Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photos of yours that you love but nobody else does

We all have those: photos you are proud of but other people either yawn at or recoil in disgust from.

Here's mine:

I just think it works. Colours, composition...I dunno.

What're yours?

04-03-2018, 08:12 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's a recent one of mine I really like. It has a graceful feel like an impressionist painting in my humble opinion. This is actually a tight crop from an out-of-focus background from a much larger image. It was a frustrating day with loads of excessive heat radiation, which made even properly focused pictures appear soft due to atmospheric distortion. So I embrace the look by grabbing a crop outside the DOF and turned out a piece of art (at least to me). I posted it on social media to a big "Ho hum" response.
04-03-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Here's a recent one of mine I really like. It has a graceful feel like an impressionist painting in my humble opinion. This is actually a tight crop from an out-of-focus background from a much larger image. It was a frustrating day with loads of excessive heat radiation, which made even properly focused pictures appear soft due to atmospheric distortion. So I embrace the look by grabbing a crop outside the DOF and turned out a piece of art (at least to me). I posted it on social media to a big "Ho hum" response.
See, I think that's a great shot, art from adversity and trying new things.
04-03-2018, 08:33 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can find shots my wife doesn't like that I like... I'm not sure I can find any that most people dislike that I like.

04-03-2018, 08:34 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I heard a thump...

(...not really in love with the photo, but definitely think it works...)

Steve
04-03-2018, 08:44 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I pick a photo from my Instagram account. I like every pixel of this photo, but it gets around 50% less like when compared to another photo posted in the same time period which...well, I am a bit disappointed.

It was taken by DA15 + K5.
from what I remember, when I start composting this scene, only 2 people on the left was there talking. Within less than a second, after I rise my camera, people start to walk past me I have to hit the shutter before I am ready. The 2 priests in particular. they just walk in - change direction in front of me and walk away. so here we go, my lucky street shot in Rome which doesn't get enough love on my Instagram.

04-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With no followers and no one you follow that's not a surprise. I took a look and found several to fave.

04-03-2018, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Here's one of my infamous "blurry truck" photos. I shoot these out of a moving car while panning at 1/8th of a second. No photoshop manipulations here.

My wife just hates these blurry vehicle photos! She thinks all photos should be realistic and "sharp". Myself, I kind of like the blurry/abstract/impressionistic style of these blurry vehicle photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D300  Photo 
04-03-2018, 11:00 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

My fovourite photos are usually a bit understated, wistful. The over processed high-key poke-in-the-eye type of shots seem to get more reaction. Not my style.

04-03-2018, 11:38 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one is in amongst a set where I nailed a sunset and boats and things so it gets overlooked. I love this because of what it represents to me, namely that human endeavour fails but nature keeps rolling on. The picture is taken from a bridge on an abandoned railway line. I love the curves I got from the Pentax fish eye and the curves of the river. I tend to love moody and melancholic, tree silhouettes etc but my wife only likes crisp clarity. Hey ho
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-03-2018, 11:57 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So many to chose from - usually it's a result of doing something a bit different from what I usually do - I can understand how on Flickr or other sharing sites, people follow you because they like what you normally do, and you join groups appropriate to that, so fwer of the people who would like the different picture get to see it. Also, it's difficult disentangling your own feelings about and experiment that was reasonably successful in your own terms (ie excited) from the actual image. Sometimes you just do something that satisfies something in you that doesn't resonate with other people - which is probably closest to the spirit of the thread. This is typical of all of those for me - but there are plenty of other examples

04-04-2018, 12:59 AM - 3 Likes   #12

It is not that bad street photo for me but many viewers didn't like it due to sexist character of the picture. It is just a women walking with dog.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-04-2018, 01:16 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nobody Quote
It is not that bad street photo for me but many viewers didn't like it due to sexist character of the picture. It is just a women walking with dog.
Art comments on politics: good
Politics comments on art: bad

04-04-2018, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I have weird taste so there are lots lol. Here's one that I absolutely love for many reasons and most are just wtf.
04-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I have weird taste so there are lots lol. Here's one that I absolutely love for many reasons and most are just wtf.
That's hard to imagine being unloved. I think it's hilarious.

---------- Post added 04-04-18 at 01:46 PM ----------

I'll say this. I'm unaware of any photo of mine that no one else seems to find aesthetically pleasing that I in turn think is wonderful. I have found mostly the opposite. I find I'm harder on my work than others. I post a photo with my own reservations and then someone likes it or comments positively on it. Frankly I find that more often than this. I'm still digging through the photos trying to find one that got no positive reactions and still spoke to me.