Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
No electronic is perfectly sealed, especially ones where the lens comes off exposing the innards of the device to the elements, but Pentax does a really good job of it.

2 KP’s or 2 K-1m2’s, DA*, DFA*, or DFA lenses (with spares, lenses break too) to suit the mission, and spare batteries and cards.

Where are you headed?
Mainly, I plan to shoot some nasty weather. No real expedition planned for me, but it seemed a good way to frame the question.

Cheers, Jock

04-09-2018, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So it's not a question of a once in a lifetime trip or a high paying gig, but more a "I want my equipment to last" type question? I think any of the modern Pentax's with weather sealing will be perfectly suitable, within reason.

I have no problem wearing my K-30 around my neck on a snowmobile with a HD DA 20-40 Limited. I'll fearlessly shoot in the rain with it and my DA*50-135, just use the hood so you keep water off the front element. My only concern would be the beach, due to blowing and and salt, but as long as you remember to wipe it off with a wet rag (using FRESH water) it should be fine. I wouldn't shoot in a hurricane, but honestly what's there worth taking pictures of in the middle of the storm?
04-09-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me the choices would lie in the Pentax K-3II, K-1 or K-1 II for cameras, and the Pentax 15-30, 24-70, 70-210, and 150-450 for lenses. Picking from those choices would depend on what the subject and environment factors are that the user plans on encountering. This is considering the user would want the wide aperture of the 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 along with the telephoto coverage of the 150-450. I would recommend multiple Pentax exclusive batteries also for power.

There are lighter options, and if zoom is not required of the user, a selection of primes may cover needs. The lighter zooms is where the less width of apertures would most likely start to factor in, but if you are just planning on longer exposures with a tripod or a well lit environment, then they may be appropriate.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-09-2018 at 09:36 AM.
04-09-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I'll fearlessly shoot in the rain with it and my DA*50-135, just use the hood so you keep water off the front element. My only concern would be the beach, due to blowing and and salt, but as long as you remember to wipe it off with a wet rag (using FRESH water) it should be fine.
After using UV / protector filters for years, I gradually stopped doing so in good weather, but I still have one fitted to any lens I take out with me. If conditions are OK, I remove it and shoot with just the hood... but if I'm at the beach, or in very dusty, gritty, wet and windy conditions, I leave the filter fitted so I can quickly wipe it clean without worrying about contaminants. It's a personal choice, and I only recommend it if the user's priorities are the same as mine - but I find it a very convenient way to work in adverse weather

04-09-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jock Elliott:
... exposed to all sorts of weather conditions and environmental hazards ... Mainly, I plan to shoot some nasty weather. No real expedition planned for me, but it seemed a good way to frame the question ...
Do you have a budget in mind? The KP is a great general purpose camera. If you are doing landscapes much more often than wildlife, and the extra cost and size isn't an issue, the K1 is worthy of a look.

What do you like to photograph? That dictates lens choice.
  • Landscapes: The 16-85 would be my choice for the KP. The 28-105 or 24-70 are good options with the K1.
  • Wildlife: 60-250 for larger animals you can safely approach, or the 150-450 for smaller critters but consider the weight of the lens (long telephotos are large and heavy).
Regardless of camera and lens choice, a few accessories to help during bad weather:
  • Rain sleeve: Make this your first level of protection for keeping heavy snow, rain, and salt spray off your gear. Weather resistance offers a 2nd level, or is okay by itself for less extreme conditions.
  • Protective filter (aka UV filter): This one is a matter of opinion. I suggest a filter for environments that can scratch or leave difficult to clean residue on the front lens element. The filter can lessen image quality, though, so don't use it all the time. Regular snow or rain = no protective filter. Salt spray or sand storm = use a filter.
  • Bag or carrying case: Many backpacks can keep out rain. If you'll frequently be crossing water, either fording streams or by canoe, consider a waterproof case (heavy), dry bag (cheap way to keep using your existing camera bag), or Lowepro's Dryzone backpacks (other manufacturers might offer similar).
04-09-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

If you're shooting weather, or storm chasing, I think the 15-30 would be mandatory. The 24-70 might be necessary if you need to use a screw-on protective filter though.
04-09-2018, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To climb Kilimanjaro last year I took a K-3 and 18-135 and it did pretty well, I think. I also brought a 50/1.8 and 15/4 but used the zoom the majority of the time. I also carried a mini tripod, the Ultrapod II. In addition I brought a 55-300 to take on safari after the climb but I didn't carry that one up the mountain.

