is no choice anymore, we all must buy Sony, even if we don't like.
04-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have always shot primarily Pentax so I've got limited experience of the forums of other brand-specific groups, but people who do have experience often say that Pentax forums are a lot more civilised.

I suggest keeping a few Pentax legacy lenses around and using them with an adaptor to keep yourself a little more integrated with the crowd over on this side of the fence

As for the 28-70, it sounds like the opinions people have of the Fujifilm 18mm f/2. I read countless reports that it isn't sharp, it's a poor performer etc etc before buying. Now I have one and it's a fantastic lens. It's not the sharpest wide open at the edges but it doesn't need to be. In short, people blow minor weaknesses all out of proportion when it comes to photo gear.

04-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sony being a corporation must already have a team that is experience in launching, promoting etc.. None of the traditional camera makers can beat Sony in that regard. Sony left the laptop business when it become less profitable. They may do that to camera business also. Still camera business is not native to Sony.
04-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sony have such an aggressive promotional program.

Well, that's probably true. The problem is that the marketing is not followed by any customer support once they get you.

Some years ago I invested into a nice carbon Vaio laptop. Support from Sony, updates, new drivers, etc.? Zero. Later I was explained that the problem of Sony is that they fully focus on hardware but somehow ignore the software side (like the software wouldn't be also (important) part of their product.)
04-04-2018, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #10

That's why there is 索尼大法好 in Chinese forum.

I am interested on Sony too, but they too expensive...and fragile...I am planing to go 2 systems, if I have enough money.

I go wandering around a lot with my Pentax, and I will not bring a sony to anywhere I wander into, one hit on the ground and it is gone.

For wildlife and bird in the future, I may pick either sony or nikon.
04-04-2018, 04:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
All of my Pentax gear are gone now. I am now almost a full fledged Sony shooter...

I've never shot full frame before, been Pentaxian for 9 years with APS-C only. K-2000(K-m). K-7, K-5, K-3, and having just recently swapped to Sony full frame, my first full frame (Still awaiting for the A7iii to ship). I've spent a lot of time in some of their community and especially the a7iii Facebook group. Wow, I have to say though, if there were such a religion called Gearheadism for Pentax and Sony only, it would be at least 75% be made up of Sony shooters. It's a huge jump from Pentax to Sony, not just camera-wise but community-wise. Being on Pentax forums for awhile, I can definitely say the community here contain a lot less of a gear addicts. Sony shooters, at least their full framers, are very proud of their equipment, expensive equipment. Now I am only comparing Sonyians to Pentaxians because I have never shot with CaNikon before. But wow... still, the differential between Pentax and Sony communities are quite substantial.

I am still awaiting for my a7iii with the 28-70 kit lens, having already bought a 70-200 f4 G. I've been researching a lot on the 28-70 glass and it is a solid performer, not bad at all. But from through researching, I also see that people talk down on this lens like it's the very ultimate omega wolf in the pack. From forum posts to comments on Youtube videos, they like bashing it and acting as if it's the worst thing to come out from Sony full frame lenses. It may be not as good in comparison to some other Sony lens but it's in no way bad at all, not at all from what I've researched! This lens is stellar especially for the price.

Last thing, they are rich! You'll only know if you ever become a Sony convert, I am done ranting here. Gearheadism. I guess I'll get used to this community. I mean I am a gearhead myself, not to the extremes though. Although swapping to Sony, I am going to spend a lot of time here because it's where I feel I belong most of the time when it comes to talking photography.
As long as the gear you buy makes you happy and you bought it because it has all it needs for the type of photography you do, that's all that matters. I shoot with a lot of cameras despite that I own a very capable Canon full frame camera and I can tell you that there isn't anymore an APS-C or full frame camera from competition about which I can say that it produce bad images in terms of IQ (as long as you know their limits of course ). There are a lot of people who like to pixel peep images but at the end of the day their images end up resized for web and most of the times those images are also distroyed by Facebook algorithms.

When I stoped searching for the best camera in the world, I started to enjoy photography. I enjoy shooting with Fuji, Nikon, Sony, Olympus cameras (despite that EVF gives me headaches) and with every new camera that I shoot with I realise that I have more than I already need.

If there is something that I wish to see in the new generation of photographers, well... I would love to see young photographers interested in taking unique images instead of being more and more interested in having the best dynamic range, the best af, the biggest resolution...

You will like A7 III in terms of af and image quality. You just have to adapt your shooting style a little because it takes a little to become familiar with the menu, with the placement of the buttons, with the handling, the EVF, etc.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 04-04-2018 at 04:48 AM.
04-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Well, that's probably true. The problem is that the marketing is not followed by any customer support once they get you.

Some years ago I invested into a nice carbon Vaio laptop. Support from Sony, updates, new drivers, etc.? Zero. Later I was explained that the problem of Sony is that they fully focus on hardware but somehow ignore the software side (like the software wouldn't be also (important) part of their product.)
And not just in camera or laptop. I bought their top of the line BT noise cancelling headset for $400 last Christmas. Yup, it’s not that expensive, but it’s not cheap either. MDR1000X. While I personally feel that their noise cancelling technology tops Bose’s famed noise cancelling, after three months I’m beginning to regret the decision, as I’m now experiencing first hand how fragile Sony’s plastics are. And the support? They’re actually blaming their customers, as if we want to be hassled arguing or claiming warranty with them. As for me, hopefully I’m done with anything Sony by this time. I’ve learned my lessons now. This is not the first time, the first one is with a mobile phone. With a little help from 3M adhesive tape, this headset will be a constant reminder never to buy anything Sony again. The technology and superiority in features are there. Great. The quality? not so much. The support? non-existent.
04-06-2018, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
And not just in camera or laptop. I bought their top of the line BT noise cancelling headset for $400 last Christmas. Yup, it’s not that expensive, but it’s not cheap either. MDR1000X. While I personally feel that their noise cancelling technology tops Bose’s famed noise cancelling, after three months I’m beginning to regret the decision, as I’m now experiencing first hand how fragile Sony’s plastics are. And the support? They’re actually blaming their customers, as if we want to be hassled arguing or claiming warranty with them. As for me, hopefully I’m done with anything Sony by this time. I’ve learned my lessons now. This is not the first time, the first one is with a mobile phone. With a little help from 3M adhesive tape, this headset will be a constant reminder never to buy anything Sony again. The technology and superiority in features are there. Great. The quality? not so much. The support? non-existent.
Sony = Rootkit. That’s all I’ve needed to know about their corporate values.

.:
04-06-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sony = Rootkit. That’s all I’ve needed to know about their corporate values
I was just going to mention the rootkit scandal, but you beat me to it :-

Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal - Wikipedia

The issue was huge in the IT world, almost like the Cambridge-Analytics/Facebook row today. Sony used to make the best tube TVs (Trinitrons) but now I would never buy Sony on principle.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 04-06-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Typo
04-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
And not just in camera or laptop.

Yes, I could also complain about my TV and AVR. But others summed it up for me:

The Sony Android TV Experience (2018/Nougat)

CountrySelector - Sony

Sorrowful reading, isn't it?