My criteria was that it needed to be compact(ish), light(ish), sealed, and somewhat expendable while giving the best IQ I can get meeting those requirements. I already owned this stuff too so that was a factor.

If I didn't need to carry it all so far on foot I might have gone with my K-1 and a few lenses but this being what it was I needed to keep it lighter.

---------- Post added 04-09-18 at 12:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jock Elliott Quote
Mainly, I plan to shoot some nasty weather. No real expedition planned for me, but it seemed a good way to frame the question.

Cheers, Jock
Ah, given that I'd second the K-1 and 15-30 combo.

Or how about a 645Z and either the 25/4 or 28-45/4?

04-09-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Assuming you're not planning to spend car-sized budgets on the camera, the 645 is out. Assuming you want to buy new, that leaves 4 (if you're lucky) to choose from...or 3 if you want a current production model.

1) Least budget: K-70
2) Full Frame: K-1
3) Smallest/hippest: KP
or (if you can find one)
4) Best: K-3II (IMO)

Then choose a WR lens in the focal length range you like and you're done.
04-09-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #24
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You later say it actually is not for an expedition, but keeping with your original script, and most importantly:
-- digital means batteries, so if a longer expedition you will need a means to charge batteries (solar or mechanical?)
-- an even more reliable backup, namely an all mechanical film camera and a few rolls of film.

Although I don't like/use AF lenses outdoors, I suppose (for most shooters) a moderate focal range or single FL (about 28-to 35 mm FF equivalent) AF lens. And then more specialized lens(es)--pick from macro, telephoto, fisheye, etc..

For the digital Pentax camera a reliable one based on my past experience, and where I know (reliably) of others. I don't have enough experience with my digitals--having only used the K-20D (which failed when I took it in winter) and the Q.
-- Likely I would take my K-5 if I can take the weight
-- if not the Q **
-- while less reliable the Kx** is lighter and a couple of sets of lithium AA batteries will last a long time.
_____
** I don't place much reliance on "weather proof" equipment. If need to use in the rain/sitting in water I take a Nikonos III amphibious camera.
04-09-2018, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You can choose any camera/lens combo or any fixed lens camera, so long as it is a digital Pentax
Any of the waterproof P&S models.

Steve
04-09-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

It may be useful to choose a model with a battery grip, because in the grip you can use normal 6 AA-cells or an additional D LI-90. AA-cells you can everyware around the world. If there is no change to charge the original battery take the AA-ones.

And yes I know that I said take a KP in my last post. If you don't use a grip i'll stick it, otherwise K3-II or K-1
04-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Keep in mind cold weather and gloves. The larger K1 might be easier to handle than the KP. If you're photographing near your warm vehicle it's not a big concern; you can wear lighter gloves and rewarm hands inside as needed.
04-09-2018, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple. K5 with the grip and DA*16-50. 40k + shots in all kinds of conditions.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-09-2018 at 05:47 PM.
04-10-2018, 01:53 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Any of the waterproof P&S models.

Steve
I don't know of any with a viewfinder.

Cheers, Jock
04-10-2018, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know of any with a viewfinder.

Cheers, Jock
Confining yourself to a viewfinder camera and thereby eliminating all of the excellent 100% waterproof, good to 10 feet down P&S cameras seems to me a bad idea. Whatever water-resistant, weather-sealed Pentax + lens combo you decide upon, for pity sake invest in a submersible P&S that has features you like and take it along as a back-up. Seems to me, considering the conditions you expect to encounter, a camera that can be dropped into the mud, rinsed in a puddle, wiped clean with a dirty sock and then function 100% normally is vastly more valuable than a viewfinder.